Return to “General”

Re: What stage is LT currently at?

Indeed, it's actually quite amazing the cumulative talent this game has attracted, from professional economists to professional astrophysicists, from managers to game designers - all in awe of what josh has done, and many ready to contribute and help out any way they can to make it even better.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:Indeed, it's actually quite amazing the cumulative talent this game has attracted, from professional economists to professional astrophysicists, from managers to game designers - all in awe of what josh has done, and many ready to contribute and help out any way they can to make it even better.
Beyond that, this forum has somewhat ruined me when dealing with "regular" forums.

Thought out well intended posts can and are drowned out by the "Fuk you NEWB lern to play!!@!!!$!" else where. (steam fourms... *shutter*)

Not to say this place hasn't has it's issues. (sometimes the ugly head of forum established elitism shows it's self, currently it just mostly lack of new posts) However, I am surprised on how well this place functions with minimum moderation hammering. The self correcting community here is just golden.
My Signature

Talvieno wrote:I really don't like the elitism factor either. It's hard to avoid, but I think with enough gentle nudges we can carefully iron a lot of it out. (I think I might be guilty of it at times myself. :( )

Nope, I don't think I recall you showing any elitism to be honest. I've probably been guilty of it before, as well as most of the +1K posters from time to time.

It's usually when someone with single digit posts tries to throw in a "new" idea or ask a question. With first can sometimes be confronted with:

"*Roll eyes*, this has been discussed to death here: *insert URL*, do we really need to discuss this further?"

the second regarding asking a question:

"Really this has been answered so many times! Use the search next time or check the FAQ!" or worse when someone assumes that the day to day happening of the Limit Theory bubble are somehow street knowledge that everyone should just know.

However, again, this place is generally a wonderful place to be. Normally people here are helpful and try to be nice on their own. I don't want to over shadow this. The above examples are thankfully, not that common.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:
Talvieno wrote:I really don't like the elitism factor either. It's hard to avoid, but I think with enough gentle nudges we can carefully iron a lot of it out. (I think I might be guilty of it at times myself. :( )

Nope, I don't think I recall you showing any elitism to be honest. I've probably been guilty of it before, as well as most of the +1K posters from time to time.

It's usually when someone with single digit posts tries to throw in a "new" idea or ask a question. With first can sometimes be confronted with:

"*Roll eyes*, this has been discussed to death here: *insert URL*, do we really need to discuss this further?"

the second regarding asking a question:

"Really this has been answered so many times! Use the search next time or check the FAQ!" or worse when someone assumes that the day to day happening of the Limit Theory bubble are somehow street knowledge that everyone should just know.

However, again, this place is generally a wonderful place to be. Normally people here are helpful and try to be nice on their own. I don't want to over shadow this. The above examples are thankfully, not that common.
Just FYI. While I love phpBB and it's a great forum software, it has a really crap search. It's very functional, but functional though it may be, it is very difficult to use when trying to search for and narrow down specific contextual ideas. So I really get annoyed personally when I see someone on a phpBB forum say "USE THE SEARCH!" you can use the search and still not find what you're looking for despite it having already been posted. So unless you are very familiar with the search system and have something specific in the idea you can search for within the context of the idea, there's no point getting upset with someone because they didn't use the search. Because the search isn't always that good.

Also I should note that this isn't a problem exclusive to phpBB. It's a problem a lot of forum software has.

Someone mentioned in another thread that it has been 1 year since the last real update on this game. I looked at my account date and it's been three years since I helped fund the game and joined the forums. So when I see a subject line asking what stage is LT currently at and I have no fucking clue, it's pretty depressing.

Tusck wrote:Someone mentioned in another thread that it has been 1 year since the last real update on this game. I looked at my account date and it's been three years since I helped fund the game and joined the forums. So when I see a subject line asking what stage is LT currently at and I have no frakking clue, it's pretty depressing.
It's all right, Tusck. At least it appears that denial, anger, and bargaining are already behind you. Next step is acceptance.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:
Tusck wrote:Someone mentioned in another thread that it has been 1 year since the last real update on this game. I looked at my account date and it's been three years since I helped fund the game and joined the forums. So when I see a subject line asking what stage is LT currently at and I have no frakking clue, it's pretty depressing.
It's all right, Tusck. At least it appears that denial, anger, and bargaining are already behind you. Next step is acceptance.
Alcohol, you forgot the alcohol stage.

Tusck wrote:
Tom wrote:
It's my favorite stage.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:
Tusck wrote:
Tom wrote:It's all right, Tusck. At least it appears that denial, anger, and bargaining are already behind you. Next step is acceptance.
It's my favorite stage.
I prefer the stage where they have you flying backwards and the enemies are coming from the left side of the screen. I always die there, but because of the way they switch it up, it's fun. :)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Realize it is a bit late being as it was a month ago you said something Victor but X-Rebirth did get all its bugs fixed and add a bunch of features. I am still not all that thrilled with the empire management bits but from the forums seems at least a few folks have built up pretty huge trade empires. Personally having played through it with the bugs I just can't make myself go back to it with a fresh face and play through again. So it sits on my hard drive and gets booted up for an hour or so every major update then I get pulled back to some other game. Probably the biggest thing keeping me from going back is there just isn't an endgame goal I can get behind even if you have the huge trade empire and all the money there really isn't that much to do with it.

Umbru wrote:Realize it is a bit late being as it was a month ago you said something Victor but X-Rebirth did get all its bugs fixed and add a bunch of features. I am still not all that thrilled with the empire management bits but from the forums seems at least a few folks have built up pretty huge trade empires. Personally having played through it with the bugs I just can't make myself go back to it with a fresh face and play through again. So it sits on my hard drive and gets booted up for an hour or so every major update then I get pulled back to some other game. Probably the biggest thing keeping me from going back is there just isn't an endgame goal I can get behind even if you have the huge trade empire and all the money there really isn't that much to do with it.
I haven't spotted your post till now, Umbru, so I'm fairly tardy myself. I've been catching up on X-Rebirth related goings on in the specific game thread. The work being done by Egosoft shows much promise but I do understand your unwillingness to revisit the scene of the crime. I've purchased the new DLC and do intend returning to the game at sometime in the not too distant future. :angel:
RichEdmonds wrote:Oh hai! Figured I'd make a return after all this time in the dark. That, and someone said there be a lack of posts. Well here's one more. :) Just read through Josh's most recent wall of text, glad to see little has changed around these parts.

(Hope everyone had a superb festive holiday and New Year.)
Good to see you posting again. :thumbup: It may have been me complaining about the lack of posts. I've recently discovered that it tends to be quite lively in IRC. I was amazed to find how much of a second home that place has become for many of the members here. :)

Online Now