Return to “General”

Can we get ANYTHING to show progress?

I've held out faith for this project but cmon, I don't think any reasonable person can just sit by and not start to doubt at this point. I just want something, doesn't have to be major, doesn't have to be crazy complicated, but something that shows the game is actually being worked on. From my time browsing the forum and other places I honestly can't find a single bit of proof of progress on this game in the past year, maybe a bit more. I'm just going to assume the game is dead if nothing of substance can be shown within the near future, and no, forum activity from Josh doesn't prove anything except that he can tell us it's "getting done". I don't think I'm being unreasonable with this request.
Re: Can we get ANYTHING to show progress?

SkitsofRandom wrote:I just want something, doesn't have to be major, doesn't have to be crazy complicated, but something that shows the game is actually being worked on.
Josh have said that the rendering is not working, so nothing to show at this point I'm afraid. Soon this may change.
SkitsofRandom wrote:I'm just going to assume the game is dead if nothing of substance can be shown within the near future.
Other people have tried to make ultimatums before, without any luck so far. Fortunately, it's not people's position to determine if the game is dead or alive. Only Josh can do that. I also could assume that, due to the hour, Josh may be sleeping right now, but I can't prove it so it wouldn't mean anything.

LT is an ambitious game. When you are making something ambitious you may reach a point in which you need to make an important decision: you may cut features off, dumbing down your ideas, or you may do things right, delaying the release day as much as necessary. It took seven years to make The Witness, and is an amazing game because of that. Making a game takes time, particularly a good one, and we all expect from LT to be more than good. Josh is not in charge of a pizza delivery company; he is making a game. So we have to be patient and hope that if Josh is not showing us much visually is because there is a good reason for that.

People have been crying about this for a long time. Assume that adding to the cry is not going to change anything at this point.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:
SkitsofRandom wrote:I'm just going to assume the game is dead if nothing of substance can be shown within the near future.
Other people have tried to make ultimatums before, without any luck so far. Fortunately, it's not people's position to determine if the game is dead or alive. Only Josh can do that. I also could assume that, due to the hour, Josh may be sleeping right now, but I can't prove it so it wouldn't mean anything.
And like I said in the last one of these, it doesn't actually matter. A this time, there's no advertising campaign, no sales, no fundraising, what difference does it make if people assume it's dead?

Either it eventually comes out or it doesn't, and if it comes out and is good, people will play it. Deciding if it's dead or not now doesn't change anything.

Victor Tombs wrote:
RedDwarfMining wrote:I don't want LT to be a 2 week play then wait for LT 2!

I much rather Josh take his time and produce something I want to play for more then a month. :)
If it turns out to be the case that you've had enough of LT in a month, RedDwarfMining, it wasn't the game for you .....or Josh will have failed.

I can't say I'm expecting the latter. ;) :angel:
Well, I expected to like Elite Dangerous for more than a month. :cry:
How could they mess up that game...with 200 devs working on it!? :)

I already know LT will be much better than ED. :thumbup:

Comparing ED and LT is a bit mean spirited.

ED is a commercial product that has to keep to deadlines,
ED failed to provide a single player experience,
ED lacks any kind of crafting system,
ED lacks any real upgrade system (each ship is a linear progression from the last),
ED entirely lacks modding support.

LT is a hobby project, driven by a single individual with incredibly ambitious goals, and the skills to deliver (as has been proven so far),
LT is focused purely around the single player experience,
LT is focused on a complex research, crafting, and market simulation,
LT has infinite upgrades thanks to the aforementioned research and crafting system,
LT is now being fully rebuilt around an almost entirely moddable core,

It's like comparing an apple seed (ED) against the beautiful tree that grows from such a seed (LT), even if that tree has yet to bear fruit.
Modding capability is what will turn LT from a simple game, into an entire ecosystem of mods and crazy shit built by players.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now