Return to “General”

Re: steam workshop

... Yeah no steam support, so no.

However, it would be relatively trivial to make a ingame mod browser and downloader as a mod. :V
Yes a mod to get mods! :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote:... Yeah no steam support, so no.
No steam support? Wut?
Well it's not on steam yet :V
So no steam support :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Not sure I see much need for Steam Workshop, other than as a convenient distribution point for significant user-created mods.

Steam itself could be useful, though, for distributing updates to the core LT itself in a controlled way. Of course Josh could write his own updater, but Steam is pretty convenient.

But I don't actually know if Josh even wants the kind of visibility that putting LT on Steam would give it. So this conversation might be moot.

Flatfingers wrote:But I don't actually know if Josh even wants the kind of visibility that putting LT on Steam would give it. So this conversation might be moot.
Uh.. come again? I distinctly recall Steam being mentioned specifically in the kickstarter details, first in the list...
LT kickstarter campaign main page FAQs wrote: How Will you Distribute?

The usual: Steam, Desura, proprietary online download system (if necessary).
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:But I don't actually know if Josh even wants the kind of visibility that putting LT on Steam would give it. So this conversation might be moot.
Uh.. come again? I distinctly recall Steam being mentioned specifically in the kickstarter details, first in the list...
LT kickstarter campaign main page FAQs wrote: How Will you Distribute?

The usual: Steam, Desura, proprietary online download system (if necessary).
Desura... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... A long time...
Probably not a good idea at this point. Buyouts, not paying devs, all that. :?
So much has changed in the gaming internet since the Kickstarter.

I'd like to see LT on GOG. Galaxy has been a great updater/manager so far. And with regional currencies, I respect them even more than Humble. :thumbup:

On topic, I remember Torchlight had a dedicated mod manager with a mod browser / list built in (Torchleech - apparently inspired by WOWMatrix), which worked well enough, but it was a little short on info given its layout. Honestly, I'd be happy to get my LT mod fix from the Nexus like I do with everything else.

I like to collect my games on Steam but on some occasions, and when a DRM-free version is available, I like to have my games on GOG or on the Humble Store - as there are DRM-free versions in there too.

I wonder what Josh's stance on DRM is.

As far as mods distribution goes I can not imagine a more efficient and readable version than the Nexus sites. They are excellent for mods, have a large audience and a big number of contributors. I hope the community does the reasonable choice and puts up their mods there.

Dinosawer wrote:I distinctly remember Josh saying the deal with GOG was already made, so I assume he's not pro-DRM, aside from the fact that LT will for a large part just be open source (the non-enginge parts, at least).
Great news, thank you ! Did he explain how the deal was made ? Was it just a first contact or is there already a contract binding them ?

I'm asking because I have no idea how relationships between developers and distributors are achieved.

Lemme look for the post...
Aha!
http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php ... gog#p75236
JoshParnell wrote:Hey Daniel, you will have several options for DRM-free purchase at release time. LT itself will contain no DRM other than what is added by the distribution platform (e.g., Steam).

LT will almost certainly be on GOG (I have already talked to them). If you aren't comfortable with GOG, I will also be looking to offer a direct purchase option through the LT site. This direct purchase would also be DRM-free. This will likely be your preferred avenue :)

:thumbup:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now