Return to “General”

looking forward

ok, so first of all, this is not a thread about josh being gone. it has been done to death and i think people have gotten what they needed to say off their hearts.

it's been a little while now since the last update video, and if you are like me the wait between updates have been totally worth it. so much visual candy going on. what do people hope to see when we at some point get to see LT return? i'm pretty certain we'll see a beta or something as it was planned to come out around this time.

Feature wise i'm hoping for a more fleshed out experience than we have seen so far. more routes to money, smarter AI, functioning markets with naturally occurring sources and drains (so far it has been a little staged with stuf kinda just being consumed.) and maybe even a larger amount of materials and resources.
Re: looking forward

I hope to see ship shields, a reputation system, tracking of discoveries, building of ships and stations, Import export of ships made in the editor, Oculus Rift support, and auto turrets. Shorten this list if Josh hasn't been focused on LT due to the other issues we heard about from RPS.

LT release before the end of the year, or else the Force will Awaken and we will never see him again. (Star Wars Episode VII)

What I hope to see is complexity in gameplay in general, especially
as far as ships and equipment are concerned.
Weaponsystems not only different by graphical effects + all other kind
of mods including the crews to make each Ship really special.
In connection with this ->Balancing -> Big Ships vs Small Ships; Drones vs manned Fighters
to give each type of equipment and each ship a meaningful Role.

Thats a lot of work to do so I am not sure about the feasibility nevertheless
Combat shouldn't be like playing chess only with the pawns(= Flight Simulator / Shoot them up)

First finding hidden wormholes or Jumpgates and the exploring new systems like
in Freelancer.

An (compared to EVE) improved way of mining(See video Nr. 14), not boring,
which may even generate a decent income since LT is not bound to this "Risk vs Reward"
crap like EVE.

My internal odds have changed. I now think the next thing that happens will be the appearance of The Game, with no beta.

So here's what I'm looking forward to seeing in that:
You are a Merchant. You have explored the farthest reaches of the universe, and know exactly where and for what price anything can be bought. For the right price, you can move anything. You supply what is demanded, and demand what you deserve - which is substantial...because you do so much more than move goods. You supply the universe.

You are an Admiral. You command a ship that dwarfs everything in sight. Frigates and cruisers hover about you, pretending to offer protection, but you don't need it. At the first sight of an enemy, hundreds of bolts carrying terrawatts of energy pour out of your ship, vaporizing the unwanted presence in seconds. Slowly and steadily, you drift from system to system, steamrolling those who oppose your authority. You conquer the universe.

You are an Explorer. You move quickly between systems in a nimble ship. With a keen eye and even keener sensing technology, you pick up all the details that everyone else misses. Selling ore locations to miners, enemy ship locations to warring factions, and uncharted system locations to aspiring empire-builders, you broker your knowledge to those that are ignorant of the beautiful and bountiful universe around them. You uncover the universe.

You are a Pirate. That's what they call you, but you prefer to think of yourself as an "opportunist," because, when the opportunity arises, you can and will take what you want, unlike those bound by the chains of law. Your home station resides in dense, unscannable clouds of dust. In this dark blanket of matter, you are untouchable by the arrogant hands of the law. You exploit the universe.

You are a Wingman. You fly alongside hulking ships that make your fighter look trivial. But you aren't. You are critical. You know where and when the ambush will come - you've seen it a thousand times before. You know that they'll go for the engines first, and that, while they're doing so, you'll acquire a perfect lock on their fuel tanks. The pirates think it will all be over in a few minutes. They're wrong. It'll be over in seconds, but not how they anticipate. You protect the universe.

You are a Miner. You can spot the shimmering reflection off of asteroids a lightyear away. You know the color and composition of each and every raw ore that the generous galaxy provides. In the deepest, darkest corners of space, you harvest that which will become warheads, turrets, and even ships. You are the very heart that pumps blood through the arteries of the universe. You create the universe.
Plus an undocumented LTSL. ;)

Flatfingers wrote:My internal odds have changed. I now think the next thing that happens will be the appearance of The Game, with no beta.
I'm not sure he can do that since beta access was a pledge people paid money for. And testing on various systems before releasing is a good idea because computers :ghost:

I mainly hope to see the game somewhere this summer so I can still play it. :mrgreen:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Victor Tombs wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I mainly hope to see the game somewhere this summer so I can still play it. :mrgreen:
:? ...do you plan on going into sort of coma after the summer, Dinosawer, or is your comment related to your studies?
:lol: The latter. I only play games during my holidays, which are july-august-september and a week in februari. And I have to do my thesis next year so that week in februari might not be much next year. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

From someone who has spent a lot of time playing Elite Dangerous the things that need to be nailed are:

Missions - Interesting, diverse missions with consequences are a must. Give me a few delivery missions sure but try and make them so there are add-ons for a job well done or consequences for a failed job.

Variety - One gripe I have with ED is that their are a limited amount of space station designs (and at present ship designs!). What bugs me is the Imperials have the same space stations as the Federals and the Alliance. There is no real feeling of different beliefs, ethos and designs.

AI - You need smart AI pilots and given this is a one player game this is absolutely key. What we don't want is cannon fodder that just fly in a straight line. What we do want are a mixture of skill levels and flying styles so there are challenges for those who want them.

Rankings - I really do like the ED ranking system, it lets you know you are getting somewhere. I'm not saying LT should copy it but Josh has a great way of looking at things in games and coming up with his own style for it and I'm hoping for something similar.

ALIENS! - Everyone loves aliens don't they (apart from Sigourney Weaver)! :lol:

I would love to see singularities, in my opinion they would help conveying a sense of mystery and danger and add an interesting layer to exploration.

There could be gravitational anomalies (attractors, repulsors, crushers), "accidental" wormholes that would suck you in by surprise and send you to a remote, random place.

Electromagnetic anomalies could momentarily stop your ships engine. It's not much, just a pinch of unexpectedness.

Since Josh is so good with graphics, I can imagine coming across a system where there would only be a big black hole similar to Gargantua in the movie Interstellar :
Image Just random ramblings from my part, but the rest has already been mentioned by the others :D

My answer is simple. I am looking forward to a game. I know that may sound odd but those who know me might understand what I mean. So far there are significant signs pointing to LT being an amazing engine and framework but possibly lacking in the game department. Primarily due to the fact that Josh has consistently lost sight of the bigger picture and focused far too much on trivialities that when hyper-focused onto seem extremely important but when contrasted against the big picture are simply small cogs in a much larger machine, a machine that hinges on all of these separate design elements working together in a sensible and cohesive fashion. I am very worried that Josh has built the game in such an erratic way that when it's all put together and working as a product it simply won't function well. So yeah my ultimate desire is just to see the game work as a game and not just a scripting engine/platform. There is a phrase often thrown around when projects go a little bit too far into "overtime" called feature creep. I don't think LT suffers from feature creep I think it has suffered from design creep. I hope for all the things that people have suggested above, but ultimately all of those to me are part of the core design that was laid out in the kickstarter. He set himself very ambitious goals and I fully believe he is capable of meeting them. To be capable of meeting them he has to stop allowing himself to get "carried away" with the code or as some might put it "getting into the zone" because that zone is where he gets lost and stuck. I don't mean to dictate to him but "the zone" works for some, but I do not believe it works for him due to his inability to look at the big picture whilst he is in said zone. Now I will end this rant with saying, just get the game finished as best as possible then release the beta (Obviously towards Josh).

P.S. The only thing I do not really wish for specifically are "random" stellar content/events that all an all aren't necessary and would simply add more work onto an already strained project.

I agree, if you look at the wiki or even take the time to browse through the dev logs, you'll find that Josh does have his hands full and is even putting off features such as "player factions" just to get the core game out to the public. I really want Josh to finish coding the core game, get it into beta and shortly there after into release state. New ideas are welcome, but please try to keep them in the suggestions thread as Josh already has plenty of work to do.

I'm hoping that by now Josh has finished all of the partially implemented items and has moved on to the final items that are needed for the beta. I guess Early 2015 comes to a close today. I honestly hope that Josh takes time today or tomorrow to give us a short progress report as to what has been done in these last three months.

BFett wrote:I'm hoping that by now Josh has finished all of the partially implemented items and has moved on to the final items that are needed for the beta. I guess Early 2015 comes to a close today. I honestly hope that Josh takes time today or tomorrow to give us a short progress report as to what has been done in these last three months.
While I hope you are right, I wouldn't hold my breath. As much as this may sound pessimistic I tend to approach these things with a negative outlook so that I'm not overly disappointed but can be happily surprised when I'm wrong. Btw do we know if Carriers are still going to be a post-release feature? I can't really remember what the official state of that was.

Online Now