Return to “General”

Re: [tool] Return of the Josh checker

Sevron wrote:Apparently noone is interested in the service I am offering through the popup on the site, which is useful but also could be considered a donation.

Unfortunately without your support I do not have any more time to implement the twitter post checker, sorry about that. :oops:
This is the equivalent of those guys who come and wash your windshield without asking when your stuck at a traffic light. You've done something nice that many people appreciate, but no one asked you to do it so you can't be upset when you're not getting paid for your work.

clayjohn wrote:
Sevron wrote:Apparently noone is interested in the service I am offering through the popup on the site, which is useful but also could be considered a donation.

Unfortunately without your support I do not have any more time to implement the twitter post checker, sorry about that. :oops:
This is the equivalent of those guys who come and wash your windshield without asking when your stuck at a traffic light. You've done something nice that many people appreciate, but no one asked you to do it so you can't be upset when you're not getting paid for your work.
It's not a bad comparison to be honest.

On a slightly different note, while typing my last message I had a knock at the door, some people collecting for some children's charity... Me and my big dog politely asked them to leave... I have an issue with beggars, even ones who have noble causes. If I WANT to give someone money, just make it so I can easily have the option of doing so if I decide I want to do so. The "hard sell" tactic has the exact reverse effect on me, I wish more others would do the same and maybe people would stop using it.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:[...]
On a slightly different note, while typing my last message I had a knock at the door, some people collecting for some children's charity... Me and my big dog politely asked them to leave... I have an issue with beggars, even ones who have noble causes. If I WANT to give someone money, just make it so I can easily have the option of doing so if I decide I want to do so. The "hard sell" tactic has the exact reverse effect on me, I wish more others would do the same and maybe people would stop using it.
:thumbdown: i can't find any way to discuss this and stay on topic. In case you're interested* in a discussion, it'd be nice if you could create a appropriate thread in off-topic? I'd "love" to join a discussion if you PM me :)

To some degree on topic: i don't think the windshield washer is a good fit. In my experience, drivers get annoyed by them and try to stop them from doing it (like using the windshield wiper). Atleast in the case the driver has previously encountered them and doesn't want the service. You can't prevent it in this case, since there is no "warning" at all.
This here, in my opinion, is worse. "Btw. you liked it, so why wouldn't you give me money... *cough*". But still, a simple polite "i don't agree" should still suffice. I really hope Sevron isn't going to defend his expectation any further, i have looked at his "main site" and would love to get my impression off - but i know i shouldn't :) (it's not warranted at this point imo, just assume the best scenario if unknown really)
Anyways, that's all i can contribute to this discussion at this point.

(* if you're not, it's of course also fine and you can freely ignore me asking)

Grk wrote:Just because i get really annoyed by marketing BS, i thought i'd check how much effort it takes.
Estimated ~1h
Needed: 1h 25m (misplaced a bracket and was too dumbfound to notice & debugged for 30m...)
Tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/cmwv2zzB

It's not complete for usage though, since the one from Schuwi should be compatible as far i've seen (grabbed the URLs to check from there :) ).
Btw. Schuwi, if you're interested, this version is a little bit shorter and less copy-pasty ;D
I haven't bothered to reimplement the html stuff to show in forum & to cache the responses like you do.
It was just an excuse for me to try tampermonkey out :angel:

//edit:
Schuwi wrote:[...]
Ok it's working with Tampermonkey now :)
that explains it, haven't paid much attention after i got annoyed :clap:
Wow that looks really much better than my code (not that it would surprise me) :ghost:
I'm goin to sleep now but I'll take a closer look and maybe implement it later :angel:

I'm happy that I sparked an interesting conversation, this whole thing is an experiment for me, so it is good to read your thoughts about it.

It also makes me a bit sad that you all try to make it personal, and call me some kind of hard selling beggar, which makes no sense, but whatever.. :?

Anyways, someone should write a detailed checklist for non technical people about how to install the greasemonkey script in the topic, or better yet, create a short video tutorial.

I would gladly edit my first comment to point to that post, since that script is already superior to my solution. :ghost:
Lost faith.

Dinosawer wrote:Usually this kind of thing is a labour of love and people write them for fun. I have done something similar for another game and the thanks of the other players were enough reward for me. ;)
Any chance you could do something similar for your own musical activity, Dinosawer? Or are you too busy working on the final tracks of your forthcoming album. :P :mrgreen: :angel: *chuckle*

Victor Tombs wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Usually this kind of thing is a labour of love and people write them for fun. I have done something similar for another game and the thanks of the other players were enough reward for me. ;)
Any chance you could do something similar for your own musical activity, Dinosawer? Or are you too busy working on the final tracks of your forthcoming album. :P :mrgreen: :angel: *chuckle*
Due to standard reasons (school) further recording activities are scheduled for my summer holidays. ;)
I might throw some more old recordings on Soundcloud in the meantime though, but I'm not at home right now so that'll have to wait a week or two. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Schuwi wrote:[...]
Wow that looks really much better than my code (not that it would surprise me) :ghost:
I'm goin to sleep now but I'll take a closer look and maybe implement it later :angel:
Glad to atleast spark some interest with this experiment. In case you have any questions regarding the implemetion, feel free to send me a PM :geek:
Sevron wrote:I'm happy that I sparked an interesting conversation, this whole thing is an experiment for me, so it is good to read your thoughts about it.

It also makes me a bit sad that you all try to make it personal, and call me some kind of hard selling beggar, which makes no sense, but whatever.. :?

Anyways, someone should write a detailed checklist for non technical people about how to install the greasemonkey script in the topic, or better yet, create a short video tutorial.

I would gladly edit my first comment to point to that post, since that script is already superior to my solution. :ghost:
Well, your argumentation for that pop-up service really sounded that way. Afaik most people who read it, didn't understood it the way you inteded ;). Happy you clarified it, of course.

As for the tutorial part, i think a few screenshots would suffice. Personally, i wouldn't bother if no one asks for it. But then again, i'm lazy :roll:

Since there is still no sign of an update, I thought I could post some statistics that could be interesting to you. :geek:

I've sarted up this service 3 months ago, and since then:
  • 3100 people have used it
    • These people have visited the tool 9000 times
    • Currently an average of 60 people are visiting it on a daily basis. (I hope they are not bots) :?:
See the attached screenshot for more details.
Lost faith.
Attachments
visitors.png
visitors.png (77.25 KiB) Viewed 2152 times

Online Now