Return to “General”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

axefrog wrote:
Scytale wrote:the lady doth protest too much methinks ololololo
Indeed, my response to him wasn't personal. All forms of typographical errors cause me to twitch. Occasionally I succumb to the desire to fix them.

{ they're, there, their, lose, loose, then, than, your, you're, want, wan't, its, it's, alot, should of, could of, a whole nother, ginormous, break, brake, the safternoon, ... that's all I can think of right now ... }
I sympathize :P This isn't a typographical issue, but my personal peeve is when Commonwealthers think that using the suffix "-ize" on the end of words like "realize" etc. is somehow an American introduction into the language and should be avoided for that reason.

'the safternoon'? That's excellent, I'm going to use that.

It's at this point that I'm starting to get concerned. If Josh got hit by a truck, would we even know? I humbly request that when the pause unpauses, Josh start a thread in which every day, he will simply post "ping" or a :ghost: or a something. Just an anything, taking no time to worry about how to present it. Just so we know an update is being worked on. Thoughts?
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

Keon wrote:It's at this point that I'm starting to get concerned. If Josh got hit by a truck, would we even know? I humbly request that when the pause unpauses, Josh start a thread in which every day, he will simply post "ping" or a :ghost: or a something. Just an anything, taking no time to worry about how to present it. Just so we know an update is being worked on. Thoughts?

Josh has probably, for reasons of his own, taken a hiatus from the forums. Those of us that have been around for a while have already been through something similar in the past. Go back and read some of the past posts and the multitude of funky theories as to why he was gone the last time.

I'm sure Josh is just fine.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Poet1960 wrote:
Keon wrote:It's at this point that I'm starting to get concerned. If Josh got hit by a truck, would we even know? I humbly request that when the pause unpauses, Josh start a thread in which every day, he will simply post "ping" or a :ghost: or a something. Just an anything, taking no time to worry about how to present it. Just so we know an update is being worked on. Thoughts?

Josh has probably, for reasons of his own, taken a hiatus from the forums. Those of us that have been around for a while have already been through something similar in the past. Go back and read some of the past posts and the multitude of funky theories as to why he was gone the last time.

I agree with Poet (!), and it's otherwise a little presumptuous for us to be Josh's 'guardians'. There's a reason JOSH IS KILL became a joke.

Scytale wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:

I agree with Poet (!), and it's otherwise a little presumptuous for us to be Josh's 'guardians'. There's a reason JOSH IS KILL became a joke.
:lol: Oh great, now Cornflakes is gonna get jealous. Thanks a lot.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Scytale wrote:I sympathize :P This isn't a typographical issue, but my personal peeve is when Commonwealthers think that using the suffix "-ize" on the end of words like "realize" etc. is somehow an American introduction into the language and should be avoided for that reason.
While I don't want to get into this subject AGAIN, "-ize" makes more sense because that's how it sounds; the problem comes when there are so many other times an S is used when it's pronounced like a Z that makes it kinda pointless to even worry about. :mrgreen:

I use "-ise" because I'm British and that's how it happens to be spelt over here at the moment. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:
Scytale wrote:I sympathize :P This isn't a typographical issue, but my personal peeve is when Commonwealthers think that using the suffix "-ize" on the end of words like "realize" etc. is somehow an American introduction into the language and should be avoided for that reason.
While I don't want to get into this subject AGAIN, "-ize" makes more sense because that's how it sounds; the problem comes when there are so many other times an S is used when it's pronounced like a Z that makes it kinda pointless to even worry about. :mrgreen:

I use "-ise" because I'm British and that's how it happens to be spelt over here at the moment. :mrgreen:
*clears throat*

For wikipedia's take on it,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

and if you prefer it from the source,

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/ .

The long and the short of it is "-ize" is as British (edit: if not more so!) as "-ise" (which I believe is the Cambridge convention). Tragically, in Australia they exclusively prescribe "-ise", which makes no (edit: some) sense to me, but I can't understand why, other than (perhaps, I don't know) some misplaced belief that "because the Americans use it, it can't be right".

further edit: irritatingly, in the interest of disclosure I did find this source, which implies that there was a time when "-ise" was the standard in British English, noting that it came from the French rather than the Greek "-ize", but that the current standard is inclusive of both types. Note that the OED emphasizes that the first use of "-ise" was in the 18th century, rather than the first use of "-ize" in the 15th.

Hence, Enterprise.

Wait.

Actually, I can't think of any time I haven't seen our U.K. friends not use the "-ise" ending. It may be acceptable according to some guide for them to use "-ize," but they don't seem to be reading that guide.

If some of them insisted on "-ise" while others happily used "-ize," I might go with the notion that the first crowd were a bunch of elitist ninnies. But given that pretty much everybody goes with "-ise" I can't see tarring them with the "reflexively anti-American" brush.

That silliness appears to be reserved for BBC newsreaders and the occasional SNP loonie. ;)

Also, spelt is a fish.

:lol:

(Which reminds me of the old Boston joke: "If you paid over six dollars a pound for fish, you got scrod.")

Flatfingers wrote:Hence, Enterprise.

Wait.

Actually, I can't think of any time I haven't seen our U.K. friends not use the "-ise" ending. It may be acceptable according to some guide for them to use "-ize," but they don't seem to be reading that guide.
I am so naming my first ship in LT Enterprize. Just for you.

Flatfingers wrote:Hence, Enterprise.

Wait.

If some of them insisted on "-ise" while others happily used "-ize," I might go with the notion that the first crowd were a bunch of elitist ninnies. But given that pretty much everybody goes with "-ise" I can't see tarring them with the "reflexively anti-American" brush.

That silliness appears to be reserved for BBC newsreaders and the occasional SNP loonie. ;)

Also, spelt is a fish.

:lol:

(Which reminds me of the old Boston joke: "If you paid over six dollars a pound for fish, you got scrod.")
In my defence, I wasn't trying to argue that "-ize" is by default better and that anyone who uses "-ise" is therefore anti-American; I just get annoyed when people explicitly say "I use -ise because -ize is American". DigitalDuck was not saying that, I just really wanted an opportunity to offload some URLs.

As for whether anyone in the UK actually uses "-ize", the journal Nature, which you might have heard of, follows Oxford spelling. In everyday use, I don't know, since I don't live there.

Flatfingers wrote:Actually, I can't think of any time I haven't seen our U.K. friends not use the "-ise" ending. It may be acceptable according to some guide for them to use "-ize," but they don't seem to be reading that guide.

Yeah, there's nothing anti-American, at least not from my point of view, anyway - as I said, I actually prefer "-ize", as well as some American words for things.

It's not that "-ize" isn't acceptable, it's just that "-ise" is standard - and a lot of people do use "-ize", especially when they haven't changed their spell-checker to the right language. :mrgreen:
Flatfingers wrote:Also, spelt is a fish.
You're right! There's only one real past tense of "spell":

sell --> sold
tell --> told
spell --> spold

It's spold. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now