Return to “General”

Voting

This is a suggestion for the forums. I feel that some good ideas may fall by the wayside as people are commenting on popular threads. What do you guys think of a voting mechanic in the forums so that subjects that may get lost can receive votes to bump it up?
Re: Voting

What would change?
Popular threads would get more votes so they stay on top either way.

If you want to bump a "lost" thread, add something useful to it and it won't be "bumping". =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Maybe I should be clearer, I did post this first thing this morning.

By implementing a voting system the community would be able to 'vote up' a subject they like, rather than relying on the amount of posts in a certain thread.
I don't comment on every idea that I like for example.

Most of what I read is when I have quiet time at work, as I don't really have the time to make in depth replies, and I am sure others are the same.
So, if I have a spare 5 minutes, I can have a look through the forums albeit in a limited way, and if I see something I like, click a 'Vote Up' button or similar.
That way, a good idea may not fall by the wayside simply because people may not have the time to make a comment or expand upon an idea.

If they are like me, they may read something they like, then when they come to it later they may not remember the title of the post and it would take a lot of skimming to find it again.
I find the reliance on number of replies to be very hit and miss. there are a lot of great subjects out there and this is a simple feature that may help bring them back into the light.

AlexDL78 wrote: If they are like me, they may read something they like, then when they come to it later they may not remember the title of the post and it would take a lot of skimming to find it again.
I find the reliance on number of replies to be very hit and miss. there are a lot of great subjects out there and this is a simple feature that may help bring them back into the light.
You're talking about something like Reddit, right?

Or is the issue you're stuggling with the ability to know which posts you want to comment/read when you come back to the forums after a busy day at work?

If it is the latter, there is a 'Subscribe Topic' link and 'Bookmark Topic' link at the waaaaay bottom of each thread just above the very bottom of the page. It is hard to see and doesn't actually show up when you 'Reply' to a thread (where it should as well). Just click this link and your control panel will track it for you so that you can come back to it later. It is right below the 'Who is Online' portion on the foot of the page.

If you want something like the former, I feel as though with the limited number of people engaging on the forums that there will be very little differentiation between the way it is now and the way it would be with voting. The fact that voting would seem to go against the way forums usually operate is just my own personal opinion.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

AlexDL78 wrote:Maybe I should be clearer, I did post this first thing this morning.

By implementing a voting system the community would be able to 'vote up' a subject they like, rather than relying on the amount of posts in a certain thread.
I don't comment on every idea that I like for example.

Most of what I read is when I have quiet time at work, as I don't really have the time to make in depth replies, and I am sure others are the same.
So, if I have a spare 5 minutes, I can have a look through the forums albeit in a limited way, and if I see something I like, click a 'Vote Up' button or similar.
That way, a good idea may not fall by the wayside simply because people may not have the time to make a comment or expand upon an idea.

If they are like me, they may read something they like, then when they come to it later they may not remember the title of the post and it would take a lot of skimming to find it again.
Unfortunately you are in the minority my friend. Join the minority club, along with mac (that's me) and linux users

DWMagus wrote:If it is the latter, there is a 'Subscribe Topic' link and 'Bookmark Topic' link at the waaaaay bottom of each thread just above the very bottom of the page. It is hard to see and doesn't actually show up when you 'Reply' to a thread (where it should as well). Just click this link and your control panel will track it for you so that you can come back to it later. It is right below the 'Who is Online' portion on the foot of the page.
Yes, I highly recommend this solution! A voting system I feel to be a little more complex than necessary, although I understand your point. However, hot threads do seem to stay on top here, and, again, I recommend subscribing to any that you enjoy :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I generally just look at the list that the Active Topics function produces and look at whatever interests me on that! :)
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Online Now