Return to “General”

Re: [tool] Return of the Josh checker

Victor Tombs wrote:
I've been lurking for some time, and created this account just to say;

I hope that dude isn't dead. I have dreams of galactic conquest and LT is the only game that I wish to do this in.
No, he's not dead, BMRX, I'm sure we would have felt a disturbance in the force if Josh had expired prematurely. :angel:
I don't wish to be a downer and I keep faith. But sometimes silence isn't golden.

BMRX wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:
I've been lurking for some time, and created this account just to say;

I hope that dude isn't dead. I have dreams of galactic conquest and LT is the only game that I wish to do this in.
No, he's not dead, BMRX, I'm sure we would have felt a disturbance in the force if Josh had expired prematurely. :angel:
I don't wish to be a downer and I keep faith. But sometimes silence isn't golden.
I certainly do agree with you on that observation, BMRX. :angel:

Schuwi wrote:
CSE wrote:Could we make a mod for the forum, that checks your tool and in case of a green button add a large green bar on top of the forum? :twisted:
If you mean a userscript for Greasemonkey(Not working with Tampermonkey atm; gonna have a look tomorrow :? ) that checks for posts in the last two weeks on Kickstarter or in the Forum, yes I could.
https://github.com/Schuwi/Return-of-the-Josh
Took me quite some hours though :roll:
It's not using the Tool but I think thats ok? :ghost:
:thumbup: to this, especially since I just so happen to have had Greasemonkey sitting (previously idle) on my toolbar.

The sadface on a red banner is abit of a downer, though. :(
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Schuwi wrote:
CSE wrote:Could we make a mod for the forum, that checks your tool and in case of a green button add a large green bar on top of the forum? :twisted:
If you mean a userscript for Greasemonkey(Not working with Tampermonkey atm; gonna have a look tomorrow :? ) that checks for posts in the last two weeks on Kickstarter or in the Forum, yes I could.
Ok it's working with Tampermonkey now :)

Schuwi wrote:
Schuwi wrote:
It works great and makes me sad at the same time :(
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Sevron wrote:Apparently noone is interested in the service I am offering through the popup on the site, which is useful but also could be considered a donation.

Unfortunately without your support I do not have any more time to implement the twitter post checker, sorry about that. :oops:
I'm, of course, late to the game but I'm not sure what service you're offering that would warrant a donation. A Twitter checker? It checks for Tweets from Josh?

Sevron wrote:Apparently noone is interested in the service I am offering through the popup on the site, which is useful but also could be considered a donation.

Unfortunately without your support I do not have any more time to implement the twitter post checker, sorry about that. :oops:
Wait, so the paltry amount of traffic from this site was the only thing keeping you going on this? Or it was the chance at getting money off a small subset of the forum users?

I'd hate to say it, but even if you got donations from the small number of people who visited your site, it wouldn't be more than a handful.

This kind of reeks to me as spam or taking advantage of the user base. :think:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:

Wait, so the paltry amount of traffic from this site was the only thing keeping you going on this? Or it was the chance at getting money off a small subset of the forum users?

I'd hate to say it, but even if you got donations from the small number of people who visited your site, it wouldn't be more than a handful.

I am working on creating something useful that makes people's lives better.

It takes time, the server has costs, and I offered a service that takes more of my time, and would save more of the users' time, for five bucks.

Why on earth would you call this taking advantage of anyone?

Do you work for free in your dayjob?
Lost faith.

Sevron wrote:
DWMagus wrote:

It takes time, the server has costs, and I offered a service that takes more of my time, and would save more of the users' time, for five bucks.

The Return of the Josh Checker was/is your day job? :?:

If this is your day job, then I sincerely apologize. Since most browsers come with pop ups disabled, I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't realize you were trying to monetize off of this via pop-ups.

No, I don't work for free at my day job, but I also don't work for pay as a moderator. If this is your day job... I doubt the few people from this site going to the checker would be enough to even offset server costs, and I would think even fewer of those visitors would turn off their pop up blocker for a simple check script. :?

As a moderator, I think the tool is nifty for those that aren't on the site regularly, but I'll leave it to them to value what it's worth. Personally, if it was a choice to pay for this or just visit the site, I'd just visit the site--but then again, I'm always on the site so that opinion is completely invalid.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Just because i get really annoyed by marketing BS, i thought i'd check how much effort it takes.
Estimated ~1h
Needed: 1h 25m (misplaced a bracket and was too dumbfound to notice & debugged for 30m...)
Tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/cmwv2zzB

It's not complete for usage though, since the one from Schuwi should be compatible as far i've seen (grabbed the URLs to check from there :) ).
Btw. Schuwi, if you're interested, this version is a little bit shorter and less copy-pasty ;D
I haven't bothered to reimplement the html stuff to show in forum & to cache the responses like you do.
It was just an excuse for me to try tampermonkey out :angel:

//edit:
Schuwi wrote:[...]
that explains it, haven't paid much attention after i got annoyed :clap:

Sevron wrote:
DWMagus wrote: Wait, so the paltry amount of traffic from this site was the only thing keeping you going on this? Or it was the chance at getting money off a small subset of the forum users?

Some people spend hundreds of hours making free mods, just because it's fun and they like to give something back to the community.

I'm not sure if I should respect the fact your being honest about the money part or annoyed that your looking for money for such a small niche service.
My Signature

Online Now