Return to “General”

Can Josh twitch stream LT

I understand that josh is a busy guy and he refuses to make another dev blog youtube video. BUT something ive been seeing now on twitch is indie game devs are streaming themselves actually working on the game.

Josh, dont lie you can do this. You literally just did this a couple days ago, so it is possible.

No need for editing a youtube video, just start up a stream show what you been up to and let the stream run while you work on LT. Its simpler than writing 6 paragraph updates, simpler than making a fancy youtube video AND it engages your fan base......which seriously needs engaging.

I don't want to sound like an ass in what im about to say, but someone needs to say it. If you had time for a game development competition AND stream it, you certainly have time to stream LTs development. Seriously, its now been over a year since we got any visual proof of stuff being done. Josh, just put your perfectionist personality aside for awhile and jusy show us something...code work, modeling, etc.....just something for us to watch. I can guarantee almost everyone wouldn't care, its alpha, if something is broken and thats why you wont tell us, then WE understand, it doesn't need to be perfect when you show it too us. Just say ,"hey, theres this feature im trying to include right now and it broke this and that....so dont mind that right."

I apologize for the aggressiveness of this thread, i didnt mean to get so hostile, im just very passionate about the success of lt.
Last edited by Xephyr on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetual Daydreamer and Ichthyologist in training( yes Im serious)
Re: Can Josh twitch stream LT

Xephyr wrote:I understand that josh is a busy guy and he refuses to make another dev blog youtube video. BUT something ive been seeing now on twitch is indie game devs are streaming themselves actually working on the game.

Josh, dont lie you can do this. You literally just did this a couple days ago, so it is possible.

No need for editing a youtube video, just start up a stream show what you been up to and let the stream run while you work on LT. Its simpler than writing 6 paragraph updates, simpler than making a fancy youtube video AND it engages your fan base......which seriously needs engaging.

I don't want to sound like an ass in what im about to say, but someone needs to say it. If you had time for a game development competition AND stream it, you certainly have time to stream LTs development.

Sorry for sounding like an ass. Oops.
While I (and many other people) really like the idea, Josh isn't going to do it. He did do it a few days ago, but ended up turning off the stream for two reasons.

The first is because it was too distracting. He likes talking to us. :P He kept doing it last weekend, and he'd do it if he streamed his LT work. He wouldn't get much done.

The second reason is that he felt very self-conscious and twitchy while people were watching - which isn't good if you're a coder. You end up making mistakes and writing bad code.

A third reason that it wouldn't work well is that most indie game devs aren't known well enough for it to really matter. Josh is behind what's nearly a $200k Kickstarter campaign, and this would be the first time he would have shown any progress in detail in a long, long time. You can bet there would be a lot of people on the stream, and a lot of them would be negative or critical. It'd feel like asking everyone to judge him, and would make him a nervous wreck. It'd do that to anyone.

I know some indie game devs might be capable and willing to stream themselves, but Josh is not.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

It would be nice if he streamed LT on friday nights....like just play it.....show off the work he did that week or something. I mean, he should just take the last few hours of his shift to simply enjoy the hard work he put into the game, start up a stream....chat with fans, pop a cold beer and just relax...Well, thats what i would do.

Just become a gamer for a few hours, instead of a developer.

Xephyr wrote:It would be nice if he streamed LT on friday nights....like just play it.....show off the work he did that week or something. I mean, he should just take the last few hours of his shift to simply enjoy the hard work he put into the game, start up a stream....chat with fans, pop a cold beer and just relax...Well, thats what i would do.

Just become a gamer for a few hours, instead of a developer.
I'm not entirely sure if you missed it, but in case you did, I'll repeat what I said. :P If Josh started streaming anything LT related, it would cause a riot and everybody that's interested in LT would start watching - and judging both his work and his progress. Basically, if he's trying to do this without updates, he can't also stream LT. There is effectively no way for Josh to stream LT as merely a gamer. He cannot help but stream it as a developer - so there cannot be a "casual stream". Even if there was, and he kept it quiet so only us on the forums knew about it, that would cause problems elsewhere with people angry that they weren't alerted to it - and for good reason. The Kickstarter backers would especially have good reason for being upset.

It's just a PR mess. If I were in his position I wouldn't stream either, especially with how hostile people have been at times. And that's not even getting into the issues with his anxiety and mental health.

Before you mention it, I would provide updates every now and then though. :P But that's a topic that's been rehashed many times, and it doesn't need repeated.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I understood what you said, but in reality its a PR mess regardless, the longer he waits to release something the worse the hate. Plus there will ALWAYS be those haters that just want to fan the flames. For the backers he could simply make an update on kickstarter that he will be streaming on this _______ date. Heck, he wouldnt even need to talk or show a facecam. Just a video of him playing. But if he cant ignore the haters, which is sad. well then theres nothing we can do.

Talvieno wrote:Haters wouldn't be an issue if not for his mental health. Plus, Josh has never released or shown anything half-assed anyway. It's just not in his nature.
I never said anything about how josh made the mental health issue into such a big deal, tallking about how hard it was for him to recover. When i went through so much more than he did, 1 year before this all started. He didnt lose his dream job due to budget cuts, his dog didnt die, he didnt lose his brother and his girlfriend in a traffic accident, then going into psychiatric care because you were hit with extreme depression. No one. i mean no one can say there having a tough time until you have all this stuff happen in a single month like it did to me. Worst f***ing time of my life, but i got help and didnt look back. Got back on my feet within a couple months.

My point is, it's been half a year now and he needs to stop using the "mental health issue" as a crutch. If i can get past that within a few months, he can get past this too and put it behind him like i did.

Dont give me any, "im so sorry to hear that" nonsense.....ive come to accept that shit happens, you either cower in the corner or you get up and put it behind you.

It's different for everyone, Xephyr. Have a little compassion. :) No, none of that happened to Josh, but that doesn't mean it's any less severe. Some people are better at dealing with things than others. Some people have difficulty dealing with things, and some people's brains are wired so they almost can't deal with certain situations at all. If that wasn't true, people would never commit suicide. It's good to remember that not everyone deals with things the same way you do. Everyone's brain is different.

For a very vague analogy, it's rather like how in an emergency situation, some people might be in control of themselves, some might panic, and some might even become angry or violent. Everyone is different. Josh's problems are very real, and he's both seeing a therapist for them and taking medications (which isn't working out so well as it might, when we last heard). Some people just have imbalances in their brain and have no control over it.

That of course doesn't mean you had any less of a hard time either. I'm really sorry to hear about your job, dog, and depression. :( I'm glad you're doing better now at least. You don't need to be so hostile, though. I'm not trying to attack you, patronize you or belittle your concerns/questions. ((And on that note, I hope your day is going well. I get upset more easily too sometimes when I've had a particularly rough day.))

Xephyr, if you've read some of the stuff I've written in the past, you know I'm a huge advocate of stuff lke this too.

Only thing is, I'd prefer if he just had a twitch stream going of the universe. I don't care if I see ships, but a screensaver-esque cam of something (maybe even old stuff like the whole executive/employee piece) going on its own. Watching the universe do its own thang would be awesome. :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

To put some realism on this...

Josh won't even give us a couple new screen shots. Do you really think he's going to stream it?

I would love to see it, but let's keep our expectations realistic here.

I know it's frustrating when the mental health reason is thrown out for the hundredth time, but remember, it's only a game to us. This is Josh's life. I do get the frustration however.

Edit: another example would be the simple fact that creating an additional dev log with an explanation or even just a link to one seems to be too much. (Or as I suggested just asking a mod to do it) if this is impossible, what do you think the chances of a stream is? Honestly, the best bet is to relax and just wait until he is ready to do something.
My Signature

Online Now