Return to “General”

Re: What stage is LT currently at?

Ok, heres what I would like to see snippets of, because i think they would be very important for modders

Something on the transition of close AI to Distant AI in regards to an LOD level change. How does the system go from the decisions of individuals to the decisions of a more abstract "system behavior"? If people are going to be tweaking AI, they should know how to cross that bridge.

Probably a more tricky bit of code, How does the engine divide knowledge between the various NPCs? Clearly the engine knows everything, but how does it determine what individuals know what, and what individuals don't know.

Those are both pretty "core" aspects to LT, and if the coders among us can't understand whats going on there, Modding will probably be a high barrier, no amateurs doing big things.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

AI stuff can be pretty high up the abstraction ladder... which is why I wouldn't ask to see any of that.

(It also probably has to run really fast, and so may not even be implemented in Python, in which case I certainly wouldn't ask or expect to see it.)

Particularly tricksy code is often -- not always, but often -- where developers apply their secret sauce: the stuff that's unique to their game. Anybody (the thinking goes) can do the easy stuff; it's the hard stuff, the algorithm that had to be bashed out and refined and replaced several times until it was boiled down to something that works smoothly, that most closely approaches the simplicity and opacity of a Zen koan. This is the code where other developers look at it, and think they see what it does, and then look at it again and realize they have no idea how it does what it does -- not because it's bad code, but because it has been refined down to its essence and every line encapsulates a vast amount of meaning.

I would not be at all surprised if some of the LT code is like that after three years of isolated coding by someone who's really good at it. The question is, how much of it is like that?

For now, as I said, this is just a very speculative question. We're just chatting. I have zero expectation of any Official Statement on this subject; we'll just have to see for ourselves what's behind the curtain when Vanna finally pulls it back. ;)

I have been checking up here every 1-2 months since the burnout, and have read many of your posts and many of other peoples posts during that time. However, I do not recall this question every being raised (Question @Josh):

If you don't currently have anything "new" to show us, how about showing us some more of your "old/current" stuff? You could do a video with just video content, no commentary, or video clean up. Just say 10 minutes of gameplay.

A lot of people, such as myself loved those development videos. I understand that you may have accomplished great things under the hood that has no visual implications currently, much like me with my RTS I'm developing in UE4. However, I and many others would love seeing some more gameplay even if it is more of the same that has already been shown. But seeing a new video might help alleviate some people's concerns. Just seeing that the game still works, and still runs, and still is Limit Theory would be enough. Hence, why you don't need to put on a huge effort for a gameplay video. I understand that making videos can be very demanding, which is why I'm asking if a video containing just gameplay shown could be possible alternative to the full "chore?" of creating a video.

Doomknight wrote:I have been checking up here every 1-2 months since the burnout, and have read many of your posts and many of other peoples posts during that time. However, I do not recall this question every being raised (Question @Josh):

If you don't currently have anything "new" to show us, how about showing us some more of your "old/current" stuff? You could do a video with just video content, no commentary, or video clean up. Just say 10 minutes of gameplay.

A lot of people, such as myself loved those development videos. I understand that you may have accomplished great things under the hood that has no visual implications currently, much like me with my RTS I'm developing in UE4. However, I and many others would love seeing some more gameplay even if it is more of the same that has already been shown. But seeing a new video might help alleviate some people's concerns. Just seeing that the game still works, and still runs, and still is Limit Theory would be enough. Hence, why you don't need to put on a huge effort for a gameplay video. I understand that making videos can be very demanding, which is why I'm asking if a video containing just gameplay shown could be possible alternative to the full "chore?" of creating a video.
That would be highly impractical for him unless he has some footage on hand that he recorded but never showed for whatever reason. E.g you're asking him to 'collect' game play of which currently does not exist in a form that can be recorded UNLESS he grabs a very old version of the 'old' game and 'played' it recording that. Which again... impractical.

As much as I'd love anything he'd be willing to share, the end result is that your suggestion requires looking backwards. There's no point looking backwards for him, for us maybe but for him no. Plus it would really kind of waste time that could be spent better. Would you rather him trawling through old code to build a version he could 'play' and record for us or continue working so that we can eventually in the coming months actually have something CURRENT to see?
Status Of LT?

this probs gets brought up a lot

Whats the status of this?? when is it planned to be released?

when i backed it the original date for release was 2014, i understand that jose had a break down but since he told everyone about that is flakey on info on the game and it looks amazing just kindof missing a lot of update info

WobblerJW
Re: Status Of LT?

WobblerJW wrote:i understand that jose had a break down
Ahh yes, silly Jose had a car break down while trying to cross the border into the US. The border patrol found him and unfortunately he's been imprisoned since. :ghost:
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)
Re: Status Of LT?

WobblerJW wrote:this probs gets brought up a lot

Whats the status of this?? when is it planned to be released?

WobblerJW

Yes this does. The status is "it's done when it is done. " meaning that Josh is working as hard as he can to get the game out to us. Release is very likely within the next 5 years but there's always the chance I'm wrong.

Online Now