Return to “General”

Re: What stage is LT currently at?

Grumblesaur wrote:
eq2k wrote:Just because no one else has said it how about LUA :)
Because array indexing from arbitrary values is spooky. :ghost:
In Javascript any positive integer value is an array index, any other value at all is an object property.
Because in Javascript, everything is an object!
(Actually I am reasonably sure that a[null] is a valid index :P)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote:Because array indexing from arbitrary values is spooky. :ghost:
In Javascript any positive integer value is an array index, any other value at all is an object property.
Because in Javascript, everything is an object!
(Actually I am reasonably sure that a[null] is a valid index :P)
Once upon a time, FORTRAN let you tweak the operating system by supplying negative values for array indices.

Let's see any of these quiche-eating modern scripting languages do that. :D

Not that I'd want FORTRAN to be the HLL Josh has now attached to LT. Although I do miss the Arithmetic If; that was a slick little built-in function....

Flatfingers wrote:Let's see any of these quiche-eating modern scripting languages do that. :D
The worst thing about fancy data types is that you have to declare them, and Real Programming Languages, as we all know, have implicit typing based on the first letter of the (six character) variable name.
Six characters! Pah!

Real Programming Languages have a maximum variable name length of two. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Let's see any of these quiche-eating modern scripting languages do that. :D
The worst thing about fancy data types is that you have to declare them, and Real Programming Languages, as we all know, have implicit typing based on the first letter of the (six character) variable name.
Six characters! Pah!

Real Programming Languages have a maximum variable name length of two. :mrgreen:
Two? You had two characters for variable names? Ha! Luxury!

When I programmed on the original Radio Shack Color Computer, which came with a grand 4 KB of RAM (0.5 of which was used by the OS), we had to make do with ONE letter for variable names in order to save space.

Two characters, indeed.

(It will help if all the above is read in a broad Yorkshire accent. :D )

Online Now