Return to “General”

Re: The General Unhappiness Megathread

I know that pair programming is an overused fad-of-the-day, but I think there are times and situations where it would be invaluable. Josh, to me, comes off as a poster child for what pair programming was invented for... explaining to a second programmer what you're doing and why can ground you in reality. It would let Josh focus on the coding, and let the pair post what's up.

I know it's an extra salary, and it's unrealistic, and a host of other things... but I suspect that Josh could use the grounding that a co-worker brings.

Sorry for the aside, but the second-pair-of-eyes anecdotes made me think of it.

Ringu wrote: I wonder if the similar observation of history is why we both like Freelancer...?
Although we have experienced very different lives, Ringu, I'd like to think that you and many others who have contributed to the conversations we have had in these forums over the years can say we appreciate good games when we see them. :D

I enjoy reading the personal experiences of those who have chosen a different path in life to my own. It seems such a pity that the wellspring of talent and maturity that is evident in the postings in these forums appears to have been overlooked so often by Josh.

As I've said on numerous occasions, I'm here because I wanted a successor to what is now a fairly ancient game. I still have a flickering candle of hope that the coding warrior can deliver that game.

This cursed optimism of mine will be the death of me. :angel:

Grumblesaur wrote:
Ringu wrote:I had to increase the amount of memory being allocated to stop out of memory errors from happening :-) (because the garbage collector wasn't working quickly enough to release the smaller blocks in time).
So the address space was so fragmented that larger allocations didn't have enough contiguous space?
The larger allocations were the answer - the bug was that the machine would allocate smaller chunks and fill them up and they were not getting returned back to the free pool quickly enough, so it fairly soon couldn't allocate more.
Setting that to larger chunks meant it took longer to fill them up, so the garbage collector on this particular device had time to free old ones before they were needed again.
I believe (this was about 14 years ago) I had to increase them by a factor of ten to get it to work reliably - some JVM's are very poorly written!
--
Mind The Gap

Ringu wrote:Wow! Jerry Garcia on banjo! There's something you don't see every day
It's what he started out playing. If you like the bluegrass style, that OAITW album is excellent - their cover of Wild Horses is superb! Alas, I no longer have the vinyl - sold my whole collection a few years ago when I sold the turntable.
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote: I no longer have the vinyl - sold my whole collection a few years ago when I sold the turntable.
Sacrilege! I've still got every vinyl I ever bought (from late '60s on) and the new USB turntables let you rip them to computer if you wish or just keep playing that sweet vinyl. Of course, we've all moved on, I mean, who wants to go flip an album over every 20 minutes these days.

Anyway, back OT, (somewhat) I do agree that a second set of eyes helps tremendously regardless of what you do for a living (and if you think about it, in some abstract context, we're Josh's second set of eyes - IF he'd ever give us a progress report).

As I've said though, even if he comes back again and says he's still chugging away, it will mean very little. The faith, trust and hype is nearly gone.

Sacrilege? <chortles> Possibly - but I had an expensive turntable gathering dust. It went to a good home, as did the vinyl.
You don't need a USB turntable to digitise stuff - just good software, which I used for the rare items.

As for a second set of eyes, I found printed copy (rather than on-screen) sometimes helped find elusive bugs (and typos).
Oolite Naval Attaché

Online Now