Return to “General”

Re: What stage is LT currently at?

Daniel wrote:You guys need to understand, that the Limit Theory engine is tightly coupled at the moment, and that's a bad thing. Josh is trying to reverse his early design and development decisions, so that work can proceed much quicker than before (as I believe he has said). Loosely coupled software is much easier to work with, and better to maintain. This is a Good Thing™.
Personally I would have to disagree. I think in this case with how involved each part is a stark separation would be the best rather than a mix of modules all together. I guess we will have to see what the ol' boy can show us ;)

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

BMRX wrote:
jasonbarron wrote:
BMRX wrote:@Jason

I was under the impression that Josh actually had quite a bit of experience. Especially in the field of Procedural programming.

Source

In fact I don't think there is quite anyone else out there that has achieved what he has when it comes to this field, I'd dare to say he is THE expert. But maybe I've drank the koolaid. I did search for others who have done the same. They are out there, but Josh seems to be among the greats.

Does he have experience making games? Yeah a bit, maybe not as much as Chris Roberts. But LT isn't his first IIRC, it's just the first he's tried to make money from. So your generalization of "no experience" I feel is dumb founded due to a lack of research into Josh and his character.

All in all I think your opinion, though valid. Holds no ground. You looked at the game, and jumped on the "crowd funding is bad!" band-wagon. You take little risk in your life, there is nothing wrong with that. However I feel you do not receive any real reward due to your safe life style. I mean, would it really of hurt you to throw a bit of money at the game? Nah. Not at all, I mean when you back a game you aren't investing in it. You are donating on faith that something might come of it. If not, you aren't entitled to anything. It's a hell of a lot better than donating to any charity in the world. Where most of the donations go into the pockets of the people who manage said charities am I right?

Or do you not care about sick children either? :P
Your reply to my post doesn't really make sense, but I gather that you don't agree with me. That's your prerogative, of course. You've characterized me all wrong. What is this nonsense about me "not taking chances" and inferring that I don't care about sick children? I take chances all the time, both professionally and personally, and having children of my own I can assure you that I am deeply concerned with the health & well being of all children. And how exactly is donating to Josh somehow better than donating to charity?
I'm sorry you do not understand, however there is no other way for me to explain it without spoon feeding you and obviously offending you more than I already have. It's pretty self explanatory.
I gave answers to every point you asked about. I guess the best way for me to answer is just to quote my post. Which I did.

EDIT/ Bolded the answer to the only point you asked about... Leading me to believe you didn't actually read my post.

Alright, you want to play it that way. No, I'm certainly not offended, BMRX. It takes a lot more than some Internet cult member flaming me on some forum to get under my skin.Yes, I fully understand/stood your point, I just think your a jerk, you make a lot of crazy assumptions about my character without anything to back them up, and your (and a few others) passive aggressive attacks on me coupled with lack of moderator intervention is truly fascinating.

I simply spoke (in the first place) as a former fan of the game concept and concerned party who'd like to eventually play the game, all very justifiable opinions to share on a forum. Now, would you kindly stick that spoon you referenced in Uranus?

jasonbarron wrote: you make a lot of crazy assumptions about my character without anything to back them up
Hey now we're getting somewhere! Refer to the original post that I had originally replied to and you've taken my whole reply and bottled it up very nicely! :D

*/ Replace 'my' with 'Josh' and you're right on the money. ;)

EDIT/ has anyone noticed a rising trend in people referring to communities they disagree with as cult members? I never knew I was a part of so many different cults! All hail... Satan?

EDIT// Don't worry your head Jason. The mod's have yet to intervene because they probably are busy. I'm sure I'll be dealt with accordingly.
:D

BMRX wrote:
jasonbarron wrote: you make a lot of crazy assumptions about my character without anything to back them up
Hey now we're getting somewhere! Refer to the original post that I had originally replied to and you've taken my whole reply and bottled it up very nicely! :D

*/ Replace 'my' with 'Josh' and you're right on the money. ;)

EDIT/ has anyone noticed a rising trend in people referring to communities they disagree with as cult members? I never knew I was a part of so many different cults! All hail... Satan?
I never promised anybody anything, or took a bunch of money and disappeared with it, so there a few differences, eh?

I'm not looking to be attacked, and I'm not looking to attack you, but I will defend myself. I was just sharing some of my frustration with the state of affairs in the first place. You look at things differently? That's a-okay with me. I can tell when outside opinions/viewpoints aren't welcome.

Edit--Oh, I'm guessing when the mod hammer falls, it's going to be right down on top of my pointy head. But you know what? It'll be worth it--I've never successfully worked "Uranus'" into a converstation before :D

Alright, you want to play it that way. No, I'm certainly not offended, BMRX. It takes a lot more than some Internet cult member flaming me on some forum to get under my skin.Yes, I fully understand/stood your point, I just think your a jerk, you make a lot of crazy assumptions about my character without anything to back them up, and your (and a few others) passive aggressive attacks on me coupled with lack of moderator intervention is truly fascinating.

I simply spoke (in the first place) as a former fan of the game concept and concerned party who'd like to eventually play the game, all very justifiable opinions to share on a forum. Now, would you kindly stick that spoon you referenced in Uranus?
Wow, sorry to say man, but I think that reply is way too out-of-line and THAT particularly requires moderator intervention. Urgently.

I mean, I understand you getting angry and I agree with you. First: the original post you complain about was indeed making personal judgments about you. Personal judgments that were out of line in the first place. Second: I do agree, as I have done before, that you had received passive-aggressive reception just because of harshly (but legitimally) criticizing. Third: I do agree that moderation could have shown up to kindly ask that no one should go personal or agressive against you.

However, that language and tone you used right now has, in my opinion, no excuses. And was inefficient: now you will have the moderation intervention that so far you were not the one who deserved.
This is all about a computer game. Most of us try to see things positive and have fun with people while letting Josh get things done. You even didn't put a cent for it and get the license to critizise the whole thing and the people around here anyway. Don't you have anything else to do?

Yes, I find that laughable.
That's absurd. And that's the type of attitude that creates tension when anyone just tries to criticize. People have the right to criticize in an open forum whatever they want, no matter if they have paid. Otherwise just close the forum for people who have backed. Because you have to choose: either non-paying people have both the right to criticize and/or make laudatory compliments, or neither. You can not have only one. Important detail: no one should be laughed at because of expressing an opinion. If you don't agree with some critics, ignore them or counter-argue them. I just wished people would react against that kind of reply of yours more often. That way, other people who think differently would feel more welcome in this forum (this message of me is precisely my small contribution to that). And overall, everywhere else.

Kimny wrote:
That's absurd. And that's the type of attitude that creates tension when anyone just tries to criticize. People have the right to criticize in an open forum whatever they want, no matter if they have paid. Otherwise just close the forum for people who have backed. Because you have to choose: either non-paying people have both the right to criticize and/or make laudatory compliments, or neither. You can not have only one. Important detail: no one should be laughed at because of expressing an opinion. If you don't agree with some critics, ignore them or counter-argue them. I just wished people would react against that kind of reply of yours more often. That way, other people who think differently would feel more welcome in this forum (this message of me is precisely my small contribution to that). And overall, everywhere else.
As a backer and lurker since the beginning who has stuck with it, I can tell you it's hard to be in the group that doesn't keep to the "everything is fine" mentality. I agree this guy was being a jerk from the start, but even in civil tones I have seen people get put down. It's one of the reasons I don't contribute more. All we really want is more communication from Josh on where this development really is. I for one don't need videos and 3 page explanations, but you can't go from 60 to 0 with your communication, a monthly paragraph about what's going on would go a long way. I would love to know when the hell beta is coming because I backed for it, but I get why he doesn't want to put a date, however an estimate would be nice considering we are almost 2 years after the original release date given on kickstarter.

Ah, the Politically correct mentality rears it's head. Such umbrage taken in seemingly righteous form.

How about a few quotes?

“Fair speech may hide a foul heart.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

And this old classic:

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

It's a game. It's a forum. In the grand scheme of things they mean nothing. When you think about it, the ONLY real reason anyone is complaining, is because they aren't getting what THEY think they want or should have in the time frame that THEY want. It doesn't matter what anyone else wants or needs.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

This needs to stop guys. There is literally zero point going back and forth like this as you are. In all honesty if this thread can't remain on topic and civil it should probably be locked.
I think debating about the current situation of LT is very accurate to the point of this thread, as repetitive as it might become. But you are more than correct: keeping it civil is precondition for it.
But then Kimmy made the exact same points above, but worded much more expertly. So go and read that post a second time instead.
Many thanks for the support :)
I agree this guy was being a jerk from the start, but even in civil tones I have seen people get put down. It's one of the reasons I don't contribute more (...) I for one don't need videos and 3 page explanations you can't go from 60 to 0 with your communication, a monthly paragraph about what's going on would go a long way. I would love to know when the hell beta is coming because I backed for it, but I get why he doesn't want to put a date, however an estimate would be nice considering we are almost 2 years after the original release date given on kickstarter.
About the first part, that's exactly what I've been criticizing and I fully agree with you. About the critiques you bring, in my opinion that's the example of spot-on, reasonably made critiques.
It's a game. It's a forum. In the grand scheme of things they mean nothing. When you think about it, the ONLY real reason anyone is complaining, is because they aren't getting what THEY think they want or should have in the time frame that THEY want. It doesn't matter what anyone else wants or needs.
As much as I disagree, that's a valid opinion as any - one that I am more than willing to respect instead of mock. Asking the same for those who think the opposite and dare to bring critiques to the table is not asking much, I think.

Perhaps one reason that Jason is so surprised and reacts the way he does is that other game forums tend to tolerate much more negative opinions about their respective games before things blow up. One might say "well, LT isn't like other forums" - which would be true, if people like Lum didn't use mockery as a first response to criticism. Even to me it comes across as a little closed-minded.

I don't want to spend what could be devtime reading all the way through what has apparently become a highly-charged thread, so I'll just remind people: be nice.

Not nice as in, LT and Josh are all ponies and unicorns and such, but nice as in, there's another human being on the other side of that forum handle that deserves to be treated with respect, if nothing else, because they, like you, are human.

Oh, and then there's this: you're all on my forums and the rules say be nice. #dealwithit :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Lum wrote:It's a sad trend: snowballing small things because no real reasons aside the own created ones.

It's okay to come once in a year to criticise the dev and the community, but laugh at it isn't. Noted. I'm out of here.
Lum, I wasn't speaking specifically to you...it was just a general PSA. I have no idea what was said on either side nor by whom. I just noticed this thread getting hot and glanced over what seemed to be a lot of person-on-person negativity, hence the PSA. It was directed at everybody and nobody in particular. I hope you mean out of the thread and not the forums :cry:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now