Return to “General”

Cockpit View

Hello :) I have two questions:

(1) Will there be a cockpit view? (for example if you press C you switch between a third person view and a cockpit view)

(2) From what I know there are ships that can be procedurally generated or created by the player, will you be able to colour them? (for example could you create a massive ship and then colour it red, green and blue?)
Re: Cockpit View

I am not sure about colors or materials,

but the cockpit view is not planned afaik, although joosh did zoom in until the camera was inside the ship, so maybe it is easy to add a overlay later?

(also i wonder if this forum _supports_ `markdown` )
IRC "In Josh we trust"

1) Cockpits are not in the game afaik but Josh added support for rendering text on materials a while back, which apparently made cockpit mods possible. (according to him, and I guess he knows :ghost: )

2) Ship editor is a thing and the last Flick images show ships with coloured paint on them, so probably?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

You will be able to change between third person and first person, but cockpit view itself (like in combat oriented games) is not planned as far as it is known so far.
Spoiler:      SHOW
I actually prefer the idea of having full screen visibility + customizable UI instead of a traditional and anachronistic view of the interior of your cockpit, because it will let me to imagine the interior of my ship however I want. (Like sitting in front of digital windows or computer screens in middle sized spacecraft, or standing in front of a holographic map in the case of a capital ship, or in a proper cockpit only when piloting a starfighter, etc.) One of the main reasons why I like this game is that is somehow "minimalist", forcing you to add your own imagination to the mix, a universe in part the product of Josh's imagination and your own creativity. I see the lack of certain elements more like a feature than a hassle.
Regarding color and shape, I don't see the problem. The game will generate a virtually infinite number of spaceship shapes for you, or it will let you create your own in a kind of editor. I imagine that choosing the color or colors of your craft should be possible, but I can't be sure. It's also possible that you will be able to generate a spaceship procedurally and then applying modifications to it, including changing textures and colors, but this is mere speculation from my part.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:Regarding color and shape, I don't see the problem. The game will generate a virtually infinite number of spaceship shapes for you, or it will let you create your own in a kind of editor. I imagine that choosing the color or colors of your craft should be possible, but I can't be sure. It's also possible that you will be able to generate a spaceship procedurally and then applying modifications to it, including changing textures and colors, but this is mere speculation from my part.
That brings me to a suggestion for Josh:
Can we define the camera POV in the editor please? That would allow us to pick a view that shows some of the hull and comes at least close to a cockpit view.

Like this: Image Pilot's forward view out of a Nova in X3 :)

BFett's arrangement is attractive. If I had to have a cockpit facsimile of some kind, this is nice.

Personal taste, though: this puts too many HUD elements too close to the middle of the viewing area for me.

I'd want that if I were going to get into air combat in reality because it minimizes eye movement between readouts and visual targeting. But LT isn't reality, it's a game, meaning survival efficiency is not my top priority. I'd rather see space in all its Parnellified glory. :)

So given the option, I'll remove "canopy" graphics and attach HUD elements to top, bottom, left, and right edges to maximize the central view of the gameworld. A minimally-curved cylindrical projection to mimic cockpit glass would be a nice touch.

If possible, though, it would also be nice to be able to mark particular HUD components to be displayed in particular contexts: combat-specific indicators only when in combat; market controls only when trading; mining controls only when mining; research info only when managing research; and so on.

I imagine we may be able to define several HUD setups and switch manually between them as context-specific blocks. That would work, though what I'm thinking is actually making each individual HUD element aware of its acceptable contexts so that it can fade in and out automatically as the player's current context changes. But that would probably require a lot more design and coding effort than manually switching between HUD blocks.

YMMV.

I've said everything I wanted to say about cockpits in Limit Theory. I would like to see/ have seen them fully implemented. I even pledged at custom level originally to have them included in my copy as a one off from the code warrior himself. :angel:

Edit: I would still pay for additional DLC from the developer to see them fully implemented as a Josh Parnell original rather than having to see a mod introduced.
Last edited by Victor Tombs on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFett wrote:If nothing else, there are some of us who will attempt to make cockpits possible in the game. I even made a picture of what I'd imagine a HUD in LT would look like.

Here's the picture I made.
Spoiler:      SHOW
I want this! WANT THIS!!
My Signature

Online Now