Return to “General”

Re: Fans, a blessing and a curse

Josh gave the impression on a few occasions that he needs a fire under his ass from time to time.
He doesn't want to be pampered with "take your time, we'll wait till you're done". He wants "give me the _perfect_ game as fast as possible!". Perhaps even more for his own sake than for ours.

Josh wants to get out of the coding cave eventually, to pick up his life where it left off two years ago. I'll happily encourage him to behaviour I think would be beneficial to that effect. In all honesty, this is even against what I want for LT. I want Josh to take his tme and polish the game as well. But as a person, considering a person... I want him to get the game out, get his life back on track and finish the game through updates.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Poet1960 wrote:That's all true, but I fear you may be underestimating the impact of peer pressure. Whether you understand it or not, WE have more impact on him than you might think, or even he thinks. Partly it depends on the strength of his personality, but I don't think I've ever met a human that was completely immune to peer pressure.

We exert pressure on him. Don't you see that? Sure he is doing what he wants to do, but at the same time, he knows we are all here because we like what we see, and he wants at least to some degree, to gain some validation from us about what he is doing. It's always a nice feeling to know people agree with you.

Suggestions and ideas are a different matter, not the same. While it is true he is under no obligation to do anything we say, he still considers what we say and it has an impact. Whether he acts on that is another matter, but it still impacts him. If enough people express "concerns" about things taking too long, is it possible he may leave out something that would have been awesome even though it may not have added much dev time?

Nobody said he isn't his own boss, but if someone besides himself tries to impose a time constraint on him, or hurry production, what would you call that? I was pointing out that he should take full advantage of being his own boss by taking his time and doing it right.
Sure, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

At the end of the day, Josh wants to build a game people will like. Some validation and feedback is a valuable tool to making that happen. The fact that those interactions come with a certain impact is probably unavoidable, but I'm sure that developing the game in a vacuum, hearing no input or opinions from anyone else, would probably be worse in the long run with respect to the game's quality.

Don't forget as well, that a healthy percentage of fans would also be Kickstarter backers. Helping to fund the game may not entitle a backer to dictate to Josh about his decision making, but it does make them a stakeholder in a unique way that fans usually couldn't experience before the advent of crowdfunding, and puts Josh under some legitimate pressure to deliver on his promises.

I'm sure that whenever you display your work publicly, you get a mix of negative and positive responses, but I'm sure it all contributes to motivating Josh. And a motivated Josh is not the worst outcome in the world.

:wave:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Its also a thing that suggestions just show josh something he would like to see in the game, hyperions parleionic icons, my idea abou wormholes, all things josh may never have gotten the idea of if we hadnt put our peer pressure on him.

So may our peer pressing cuts a few smaller things, but it also gives josh ideas.
Ideas which may the community has designed or ideas josh had because we said something

You should probably also realise that you made a statement, and there are people here giving their opinions on your statement. That doesn't mean we're trying to influence you or want to take ownership of your idea or feeling.
It just means that we care enough about you and what you say, to talk to you about the subject.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Kercso wrote:Josh, please tell me that you're planning on naming all the systems after mathematical theorems. I'll buy two copies.
I'd like to see how you name infinite numbers of systems after finite numbers of systems.

By hand
I'd like to see how you name an infinite number of systems with a finite number of characters while keeping reasonable short names

Same problem, you see? :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote: I'd like to see how you name an infinite number of systems with a finite number of characters while keeping reasonable short names

you are not limited in letter numbers ;)

Short names are optional
One might argue that in a video game, they are not :ghost:

System: Rhbyiukjuuhjhubfesaxgrnigcrmohtfrcaecykpumugrxaqectyiimgtcssvhniknyvdsxwrftfvswqwzxereeokinybffdfvcgbhygcesvghnjybfdcsfuutvufcexcr

Dinosawer wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote: I'd like to see how you name an infinite number of systems with a finite number of characters while keeping reasonable short names

you are not limited in letter numbers ;)

Short names are optional
One might argue that in a video game, they are not :ghost:

System: Rhbyiukjuuhjhubfesaxgrnigcrmohtfrcaecykpumugrxaqectyiimgtcssvhniknyvdsxwrftfvswqwzxereeokinybffdfvcgbhygcesvghnjybfdcsfuutvufcexcr
I'd like to throw in a number or 50. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

DigitalDuck wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:System: Rhbyiukjuuhjhubfesaxgrnigcrmohtfrcaecykpumugrxaqectyiimgtcssvhniknyvdsxwrftfvswqwzxereeokinybffdfvcgbhygcesvghnjybfdcsfuutvufcexcr
Isn't that in Wales? :mrgreen:
You're confusing with Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch :mrgreen:

Dinosawer wrote:
DigitalDuck wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:System: Rhbyiukjuuhjhubfesaxgrnigcrmohtfrcaecykpumugrxaqectyiimgtcssvhniknyvdsxwrftfvswqwzxereeokinybffdfvcgbhygcesvghnjybfdcsfuutvufcexcr
Isn't that in Wales? :mrgreen:
You're confusing with Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch :mrgreen:
(TRUE STORY) :shock: Image
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Online Now