Return to “General”

Re: LT Meetup @ GDC in San Francisco

Gazz wrote:
FormalMoss wrote:Yup, what happens if a balloon the size of the sun filled with water interacts with the sun and how many people can you fit inside the sun :
If you mean living people... zero, I guess.
Scott Manley wrote:Just an experiment.... this is how the average commute to school goes so I thought I'd record it today.
(the question originally came from 4Chan, Skye saw it on my twitter feed).
Hi Gazz, it's a hyptothecal question asked by Scott's kids.
Scott goes on to suppose an average person weighs 70 Kilograms and goes on to figure out how many would fit inside the Sun given it's current mass.
Spoiler:      SHOW
20,000 Trillion Trillion is Scott's answer btw.
It's quite interesting and has me taking a back seat (not in the car) and thinking that it would be something similar to listening to other LT'ers talking about QM.
Fascinating.

Gazz - Shame on you for not watching the vid.
:P
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Information Dump on Josh @ GDC 2016

Yes yes, I know, you guys are frustrated that you have to hear about my activities at GDC from someone else before me...imagine my equal and opposite frustration that I didn't have much time to post updates between only having wifi at the hotel (which I came back to late and left from early) and having a pretty jam-packed schedule!

Scattered thoughts:
  • Very exciting week (duh), generally a great mood lift and inspiration for me and LT
  • Met a tremendous number of wonderful people, both known to me and unknown, including
    • Scott Manley (as you guys already know)
    • Gavan Woolery (VoxelQuest / wizard of all things voxel-based)
    • Danny Baranowsky
    • Colin Walsh (Drifter developer)
    • Eskil Steenberg (personal hero of mine for his genius in tool design)
    • One of the guys from KSP!
    • A bunch of really, really, really sharp graphics programmers / general codethinkers from a little programmer gathering that Gavan was kind enough to get me invited to (thanks Gavan!!!) :D
  • Will probably never do main conference pass again (the expensive one where you 'get to go to the talks')...frankly after the first day and a half I realized two things: 1) intentionally or not, GDC packs WAY too much content into too little time -- I typically had between 2 and 4 talks that I wanted to attend during the same time slot. Not cool...luckily, 2) meeting people, seeing the expos, and just generally getting immersed in a world of fellow game developers is much more rewarding than being talked at for an hour. I can definitely see myself doing expo pass in the future, as I think that'd be a lot of bang for the buck!
  • Admittedly, I went to the career floor and went around asking about job opportunities solely in hopes that I could get someone to start challenging me and grilling me on code or algorithms or math. Although I never did get that ("make sure you apply online and we will send you a programming quiz!"), I at least got someone to ask me what new features C++11 has. Which isn't really an interesting question, but :P

LTers saying Hi!

Although I didn't end up getting enough interest in an LT meetup to justify one (I honestly think I had 2 or 3 folks that would have done it), I did bump into a surprising number of people who had backed LT! Typically it happened during roundtable sessions, where we discussed various topics (I went to several including low-budget indie development, artificial intelligence in games, and another I can't remember...think it was either visual effects or gameplay balancing). Before contributing to the conversation (i.e. asking a question or giving an answer / contributing a thought), we would say our name, where we worked, and what we were working on. After every session, at least one or two people came up to me and said 'hey, I backed you!!' and I'd thank them and we'd start chatting about LT and space and such. So I did end up getting to meet a good many LT fans after all! That was quite a surprise to me! :)

Gavan of the Woolery!

Getting to meet Gavan was a two-fold pleasure, as not only did I get to meet him and get to hear him speak on voxel tech a few times, but I also completely owe it to him that I was able to meet a bunch of other inspirational folks, as he was kind enough to get me invited to a meetup to which he was already invited. Now I don't say this lightly, but of all the exceptional minds that I met that night, I do believe Gavan had the best understanding and intuition with respect to novel voxel techniques. Not surprising, really, since you all probably know that I've been both geeking and freaking out over the quality of VoxelQuest's tech since the KS campaign.

Scott of the Manley!

Wow, what an honor it was to hear that famed voice in person! Scott was super-friendly and hanging out with him was just a really good time in general. Honestly, contacting and setting up a meetup with him was more out of my desire to hear him speak about his experiences (he's got a really interesting past and present), thoughts on games, etc. rather than to bash him over the head with LT :ghost: We actually didn't talk a whole lot about Limit Theory, as there were other people floating in and out of the group as the afternoon went on, so we probably spent more time talking about topics that were relevant to the whole group rather than any given person's particularities. Yes, I would have loved to have had just a bit more time with him to probe his mind about the experiences that he's had playing space games, what he finds compelling in general (especially now that SC and E:D both have playable versions out), etc. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough time. Nor was there enough time to talk in detail about LT game mechanics, etc. Basically, I told him what you guys already know: that I had a rough period that took quite some recovery time, but that LT was still completely a go and was coming as fast as I could make it. I also assured him he'd get a copy of the earliest public release :thumbup: So in terms of LT details, he's pretty much at the same level as you all.

Returning with Inspiration!

Like I said, it was, overall, quite an inspirational voyage for me. On the one hand, being home is a bit sad since I don't live in a place where I can just meet up with these kinds of people regularly. On the other hand...not getting coding time seriously took a toll on me throughout the trip :ghost: Now I'm home, it's quiet, there's inspiration about, no distractions, and there's lots of LT ripe for the plucking.

So there you have it :)

:wave:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Woo! Wonderboy has recharged his inspiration batteries. The most unfortunate thing is that you couldn't get more feedback from Scott on his opinions having played so many space games about what was good and what wasn't. Ah well, you have us and together we probably make up 0.875Manleys :thumbup:

Hope some of your inspiration results in novel code and concepts, in the meantime we'll just enjoy all the awkward photos of you AlexWasLike is sharing with us on IRC :shifty: , which by the way Damn! you're tall! :ghost: and even more Damn! your girlfriend is hot! :thumbup:

Glad everything is looking great, including the royal couple :D
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

It won't be earth shattering stuff, Flat, but here goes. ;)

I saw both Alexandra and Josh in this thread in the early hours of my morning before anything was said by the latter. Sadly, I was very tired and fell asleep. I woud like to see the photos which were obviously seen by a few in IRC, preferably added to this thread where they belong. :)

I understand your frustrating experiences with feedback, Josh, but as usual a line or two here would have helped ease any frustration felt by some of us.

Until I saw that one photo of you with Scott it hadn't hit me how ill you have been, my friend. It still grieves me that you suffered in such a way. :(

I'm over the moon that you managed to meet at least a few of your backers. And that you got to see first hand how keen many of them still are about the project. :)

I've always rated Gavan as being in the same category as you and it gave me immense pleasure to read that your meeting with him went so well and was fruitful in allowing you to rub shoulders with "a bunch" of other sharp thinkers. 8-)

As to your meeting with Scott Manley. I vaguely remember introducing you to his video reviews back in the early days of LT. He always struck me as being a fount of useful knowledge as to what works and doesn't work in space games. I was wondering why he hadn't said more about LT but your explanation covered that entirely. He did seem to be enjoying himself whilst in your company but one picture isn't nearly enough to convey the full story so thanks for the added details. :thumbup:

Most important of all is that the event was inspirational for you and hopefully Alexandra as well. :D

Now if only you could conquer that hurdle of going silent for overly long periods of time, Josh. The gift I ask for is a few more words from you...regularly. :angel:

Flatfingers wrote:Now I need to hear what Victor thinks of this.
So, do you think anything we say here now, Flat, makes any difference whatsoever? I know the LT developer reads this stuff but I often feel like it's all a bit pointless.

Is it wrong to think that we are now more of an annoyance by being here? I rarely feel any connection to what's going on with LT nowadays. It's a little like being on a train station platform playing word games to consume time between announcements/pronouncements and just watching the empty trains coming and going.

And it's got to the stage where the word games about none related LT matters have more significance.

Does any of that sound familiar to you?

I'm away on Retreat at the beginning of next month which I feel I need....desperately. :angel:

JoshParnell wrote:Information Dump on Josh @ GDC 2016
[..] great mood lift and inspiration for me and LT [..]
[..] I typically had between 2 and 4 talks that I wanted to attend during the same time slot. Not cool... [..]
[..] Now I don't say this lightly, but of all the exceptional minds that I met that night, I do believe Gavan had the best understanding and intuition with respect to novel voxel techniques. Not surprising, really, since you all probably know that I've been both geeking and freaking out over the quality of VoxelQuest's tech since the KS campaign.
[..]
Scott of the Manley!
[..] assured him he'd get a copy of the earliest public release :thumbup: [..]
Above quoted are the most interesting points for me of your GDC spiel, Josh. :geek:
Thanks for all the rest of the juicy details, btw, which made your summary by far the most meaty of the various (by other devs in attendance) that I've read. :thumbup:
I'm especially happy to hear of strong LT-VQ ties made stronger. Kudos to Gavan for his efforts and wielded connections! :D

Were you able to make it to Tarn's myth generator talk? I'm intensely curious about it.. :squirrel:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

I know this will probably be heretical to many of you...but I tried looking up Scott Manley and could not place what he has done that I would know him from...besides the awesome accent and over hundred million views on youtube. :oops: I saw a lot of Kerbal, which I know many of you have played.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Online Now