Return to “General”

Re: scuttling ships/stations disbanding colonies (IMPORTANT)

disbanding or dismantling your colonies, ships, and stations that you own through friendly fire is ridiculous I would rather be sensible (and josh too) and be able to dismantle my assets which "includes COLONIES" than blow them up with friendly fire it just breaks the game what if I was engaging a pirate and I accidentally hit one of my fighters which was carrying a weapon that would make me cry if I lost it and blew that fighter up. be sensible people.

jonathanredden wrote:disbanding or dismantling your colonies, ships, and stations that you own through friendly fire is ridiculous I would rather be sensible (and josh too) and be able to dismantle my assets which "includes COLONIES" than blow them up with friendly fire it just breaks the game what if I was engaging a pirate and I accidentally hit one of my fighters which was carrying a weapon that would make me cry if I lost it and blew that fighter up. be sensible people.
Save for recycling purposes there isn't really a good reason to dismantle things. Ships it would make sense if you wish to retire them and say use the raw resources for new ships or whatever, but we don't know (as far as I know) whether or not that will be facilitated.

As far as disbanding colonies, there is no practical reason why that would ever be possible. It would be like a Mayor deciding to dismantle a city, the populace would kick that sucker out or revolt. Doesn't matter whether or not you want to disband it, they're not gonna just go quietly. They'd declare independence.

I'm really not sure what you want to disband so much for, perhaps if you explain your reasoning you might present a perspective argument that we could understand.
Re: scuttling ships/stations disbanding colonies

TGS wrote: As far as disbanding colonies, there is no practical reason why that would ever be possible. It would be like a Mayor deciding to dismantle a city, the populace would kick that sucker out or revolt. Doesn't matter whether or not you want to disband it, they're not gonna just go quietly. They'd declare independence.
that really depends on what the kind of the "settlement" is.

if its just a big mining operation with assorted quarters for the hirelings its not that unconcievable that the owner could order it to be closed.

So long as they are making profit, why scrap them?
Any colony should make a net profit once it's self sustaining. Although the question is how hard it will be to get it to that point.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);
Re: scuttling ships/stations disbanding colonies

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
TGS wrote: As far as disbanding colonies, there is no practical reason why that would ever be possible. It would be like a Mayor deciding to dismantle a city, the populace would kick that sucker out or revolt. Doesn't matter whether or not you want to disband it, they're not gonna just go quietly. They'd declare independence.
that really depends on what the kind of the "settlement" is.

if its just a big mining operation with assorted quarters for the hirelings its not that unconcievable that the owner could order it to be closed.
Well if you're talking about a mining settlement then you're talking about collecting resources used in the construction of said mining settlement. You know from a purely realistic logistical standpoint that makes little sense right? Mining companies rarely if ever 'dismantle' anything because the logistics of it make it an expense. Even the resources you'd get back wouldn't likely be worth the effort in getting them back.

Obviously this isn't real life so perhaps there is a case for it but generally speaking the case just isn't realistic. Unless recycling (getting and reusing resources) is exceptionally viable or exceptionally needed there just isn't a good reason to dismantle things unless they're easily transportable, which static things are not. Ships? Sure. Stations? Maybe... Settlements, colonies, bases? No not really.

Now the scorched earth scenario is an interesting one, but not one that lends itself to dismantling. Just destroy it. Solved. There is literally no reason to have a special 'class' of dismantling in that case, blowing it all up is perfectly viable if that is literally your strategy.

Online Now