Return to “General”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

Dinosawer wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Kercso wrote:Josh, please tell me that you're planning on naming all the systems after mathematical theorems. I'll buy two copies.
I'd like to see how you name infinite numbers of systems after finite numbers of systems.

By hand
I'd like to see how you name an infinite number of systems with a finite number of characters while keeping reasonable short names

Same problem, you see? :ghost:
Just a little back-of-the envelope calculation here. Let's say you're allowed between 3 and 20 character-long names, and maybe no fewer than 15% of those characters must be vowels (we'll include y). Then 3-6 characters uses 1 vowel, 7-14 2 vowels, and 3 vowels up to 20 characters You're looking at:

6* ( 3*26^2 + 4*26^3 + 5*26^4 + 6*26^5) ) + 6^2 * ( (7*6)26^5 + (8*7)26^6 + ... + (14*13)26^12 ) + 6^3 * ( (15*14*13)26^12 + ... + (20*19*18)26^17 )

A little plug-n-chug in wolfram alpha gives me a number of roughly 1.732 * 10^30 different possible words. That's a lot! Given that 64 bit computers can store on the order of 1.8 * 10^19 different values ( at least according to Wikipedia ), you'll be bumping up against issues like wraparound and generally being out of memory before you exhaust all possible words.

Feel free to correct my math if something is glaringly wrong, in which case I'm very sorry! Anyway, had to find some what to entertain myself this morning...

Dinosawer wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:I've seen a couple of people now saying multiple monitor support is confirmed.

Where is that coming from?

I just went back and carefully re-read RTB #1, and I see no mention of multiple monitors anywhere.

Am I missing something?
The main problem with, say, 2 monitors is that most games place the reticule dead in the middle - which in my case is the border between my two screens. With a movable reticule I can just put it in the middle of one screen and put the informative widgets on the other screen. :mrgreen:
Yep! :D :thumbup:

I always wanted radar to be on a smaller screen down in front.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Dinosawer wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Kercso wrote:Josh, please tell me that you're planning on naming all the systems after mathematical theorems. I'll buy two copies.
I'd like to see how you name infinite numbers of systems after finite numbers of systems.

By hand
I'd like to see how you name an infinite number of systems with a finite number of characters while keeping reasonable short names

Same problem, you see? :ghost:
You might run into a problem with ASCII strings, but if LT uses Unicode, odds are you'll run out of storage space long before you run out of possible system names.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:You might run into a problem with ASCII strings, but if LT uses Unicode, odds are you'll run out of storage space long before you run out of possible system names.
It seems that using certain Unicode characters breaks phpBB... well, let's just say that I can't wait until this system name appears in Limit Theory:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage "PILE OF POO, PILE OF POO, PILE OF POO, NO ONE UNDER EIGHTEEN SYMBOL, PILE OF POO, MAN IN BUSINESS SUIT LEVITATING." :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now