Return to “General”

carriers and hangar capacity

how many fighters/bombers will carriers be able to carry 40, 50, 90, 100, 200? hopefully hangar capacity wont be too restrictive a carrier should be able to carry a complement of at least 40 aircraft/spacecraft whatever you want to call them.

P.S this is my 11th post hopefully I'm not annoying you guys.

P.P.S hopefully this will stir up large enough discussion as there aren't no more than 2 or 3 posts about carriers that I've seen in the forums
Re: carriers and hangar capacity

BFett wrote:Josh has said that carriers will be able to carry up to their mass in fighters and bombers (among other classes of ship). So, depending on how large the carrier is, that number could be anywhere between 1 and thousands.
I think my first goal is to make something that can carry ten thousand micro ships :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
BFett wrote:Josh has said that carriers will be able to carry up to their mass in fighters and bombers (among other classes of ship). So, depending on how large the carrier is, that number could be anywhere between 1 and thousands.
I think my first goal is to make something that can carry ten thousand micro ships :D
*silver's computer screams pre-emptively*
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Silverware wrote:
*silver's computer screams pre-emptively*
Or maybe LT will just take so long, the computer silver will play on hasn't even been born yet, but when it sees his 10k, it will wonder when he's gonna actually do something with all that computing power.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

jonathanredden wrote:how many fighters/bombers will carriers be able to carry 40, 50, 90, 100, 200? hopefully hangar capacity wont be too restrictive a carrier should be able to carry a complement of at least 40 aircraft/spacecraft whatever you want to call them.
Balancing number is up for balancing.
Including "up to their mass".
Josh said there would be a mass limited system, but where those limits are is up in the air.
jonathanredden wrote: P.P.S hopefully this will stir up large enough discussion as there aren't no more than 2 or 3 posts about carriers that I've seen in the forums
You need to improve your search-fu little padawan

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php ... 288&p=5686

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2915

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4345

And then i stopped bothering

Just to slide in here something I've intimated before, what I'm curious about is not the number of "ships" I can carry... it's the number of drones.

Assuming drones aren't coded so that they are incapable of anything other than magical support functions (i.e., "move ore from asteroid to ship's cargo hold"), but can be constructed to Do Things in the world of the game, I imagine building a large carrier and stocking it with many thousands of drones, which might be built to carry various kinds of payloads:
  • high explosives
  • EMP charges (damage/destroy ship electronics)
  • radiation charges (kill crew but leave ship intact)
  • hacking commands (e.g., DDOS)
  • sensor blinders/ghosters
  • mining (strip off pieces of a target ship's hull -- damage and cheap resources!)
  • burrowers (cut through hull to release anti-personnel payloads of some kind)
MANY THOUSANDS of them.

:twisted:

(The only thing that concerns me about this notion is the design goal that whatever the player can do, NPCs can do....)

jonathanredden wrote:P.S this is my 11th post hopefully I'm not annoying you guys.
:? The notion that you could upset anyone here by asking sensible questions directly related to LT and its development is hard to understand. Have no fears that members will get upset about such curiousity, these are the sort of questions that are valued here. :thumbup: :angel:

I'm hoping it will be similar to Star Ruler if you've ever played that game. It is completely dependent on the ship size (in SR it is denoted as scale) and hangar. Couple that with the obvious 'concept' of Limit Theory, there is essentially no limit to how many you can have inside because you can simply build a bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger ship. Though as like with Star Ruler, when you start building a ship that dwarfs the galaxy you're playing in, it gets a little bit silly. So there will need to be sanity limits to that.

Flatfingers wrote:Just to slide in here something I've intimated before, what I'm curious about is not the number of "ships" I can carry... it's the number of drones.

Assuming drones aren't coded so that they are incapable of anything other than magical support functions (i.e., "move ore from asteroid to ship's cargo hold"), but can be constructed to Do Things in the world of the game, I imagine building a large carrier and stocking it with many thousands of drones, which might be built to carry various kinds of payloads:
  • high explosives
  • EMP charges (damage/destroy ship electronics)
  • radiation charges (kill crew but leave ship intact)
  • hacking commands (e.g., DDOS)
  • sensor blinders/ghosters
  • mining (strip off pieces of a target ship's hull -- damage and cheap resources!)
  • burrowers (cut through hull to release anti-personnel payloads of some kind)
MANY THOUSANDS of them.

:twisted:

(The only thing that concerns me about this notion is the design goal that whatever the player can do, NPCs can do....)
I think it would fit Josh's way of thinking to drop the traditional distinction between "one use missile" and "ship". Extending this to the ship designer, we might be able to come up with some really free-form designs. Some of them not very useful ;) .

*Inspiration strikes*

What about a component-based ship design, where the user has multiple choices for each component?
Such as
  • Propulsion
    • Standard engine, unlimited fuel (typical ship)
    • High performance engine, uses up fuel
    Payload or cargo, multiple allowed
    • High Explosive
    • Fuel tank
    • Cargo bay
    • Gun mount

Autopilot
    • None, player only ship
    • Specialized, cheap (such as follow and ram)
    • General purpose, expensive
Then a "ship" with the green components would obviously be a missile. But you could also put guns on it.

If the model gets more detailed, it could include sensors and give the player temporary recon from a missile.
The game Harpoon did this many vears ago, you could fire missiles and they would show you ships along your flight path. For a few moments, until the missile hit or moved out of range of the target.

Aurora 4X doesn't unify "ship" and "missile," but it does allow you to put sensors on your missiles. It also lets you put submunitions in your submunitions. This means you can set up such things as: sensor buoys, by giving the missile no engines; "lock-on after launch" missiles, which are fired blindly; and missile mines, made with a sensor buoy which includes whole missiles as submunitions. Not to mention the possibilities of multistage missiles releasing huge swarms of smaller missiles-within-missiles upon arrival.

0111narwhalz wrote:Aurora 4X doesn't unify "ship" and "missile," but it does allow you to put sensors on your missiles. It also lets you put submunitions in your submunitions. This means you can set up such things as: sensor buoys, by giving the missile no engines; "lock-on after launch" missiles, which are fired blindly; and missile mines, made with a sensor buoy which includes whole missiles as submunitions. Not to mention the possibilities of multistage missiles releasing huge swarms of smaller missiles-within-missiles upon arrival.
Aurora truly is a gold standard of detail in space 4X. And after a point in tech, multi-stage missiles get stupidly fun, get a big slug close in, then the tiny zippy stuff breach the PD :D "strength 1 nuclear detonation detected ×128"
panic

Mistycica wrote:
0111narwhalz wrote:Aurora 4X doesn't unify "ship" and "missile," but it does allow you to put sensors on your missiles. It also lets you put submunitions in your submunitions. This means you can set up such things as: sensor buoys, by giving the missile no engines; "lock-on after launch" missiles, which are fired blindly; and missile mines, made with a sensor buoy which includes whole missiles as submunitions. Not to mention the possibilities of multistage missiles releasing huge swarms of smaller missiles-within-missiles upon arrival.
Aurora truly is a gold standard of detail in space 4X. And after a point in tech, multi-stage missiles get stupidly fun, get a big slug close in, then the tiny zippy stuff breach the PD :D "strength 1 nuclear detonation detected ×128"
Aurora has competition for detail. Although not directly in the 4X genre.
Children of a Dead Earth tries to create HARD scifi, near future, using only technologies that are well researched and documented.
https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now