Return to “General”

Units of Measurement (Split from R2tB)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:looked at it more closely.

the thing with the dimensions in kilometres instead of metres is my smallest issue with dimensions and units :crazy:

energy production in joule!! m(

please! if you use SI units, use the proper ones

watt!!

storage can be in joule, but production PLEASE in watts!

another thing i noted:
the border between the straight and curved part in the rounded item highlight is not closed, its discontinous.
Thanks for catching the J issue Cornflakes, my mistake -_- And yes, those were supposed to be meters not kilometers :?

--

Thank you all for your feedback on RTB #2 :)

I'm slightly sad to see the amount of debate caused by it (although it seems some of the debate is about hypothetical situations rather than real ones??), but I've somewhat come to accept the fact that unrest will likely continue to grow until the thing is in you guys' hands. That's OK, at this point, beta is my only goal. Right now I feel that it is of utmost importance to get these most basic player-side pieces working and done so that I get more in touch with LT as seen by the player. It was a mistake to think that player-side stuff could wait while core mechanics & AI were developed. An honest mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. One that I am now fixing :)

Anyway -- let's have a more serious look at RTB after #4, when we'll have had a month of this dev style to compare to a month of the old (and, perhaps more importantly, to see how much closer to a beta-ready game one month brings us). I really do think you all are going to be pleasantly surprised (and not just because of what has been shown in #1 and #2 :) ).
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Units of Measurement (Split from R2tB)

JoshParnell wrote: Thanks for catching the J issue Cornflakes, my mistake -_- And yes, those were supposed to be meters not kilometers :?

hope you didnt get that too hard, it just hit me hard :lol:

JoshParnell wrote: Anyway -- let's have a more serious look at RTB after #4, when we'll have had a month of this dev style to compare to a month of the old (and, perhaps more importantly, to see how much closer to a beta-ready game one month brings us). I really do think you all are going to be pleasantly surprised (and not just because of what has been shown in #1 and #2 :) ).
*jumps eagerly up and down because of undefined excitement*
Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

JoshParnell wrote:Oh no worries, I understand that SI units can elicit a great deal of excitement in certain people :P
Those people are the best people!
Chan.JENI
You’ve found our frequency,
Now check out our data mine!

Jafo Entertainment & News, Inc.
Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

I much prefer a fictional system of units in space games. ;) :angel:

Well done in spotting Mr Parnell's slip ups, Cornflakes. :thumbup: I wasn't looking that hard at the actual text but I doubt if the errors would have registered with me. I also tend to miss the subtle "jokes" that find their way into the updates.

I'm not as quick as I used to be. :lol:

Edit: And I am aware that there was only one slip up mentioned but I'm playing it safe just in case Cornflakes finds more. :mrgreen:

Flatfingers wrote:
Kichae Chandramani wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Oh no worries, I understand that SI units can elicit a great deal of excitement in certain people :P
Those people are the best people!
Pffft. Give SI zealots an inch and they'll take a mile.
At least we don't crash spacecraft on Mars
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Flatfingers wrote:
TGS wrote:There are many many games that are literally rehashes of an older game engine with new graphics and maybe if we're lucky new features. It's kind of an dirty little trick developers sometimes use to keep their "brand" going and to milk a game type.

Taking an old engine and changing everything, slapping new graphics on it and calling it a new game does a new game not make!
Cornflakes_91 wrote:so you claim that every game using the unreal engine is the same?

or every game that uses the unity engine is the same?
Tch. Don't be tendentious.

TGS pretty clearly was referring not just to a basic game-building engine but to a complete game, which already has gameplay mechanics implemented and gets mostly a visual facelift.

That's how Cryptic was able to crank out Star Trek Online in the 18 months they were given to make it. Jack Emmert acknowledged that the only way they could do it was to re-use their superhero MMORPG... which is why characters in STO had magical innate "powers" instead of being clever with technological gear (including starships) as a proper Star Trek game would have been.

Reskins bad.
Thanks, the reuse of engine and game mechanics is what I meant (and should have mentioned more specifically).

And BTW, Star Trek Online fails to interest me due to its RPG-like nature where I'd prefer something more simulation-like. But that's another story ;)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:so you claim that every game using the unreal engine is the same?

or every game that uses the unity engine is the same?

i fail to see any similarities between kerbal space program and anna :P
Uh no? I wasn't saying or implying anything of the sort. Not even sure how you got that from what I was saying lol. Rabiator got what I meant lol. I could have cited clear examples, but I didn't really want to "flame" any companies or developers. Especially considering some of the ones I'm thinking of have been struggling in a way. You'll find that many developers reuse engines they've previously developed in. Even the big names do it. You just never hear about it, and luckily due to their increased skill set and production values they can often change it a lot more dramatically than say... a one man indie studio, or... a 20 man lazy ass studio.
Last edited by TGS on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scytale wrote:
You do realize that's not an intrinsic problem with Imperial units, that's a problem with communication, right? And I'm an SI zealot.
I do, but if everybody would simply use SI all the time such miscommunications wouldn't happen. :ghost:
The company was asked to give output in SI and gave it in imperial units instead.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Scytale wrote:
You do realize that's not an intrinsic problem with Imperial units, that's a problem with communication, right? And I'm an SI zealot.
I do, but if everybody would simply use SI all the time such miscommunications wouldn't happen. :ghost:
The company was asked to give output in SI and gave it in imperial units instead.
But if everybody simply used Imperial all the time such miscommunications also wouldn't happen. It'd be a bad idea, mind you, for most of the other reasons using Imperial in a scientific or engineering context is a bad idea, but not for this reason =P

Online Now