Return to “General”

Re: Units of Measurement (Split from R2tB)

Kichae Chandramani wrote:
Kambalo wrote:Again I really dont see the need to implement or use the units we have now on Earth. Josh could create a unit called Barabim Barabam and say that between system alpha and system beta will take you 1500 Barabim Barabam to get there how will you know if those are miles, light years or parsec, the only unit I would be worry about would be time units no distance units.
Again, why have units at all, then? The Barabim Barabam is meaningless noise. It's completely contentless, and provides negative information to the player.
I agree but in other hand when you are exploring you must calculate how much fuel you need to go from point A to point B and you must know the distance to plan accordingly.

Kambalo wrote:I agree but in other hand when you are exploring you must calculate how much fuel you need to go from point A to point B and you must know the distance to plan accordingly.
You use the 1500 in that calculation. Never said get rid of the numbers...
Chan.JENI
You’ve found our frequency,
Now check out our data mine!

Jafo Entertainment & News, Inc.
Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Kambalo wrote:Again I really dont see the need to implement or use the units we have now on Earth. Josh could create a unit called Barabim Barabam and say that between system alpha and system beta will take you 1500 Barabim Barabam to get there how will you know if those are miles, light years or parsec, the only unit I would be worry about would be time units no distance units.
I really don't see the need to create units instead of using the ones we already know, as all it does is obfuscate absolute values, and ask questions of the consistency between the interface's treatment of language and units. The real-world units don't have to exist in the game world itself, merely in the interface, where English already exists.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Victor Tombs wrote:No, Etsu, "immersion" is most definitely not an imaginary word. It's that which we as gamers seek in certain games. If your assertion was correct I could see very little future for the VR of Oculus and the like, or all those peripheral input devices which mimic real world devices such as steering wheels, pedals, HOTAS systems etc.

That's all about IMMERSION. :angel:
Well, there you have it. That doesn't create immersion to me. :D
Victor Tombs wrote:And I'm very sorry to read that you've never experienced it in a game. :(
Immersion is something you can get not just from games but also from movies, books, TV shows, etc. What I haven't experienced is that thing called "immersion-breaking".

I have no problem with real life stuff in an "imaginary" world and vice-versa. (As Jim Ballard said in the seventies: our world is, after all, imaginary too.) The last Metal Gear Solid game talk about some delicate issues like the prisoners on Guantanamo Bay, child abuse and the murder of innocents for political reasons. That doesn't change the fact that, in a previous game, the president of the United States wears an exo-esqueleton with tentacles and there is a vampire in the plot. (Actually, those were well played techniques to talk about the nature of reality and perception, manipulation of information in a digital age, and the necessity of growing up in a childish medium, but that's a subject for a different time and place.)

I said that immersion has no meaning because it means different things for different people. I have read a lot of discussions on the subject in role-playing forums, and it never goes well. Everyone seems to know what immersion is. It just that nobody agrees about it.

In role-playing games there is a branch of people who believes that information that is not available to the character shouldn't be available for the player. I'm on the opposite branch. However, it's not about one thing or the other: it's about what works better for an specific game. So here the important thing is what is better for Limit Theory, and in this case -being a "simulationist" game (what Ron Edwards calls "The Right to Dream")- limiting player information to what the character has available seems right to me.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Immersion in my opinion is defined by how a person perceives a story or environment to be real. Every one of us has a different view on what is realistic within a sci-fiction environment.

What this means for me is that I don't like zombies, vampires, and werewolves. On the other hand, I like 3 story tall robots, super heroes such as spider-man and Iron Man, and I don't mind mutants too much either. I guess this means that certain things appeal to certain people for certain reasons. I like technology advancement but I'm not as much a fan of biological advancements that change humans. I guess I'll stop rambling since the gist of my post was in the first sentences.

:wave:

I would like to propose an new 'Ages' system, were Ages is the ultimate measurement.

You are seven ages tall, but the toilet contains twelve ages of water.
The pull of Earth's gravity is 5 ages. However, in a different moment in time, its -45 ages.
Two identical cups, with identical amounts of water, contain different amounts of ages.

It makes math really easy too! 2 + 2 = 7 Ages, and 3 + 2 = 1 Age!

There are two options. Option 1) Alien measurements with alien script. Meaning that the player has to learn to read everything in the game. (Maybe for a mod but a horrible idea for a commercial game. Just play the game in a foreign language if you really want "immersion")

Option 2) Play the game using standard measurements and English script. This is what most people will want because it doesn't require knowledge of another language. Units should use the metric to accommodate the widest audience possible.

BFett wrote:There are two options. Option 1) Alien measurements with alien script. Meaning that the player has to learn to read everything in the game. (Maybe for a mod but a horrible idea for a commercial game. Just play the game in a foreign language if you really want "immersion")

Option 2) Play the game using standard measurements and English script. This is what most people will want because it doesn't require knowledge of another language. Units should use the metric to accommodate the widest audience possible.
Could it be both?

Everything human is in metric, while everything( or some things ) alien are in a different measurement system, generated randomly for each race.

Online Now