Return to “General”

Re: The General Unhappiness Megathread

Chunjee wrote:
Ringu wrote:
Chunjee wrote:While going through the current state of another project:

2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are proof that LT is NOT non-existent tech.
The last point may be happening, and may be the cause of the first point.
Like I said it was in context of a different project.

If you want to apply it to LT:
1, maybe 2, 6, maybe 7. Calm down.
Just remember that in general (prior to the dark days) Josh was completely open with #2. I don't think there was ever been a time when he's been secretive or refusing to reveal anything. If anything, the only thing he hasn't revealed is the actual code itself which he has even shown screenshots from time to time.

As for #6, that's pretty much the basis for ANY software-related project on Kickstarter.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

HolyAvengerOne wrote:If we just consider the last ~18 months, then all those statements are true, aren't they? Except #6, maybe?
How are you arriving at that conclusion??
Refusing to give a launch date.
True.
Refusing to talk about the tech, claiming confidentiality or trade secrets.
Not true. Josh has always talked about the tech. In the last ~18 months he's talked about almost nothing at all but that's different to refusing to talk about the tech -- and even then he has divulged information about his switch to a specific version of Python and varying ways of using that. High-level information for sure, but information nevertheless. Not talking in general is surely different to being secretive about technology in particular.
Using news of investments or hires as evidence of technological progress.
Clearly not true!
Promoting itself on a big stage rather than in a small room.
In the last ~18 months? Not true (and perhaps arguable at any time, depending on whether you consider Kickstarter to be "a big stage", and whether you separate "promoting" from "crowd-funding").
Offering a well-crafted message and vision but becoming immediately vague when pushed on actual details.
Not true. The last ~18 months have been sorely lacking in well-crafted messages from Josh!
Offering "exclusive access" – with restrictions.
In the last ~18 months? Not true.
Confusing working hard with making progress.
Unknown.

I honestly cannot understand when someone tries to make an argument based on what happened during the "Golden Days", or when someone else claims that "becoming immediately vague when pushed on actual details" is not true.

In particular because today is, by coincidence, the 2nd year aniversary of what can be easily considered the last time that anything was said about game content: the last video-update. Thus, "during Golden Days" goes back to simply 24 months ago.

Now, classifying "confusing working hard with making progress" as unknown is shocking. That is the very summary of what Josh did plenty of times already. And again, if not having any piece of information about the game's content in 24 months does not allow people to assume lack of progress, well, then let's just announce it for all indie developers and AAA companies. I'm pretty sure they all will be pretty relieved!

Dromeda5 wrote:I honestly cannot understand when someone tries to make an argument based on what happened during the "Golden Days", or when someone else claims that "becoming immediately vague when pushed on actual details" is not true.
I'm claiming that "Offering a well-crafted message and vision but becoming immediately vague when pushed on actual details." is not true. I believe you're considering some statement which is different to that one.
Now, classifying "confusing working hard with making progress" as unknown is shocking. That is the very summary of what Josh did plenty of times already.
Setting aside the fact that Josh has made plenty of progress in the past, do we know whether he's been acting the way you describe in the past 18 months? No, we do not. Hence -- not shockingly -- "unknown".
And again, if not having any piece of information about the game's content in 24 months does not allow people to assume lack of progress, well, then let's just announce it for all indie developers and AAA companies. I'm pretty sure they all will be pretty relieved!
Not having any piece of information means we can assume neither progress nor lack of progress.

Employee 2-4601 wrote:I'm claiming that "Offering a well-crafted message and vision but becoming immediately vague when pushed on actual details." is not true. I believe you're considering some statement which is different to that one.
I was not talking specifically about your previous post in that part, but anyways, if you don't see how clear it is that such point is true when today it ammounts 24 months of no game content, be happy.
Employee 2-4601 wrote:Setting aside the fact that Josh has made plenty of progress in the past, do we know whether he's been acting the way you describe in the past 18 months? No, we do not. Hence -- not shockingly -- "unknown".

And again, if not having any piece of information about the game's content in 24 months does not allow people to assume lack of progress, well, then let's just announce it for all indie developers and AAA companies. I'm pretty sure they all will be pretty relieved! Not having any piece of information means we can assume neither progress nor lack of progress.
Here I was talking specifically about your previous post. I was very careful with my words because I knew that such common reply was coming. Read my post again. Or even better, don't bother. As I said, feel free to announce such good news to all gamedevs and AAA. They will be happy to learn that lack of progress is configured only when they either post 218 versions of the game's UI in a row or when they come public to say "we are not making progress!".

Dromeda5, I'm merely being particular about the words. If we don't know things, we don't know things. I suspect we're all somewhat dubious about the state of the game, but Josh is the only person who knows -- everyone else can do no more than speculate.

Similarly regarding the other comment -- I steadfastly maintain that "Offering a well-crafted message and vision but becoming immediately vague when pushed on actual details." is not true of Josh and Limit Theory -- and "24 months of no game content" is simply immaterial to this. The long silence absolutely sucks, and is quite possibly a terrible sign for the project, but it does not make the original statement somehow truthful.

I don't feel that Limit Theory is in a good place, and I'm not defending Josh. I'm just saying that statements-which-are-not-true are not true.

Online Now