Return to “General”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

I think it's a pretty big adjustment to go from daily logs to maybe weekly logs but ultimately it's for the good of the project. At some point there has to be Beta and then a full release. I get the feeling that Josh will probably never be "happy" with what he produces, he just strives too hard for perfection :monkey: . Heh, this is his baby and we are all along for the ride. I'm just happy to be here to be honest :D

Philip Coutts wrote:I get the feeling that Josh will probably never be "happy" with what he produces, he just strives too hard for perfection :monkey:
And I think he is very capable of achieving that perfection. He has showed us in the pass that he knows where to draw the line and what is not meant to be in the first release.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Kvallning wrote:Bad vibes or no, I just want Josh to deliver on the promises and plans he makes. That's all.
That's a bit of a curse, I'd rather Josh get things nailed down so it works and looks okayish and then releases it to the public, the important thing to capture in a public release; and I don't know if there will be a public beta - at that point if the game is too.. wait it's single player....

Okay so there's no meta to worry about, at which point it comes down to balancing which can only be improved with many eyes and grubby fingers.

Delivering on the promises and plans doesn't mean perfection in the first public iteration. It doesn't mean perfection in the first public iteration. Josh repeat it doesn't mean perfection in the first public iteration.

Thank you.
Life is about memories, the more the better.

Kvallning wrote:Bad vibes or no, I just want Josh to deliver on the promises and plans he makes. That's all.
I agree. I don't think he's a bad guy, he's just young and new to this whole thing. Should he have at least tried to stick to the weekly plan for more than two weeks? Perhaps. Will he fall into a (partial) circular development cycle again? Will he end up redoing and polishing the same stuff over and over? He might.

Do I wish he would deliver on his promises and plans he made for himself? Yes...

However, I have come to accept that this will just not happen.

I have two options:

a) it frustrates me, so I stop following Limit Theory and forget about it all to together.

b) just accept that this is something Josh will do, and probably keep doing for the remained of the development cycle.

There is nothing anyone can do here to "force" Josh to do what he says he's going to do, so it's option a or b...

I'm going with "b" for now. There is no point in being mad about it. It's just a game, not the research for the cure for cancer. If it ever stops being fun and interesting to follow Limit Theory, I just won't follow it anymore. I suggest everyone do the same. :angel:
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:
I have two options:

a) it frustrates me, so I stop following Limit Theory and forget about it all to together.

b) just accept that this is something Josh will do, and probably keep doing for the remained of the development cycle.
Yeah, I agree with you Zanteogo, and I'm choosing "a". Not that I'm going to forget about Limit Theory altogether, but I will be forgetting about following it's development. When I could check the website each morning and read a little bit of Josh's insight into game development, it was fun, but now that it has become a drawn out waiting game for periodic content, it simply isn't a spectator sport anymore. I wish Josh the best and I'll likely buy the game when I find that it has been released, but I won't be waiting with baited breath.

P.S. I know there are those "holy defenders of Parnell" out there who might view statements like this with disgust, but it certainly isn't intended to reflect negatively on anything Josh has done or will do. I think RTB is the right way for him to proceed (I think the daily devlogs were fun, but largely a waste of his time and contributed to the delay of the game). I think Limit Theory will be a great game. I do NOT think that he "owes" it to anyone to communicate anything he's doing, and I don't blame him for moving in the direction he has. I simply don't enjoy following it anymore, and am making a decision to use my time elsewhere.

the only way josh could fail to deliver on his promises... by not posting anything. wait... thats already happening.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)

As Zanteogo said, he's young and these things happen. Deadlines and creative endeavors don't gel well. I personally choose to simply not talk about work in progress stuff, but Josh unfortunately doesn't have that luxury after the kickstarter. Well, hope he's doing something interesting.

Kambalo wrote:
Etsu wrote:
clayjohn wrote:Given the amount of time it's been since we heard anything from josh I have a feeling that he's off the grid until beta is released. I feel like the only thing that would keep him away for so long would be the idea that he has enough drive and energy to make the final push for beta.
Yes. It has been a looooooooog time. Lets see... Oh, less than a week. I am horrified. How could he leave us for so long?[/sarcasm_mode]

I don't want to sound rude, but sometimes I feel like this is a kindergarten, with a lot of kids crying because their mother has leave them. The week is not even over yet.

I understand that people is impatient, but sometimes we can go to the extreme.
The problem is that Josh himself said that he would be releasing weekly updates, I dont even think people care about the weekly not been met, people care about that he has not posted anything since Feb 1. People just want to hear from him, like "hey guys busy coding shout to you later" That is all people want to hear.

NOW ON THE OTHER HAND JOSH SAID THIS:

"To be honest, I've become rather unconcerned about things like "+1 day" ever since RTB. It is especially strong this week. But hear me out -- it's actually a result of something very good, it's not because I don't care about LT!! ;)"

If I still remember how to read subliminal messages this part sticks out

" it's actually a result of something very good,"
I am quoting myself hoping to sound optimistic.

I pop in here now and again looking for breadcrumbs but to be honest there are plenty of games out there at the moment to pass my time whilst waiting for this one. I do worry a bit about it but not that much because Josh has shown plenty in the monthly dev videos to suggest that he is working hard and is producing some truly exceptional work.

Tbh I don't care if Josh doesn't speak to us again until he's ready to start beta, as long as he doesn't say x will happen on y date or even imply that x will happen over the course of y dates and then fail to deliver. Regardless of the reasoning it just isn't necessary. For him, or for us. He can have his own internal deadlines, he can beat himself up about it if he wants to privately but I have a strong dislike for showmen who feel the need to put out false hope then fail to deliver, then try to compensate by overselling and dramatizing some "super cool coming soon" announcement or feature that may sate and impress some or even many, the reality is that it doesn't matter how amazing it is if you are starting out each new form of "news" or information or release off with let downs. Repeated let downs have hurt Josh's credibility and RTB is as I understood it meant to be a serious push, drive and focus on getting the game beta ready. With regular weekly updates on whatever feature he worked on/finished.

Now if finished is the key, it tells me that for some reason or another he isn't "finishing" features, or he isn't showing us when he does finish. Not sure which it is nor do I care but I would really like him to just be honest with us. If no more "updates" are coming for awhile... tell us. We are grown ups, we can handle it. Leaving everyone to speculate only further damages his credibility, and before any Josh defenders jump on me for saying this keep in mind that not everyone has the utmost faith in Josh nor does anyone have the right to expect that. Personally I've been disappointed a few too many times by developers that are more than qualified to deliver top-notch quality but for whatever reason didn't. Maybe they took a silly development path, maybe they got in over their heads, maybe they oversold in the first place as a potential customer these things do not matter. I love the potential of LT I really do. I love what Josh has done so far. But when I think about it in the most realistic and simplistic terms... LT is not at present a game. It's an engine. A powerful and amazing engine, but still just an engine. Now up to the point where it starts becoming a game we have been seemingly cast out of the loop and while I take some solace in Victor's confirmation of Josh keeping on track I'm still going to hold my reservations until I start seeing some actual true to form game play. Not "tech" demos and tech displays but serious game play. Can be as small as a animated gif/video of 30 seconds displaying features. Can be a series of screen shots it doesn't matter. Josh is still at risk of being one of those developers that releases an amazing framework/engine for a game. We'll see either way.

Btw this isn't at all to bag Josh or even try to force him to update us, in fact I don't care if he updates us as long as he is honest about it.

Online Now