Return to “General”

piracy

would it be possible to for pirates (player and NPC alike) to build stations in an unscannable region of space (dense heavy dust or nebula clouds) and will it be possible for pirate factions to put up stiff resistance against pirate removal to the point where we would have to patrol the pirate infested areas as the pirates cant be rooted up and would be cheaper to do so than remove them or find another resource rich area to mine?
also would it be possible for piracy to be so extreme that the area has no hope of being any degree of secure?
Re: piracy

From all likelihood yes.
Although with a proper living universe like is planned, when the cost of piracy becomes higher than the income in the area, the AI will move on, leaving the pirates to starve. Forcing the pirates to strike out into new sectors for their profits.

Pirate bases are possible, but are likely going to be small carriers rather than proper bases. As a carrier is mobile and can be moved around to follow the profits. Static pirate bases are not likely to bring much in the way of profits, so I can't see them being a popular option for pirates.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

But will pirates form bands, or will they all be freelancers just falling into a similar lifestyle?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:But will pirates form bands, or will they all be freelancers just falling into a similar lifestyle?
I assume they'll band together, else how would they afford to expand? :P

It just makes sense, criminal 'undergrounds' form with many people, not one.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Silverware wrote:From all likelihood yes.
Although with a proper living universe like is planned, when the cost of piracy becomes higher than the income in the area, the AI will move on, leaving the pirates to starve. Forcing the pirates to strike out into new sectors for their profits.

Pirate bases are possible, but are likely going to be small carriers rather than proper bases. As a carrier is mobile and can be moved around to follow the profits. Static pirate bases are not likely to bring much in the way of profits, so I can't see them being a popular option for pirates.
Are you telling me that I can't fly over to a seedy area of space, find a lawless spaceport, and use that as a base? :eh: :think: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:
Silverware wrote:From all likelihood yes.

Are you telling me that I can't fly over to a seedy area of space, find a lawless spaceport, and use that as a base? :eh: :think: :ghost:
Sure you can, better yet, build your own, develop your fleet, and cause chaos.

Online Now