Return to “General”

Re: What would you cut from v1 to accelerate its release?

The depth/integration of the economic simulation is an interesting candidate. Based on what we saw (when we saw it last), I could see the argument that is already too integrated (at least conceptually) to cut easily - but if it's possible to paper over that for now, I have zero objection to losing it. Likewise for colonies in general, honestly. I'm comfortable with planets as pretty, irrelevant background and all interaction being ship-to-ship and ship-to-station.
Talvieno wrote:[*]Jennifer Hale's voice as my ship AI (put last because I'm really not sure I could live without this)
Unfortunately I think that just joined my "essential features" list. I'm kinda moving in the wrong direction here.

mcsven wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:The simple solution to this whole mess is...

If you want to play a dumbed down, feature stripped, crippled, non fun game FAST, then go play X rebirth, it has ALL those things.
Come on man, no-one is advocating that. But an earlier release followed by multiple updates vs. a much delayed fuller release? I know which wins my vote.

No you come on. Think about what you are saying. They released a stripped down game and are STILL patching it, and STILL haven't even worked out all the bugs etc. Now granted, I'm sure Josh's initial release would be way better than X returds, but still, you seem to be advocating releasing an unfinished game just so you can get it NOW, and then finish it on the fly with updates.

Sorry, I'm old school, I prefer my games to be complete the DAY I BUY THEM. Call me crazy if you want.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Mistycica wrote:^
mcsven wrote:Secondly, surely we all want to play the game as soon as possible?
I want to play LT as soon as possible, not an eviscerated demo in Early Access that I'll lose interest in after realizing that it's going to be playable in two years.
So if I gave you the choice of: nothing until late 2017 or a smaller release of LT (with all its modding possibilities) in the middle of this year, you'd chose the former? Fair enough.

Poet1960 wrote:
mcsven wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:The simple solution to this whole mess is...

If you want to play a dumbed down, feature stripped, crippled, non fun game FAST, then go play X rebirth, it has ALL those things.
Come on man, no-one is advocating that. But an earlier release followed by multiple updates vs. a much delayed fuller release? I know which wins my vote.

No you come on. Think about what you are saying. They released a stripped down game and are STILL patching it, and STILL haven't even worked out all the bugs etc. Now granted, I'm sure Josh's initial release would be way better than X returds, but still, you seem to be advocating releasing an unfinished game just so you can get it NOW, and then finish it on the fly with updates.

Sorry, I'm old school, I prefer my games to be complete the DAY I BUY THEM. Call me crazy if you want.
So you've got a philosophical objection to "incomplete" games? How do the Kickstarter stretch goals factor into that? And I thought your beef was mostly around games that are released early and buggy, which I certainly am not advocating and I'm 100% sure Josh wouldn't do in any case.

mcsven wrote: So you've got a philosophical objection to "incomplete" games? How do the Kickstarter stretch goals factor into that? And I thought your beef was mostly around games that are released early and buggy, which I certainly am not advocating and I'm 100% sure Josh wouldn't do in any case.

Is there some reason in particular that you just can't wait for it to be done? No patience? Need that instant gratification fix? Why do some people find it so hard to just wait for something? All I can hear in my head right now is this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFGTf3M3Sc
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:I was considering offering a key for X-Rebirth as a prize in the LTFC contests. :(

No offense Victor, but few people want that. Even on the torrent sites, nobody wants to download that garbage even if it's free.
None taken, Poet. It's much better than it was at release but... :angel:

LOL. True, it is much better than it was at release, but then again, when you start with an inglorious turd, no matter what you do afterwards, it has got to be an, "improvement." :twisted:

Cut me some slack here. I'm not Abh, harping on about "but it's a commercial game!". I'm asking a reasonable question, driven by a sober look at the reality of the development process to date. The things I listed - which have also been listed by other senior members, incidentally - aren't always direct matches to the Kickstarter promises, so Josh will have to decide how much he includes in any event. Why can't we have a sensible discussion about what could be pushed out beyond v1 whilst still delivering on the broad Kickstarter promise?

Online Now