Return to “General”

Re: The General Unhappiness Megathread

jasonbarron wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Dunno, I would be quite mad if LT came out as a multiplayer-only game with no offline mode :ghost:
At this point wouldn't you just be happy if it actually came out at all? I know I sure would.
Why would I prefer a game I don't want and won't buy that is out over one I do want that isn't out yet? There are plenty of the first kind on steam already. :P
I mean, I actually still wanted to buy ED even after the online debacle, but still haven't because they also cut everything out of their design docs I actually wanted, so it keeps getting meh'd down my wishlist.
So yes, I'd prefer the E:D I wanted to come out in two years over what was actually released. Same for LT.
IronDuke wrote: Long story short, he dun losted moneys. :P :ghost:
And if he hit his money goal, why would he need to salvage the KS? :think: :ghost:
You're a bit confused :P
He announced there would be offline SP during the KS campaign before they hit the funding goal. The influx of backers pushed it into "backed territory".
Later, as soon as alpha is out he sold alpha and beta packages, still under the presumption that there would be offline SP in the final release.
Then, shortly before launch he announced there wouldn't be.
People got refunded, yes, but a ton of people were refused refunds too - as soon as you touched the beta, you were denied any refunds, even if you bought it on the premise there would be offline SP later.
Given the fact that everyone who wanted a refund wouldn't have bought the game and a ton of people who wanted a refund still didn't get one, he did get a lot of money from people who wouldn't have given it to him otherwise.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:He announced there would be offline SP during the KS campaign before they hit the funding goal. The influx of backers pushed it into "backed territory".
He actually announced it fairly early on, after the initial interest waned and people were saying, "I don't really want an Elite MMO." He suddenly backpedalled and said, "Oh no, it's not an MMO, you'll be able to play it offline!"

A lot of problems people were having with the design and alphas/betas, especially with regards to player interaction, were assuaged with "Well, at the very least you'll be able to play offline."
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Dinosawer wrote: You're a bit confused :P
He announced there would be offline SP during the KS campaign before they hit the funding goal. The influx of backers pushed it into "backed territory".
Later, as soon as alpha is out he sold alpha and beta packages, still under the presumption that there would be offline SP in the final release.
Then, shortly before launch he announced there wouldn't be.
People got refunded, yes, but a ton of people were refused refunds too - as soon as you touched the beta, you were denied any refunds, even if you bought it on the premise there would be offline SP later.
Given the fact that everyone who wanted a refund wouldn't have bought the game and a ton of people who wanted a refund still didn't get one, he did get a lot of money from people who wouldn't have given it to him otherwise.
:oops: Derp. :shh: :ghost:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Employee 2-4601 wrote:
jasonbarron wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Dunno, I would be quite mad if LT came out as a multiplayer-only game with no offline mode :ghost:
At this point wouldn't you just be happy if it actually came out at all?
In all honesty, no -- and I don't understand why anyone would be happy about that, if the game wasn't what it was supposed to be.

The "it's super-late, so just release something" theory is crazy -- that means all the time was for nothing, and no one is happy (seriously -- after the initial excitement of the release, a bad game is nothing more than a bad game).

If it actually reaches the point where Josh has to give up, then sure -- release what you've got. But until that point, I'd much rather wait for the game he described in the first place.
As far as full release 1.0 LT, yes. However, not for the beta. I think it might be best to release the beta with "whatever he has ready".
My Signature

Let's say that Josh has something he could release to us. What is the least amount of a game that you guys would accept at this point? How much content and features do you believe need to be completed for a releasing of Limit Theory to be acceptable? How incomplete should LT be for the beta release build?

Three ways of asking pretty much the same question. I just want to make sure I'm being fairly clear as to what I'm asking.

I kinda was, but not entirely. I know Elite has single player (which is the only reason I still want to get it at some point), but it does not have offline play. They're different things. Offline = does not require a connection to the Elite servers. Even in single player you have to be conected or you can't play.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:I kinda was, but not entirely. I know Elite has single player (which is the only reason I still want to get it at some point), but it does not have offline play. They're different things. Offline = does not require a connection to the Elite servers. Even in single player you have to be conected or you can't play.

yes, i just checked, you can play single player but still need to be online, connected to their servers, you wont see other players, but trade data and missions
are still affected by other players.

Either way i dont mind that, I just wanted to play ED in solo so i didnt get my ship blown up by other players :D (at least untill i can hit a barn door at 50 paces )

Employee 2-4601 wrote:
BFett wrote:How incomplete should LT be for the beta release build?
Beta means it's "feature complete" (but likely still quite buggy), so... it should be pretty complete (but likely still quite buggy).
Normally. It was also my understanding that he wanted to release a mostly complete beta.

He also planned to release the beta 6 months after the prototype. Plans change, and I think at this point an incomplete beta with patches every couple months could make enough of the backers happy to perhaps let Josh continue without the worry of unhappy backers.
My Signature

I would ask, what is the purpose of a "beta" in the first place? It used to be, maybe this has changed, but it used to be, a basically finished game that you put out there to find any lingering bugs you may have missed. It's purpose is not to just "release something" to make impatient people happy, it is to test what you think is a nearly complete game. To take it through a shake down cruise so to speak and iron out any remaining problems.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Online Now