Return to “General”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

MyNameWuzTaken's Survival Journal
Day 13. Definitely Day 13.

I awoke with a sharp pain between my temples. Pressure seemed to build behind my eyes and focus itself on that point where the bridge of your nose meets your forehead. I felt nausea rear its ugly head, and I aimed away from my laptop just in case. The wave of bile settled and I breathed in. The room felt too hot. I needed a shower. My pants are gone.

I looked at my computer screen and knew instantly that I had done far too much theorycrafting the night before. It's been a problem for me in the past. I'm just the kind of person who can't write just one forum post. The first one leaves my finger tips, and the next thing I know I'm pounding out another. The next morning, I can't remember anything I wrote. Come to think of it, I can't remember much of the past two days... That's almost a record bender for me. It's a good thing my wife took Rebecca to visit her grandparents this weekend.

Somehow though, aside from the pounding headache, the sweating, and the sickness, I feel calm. Something has happened in the past few days that I can't put my finger on, but its quieted the storm in my mind. For the first time in a week and a half, I feel like I can breathe. I ponder this as I shower, and fragments of memory come back to me.

Be back soon :)

I hear it faintly, as if carried on the wind, and I almost drop the blender I just mixed a Theorycrafting recovery shake in. It was spoken in a voice that is forever seared into my mind after 22 dev updates that I've watched a thousand times. Peace fills me. I smile, and drink some of my shake. I'm no longer afraid that my faith is just a comfortable delusion. I drink some more of my shake. Needs more ibuprofein I think, pain spiking in my head as I toss another tab into the blender.

A few hours later, there's a knock on my front door, loud and insistent. I wince, but make my way to the front door. I swing the door wide.

"Oh thank god, you're dressed." A man is standing at my door. I recognize him from the camp. He's the same man who moved his family a few days ago to play Eve Online.
"My name's Steve. I know of you, but we've never officially met." He offers me a hand and I shake it, awkwardly. The light from outside hurts my eyes. Steve holds out a pair of jeans to me.
"I found these in the tree out front. I assumed they were yours. You gave my wife quite the scare the other day." I'm confused. I take the pair of pants from him, which are indeed mine. I feel sluggish. 'What do you mean?"
He looks at me, amused. "You don't remember running naked through the Kroger parking lot, screaming about the good news?" I wince. "Again? I haven't done that since college." Too much information for a person I just met. I am slow this morning though. Things remain awkwardly quiet for a while.
"Okay, well, thanks for my pants," I offer weakly, waving the pair of jeans at him. I start to close the door. His hand stops it.
"Wait! Is it true? Is Josh really returning?" I stop trying to close the door. I glance over my shoulder, into my house, and then look at Steve. His face looks desperate. Eve online must be slowly killing him. I feel pity. a war wages inside of me, and for a while it seems the headache is winning. Then my merciful, patient side wins out over self interest. I open the door.
"Come on. I'll show you." I gesture back into my house, towards my office.
A line from field of dreams runs through my head. If you run, naked and screaming, through a Kroger parking lot, they will come. Or something like that. I don't know. It's a long movie and I never really paid much attention to it. I think it had to do with farming and baseball. Whatever.

To be continued...

light487 wrote: I have no problem whatsoever with Josh giving the RTB plan the flick and updating us whenever there is something major to report on... but it's a bit strange for there to be no communication of this... to go from basically daily reports to weekly to nothing in less than a month is concerning to say the least.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll hear what is going on and the plan for the future of communications.
Agreed. It was strange to have a ton of communication, then one day like a switch, it stops.

I am sure he is still working on LT, and I am also sure we will see LT at some point.

When, and what we will see exactly is of course up in the air.

I wont lie, part of me has a concern that the communication stoppage was due to him deciding to do something that some members of the community might not agree with. For example, going back to tweak and redo already working systems or menus. I personally believe he has the personality trait that could allow him to get trapped in a circular development for ever.

Perhaps he has continued to overcome this tendency and in a week or two he will surprise us with a big announcement. Either way. Josh will do what Josh will do.
My Signature

Safe-r wrote:It's obvious that Josh went into a coding frenzy. I have no idea why some think he abandoned the project (especially after being so successful in implementing a whole lot of stuff?). He'd rather be dead than that.
Probably. I don't think many regulars think he has abandoned the project. It's understandable for someone who is a non-regular to think this however. Imagine if you only ever checked the dev logs every two weeks or so. You would check them to see a sudden stoppage a month ago. What conclusion would you possibly make? Josh has certainly hinted that his current radio silence was coming, however, a non-regular poster here might not see what is somewhat clear to the rest of us. Edit: Also to be honest, even to a regular poster it's not crystal clear. Josh should really do one last "I'm alive, working like crazy!, post to the dev logs
tokmak333 wrote:someone call cops, maybe he is dead. Call the cops to check his home! He is M.I.A :(
I am pretty sure he is alright. There are some users here, who over the years I have drawn the conclusion that they know Josh better personally than they have let on. I am sure one of them would have done something by now if there was an actual problem.
My Signature

tokmak333 wrote:someone call cops, maybe he is dead. Call the cops to check his home! He is M.I.A :(
JOSH IS KILL.- Sly
:ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now