Return to “General”

The January 2015 Devlog Discussion Thread

Since we know now that the devlogs will continue for the near future even with the RTB plan starting :oops: , I thought today's devlog would be a good one for starting the new devlog discussion thread.
[color=#BF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:Not surprisingly, 'tech,' which is one of the three top-level branches (and is appropriately-massive), is almost entirely marked complete :roll: :shifty:
:D

You're poking a little fun at yourself, Josh, but at least one person out here wouldn't have had you do things any other way. Get the core tech wrong (or skip it), and everything else is harder to do well. Get the tech right, and give it priority, and everything else flows more smoothly.

Although now I'm wondering what those other two major branches are. :) Music, maybe, and ... ?
[color=#BF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:After digging into the tree for several hours, I once again started to feel annoyed at the inadequacy of my project management tools.
It only seemed natural that I should attempt to put together a quick tool to embody the master planning tree in true, interactive (and hierarchical) format.
I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist growing your own. Heh. :)

Actually, this is exactly the tool I'd like to see exploit the jaw-dropping node editor interface that got so much attention back in Development Update Video #10. To be able to pop into and out of the complex structure of a big project, and to be able to quickly perceive what sections need attention and what their primary dependency is... awesome. Take that, Gantt charts!
[color=#BF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:I'm also considering a small mini-fridge. You know, to shave some valuable time off of those trips to replenish the Diet Coke :shifty:
Do it.

I don't often date myself, but I will in this case: I went to college in 1980 with a mini-fridge. After a detour of a decade to my mom's use, it came back to me... and I'm still using it Right Now. It's right behind me in the Grand Tower, filled with delicious beverages; it's never needed any service or Freon or anything else.

I wish everything I owned was as rock-solid as my mini-fridge has been for so long.
Re: The January 2015 Devlog Discussion Thread

LTSL-based planning tool
Sounds like some potential gameplay is hidden in the meta... Would be nice to see whatever you come up with combined with cornflakes' pipelines as the project management experience to rule them all.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Throwing all those useless programs and programing your own planning tool in a couple of days was loooooong overdue, you lazy mister :D

As for the three main branches I would point to tech, content and bureaucracy. Under the third one we could smash everything outsourced, from promotion to legal or financial matters. Content would include music. Tech would include graphics. Only my 2 cents :D
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:As for the three main branches I would point to tech, content and bureaucracy. Under the third one we could smash everything outsourced, from promotion to legal or financial matters. Content would include music. Tech would include graphics. Only my 2 cents :D
+1 for high plausibility.

While we're talking about bureaucracy production, Laura Bularca over at Gamasutra has some excellent pro tips on production for a game.

The one about localization interested me: should Josh be designing LT so that all the text in the game is relatively easy to convert to non-English languages?

And to the idea of treating launch as a party... I like that approach, but it did get me thinking about the beta. Namely, that when it's as "ready" as it'll ever be, don't release it. Wait a day. Sleep. Watch episodes of BSG. Relax. Because the 24 hours after launch will be a maelstrom of mad activity.

While we wait for the next devlog, any other thoughts on these or the other suggestions from that article on production tips for games?

Flatfingers wrote:
Lum wrote:As for the three main branches I would point to tech, content and bureaucracy. Under the third one we could smash everything outsourced, from promotion to legal or financial matters. Content would include music. Tech would include graphics. Only my 2 cents :D
+1 for high plausibility.

While we're talking about bureaucracy production, Laura Bularca over at Gamasutra has some excellent pro tips on production for a game.

The one about localization interested me: should Josh be designing LT so that all the text in the game is relatively easy to convert to non-English languages?

And to the idea of treating launch as a party... I like that approach, but it did get me thinking about the beta. Namely, that when it's as "ready" as it'll ever be, don't release it. Wait a day. Sleep. Watch episodes of BSG. Relax. Because the 24 hours after launch will be a maelstrom of mad activity.

While we wait for the next devlog, any other thoughts on these or the other suggestions from that article on production tips for games?
You're right at renaming the third branch. I suppose I'm sick of it living in the Federal Bureaucracy of Germany... :think:

Regarding the language conversion, I see a couple of problems, the main one being syntaxis. Proceduraly generated texts using other than english will be difficult. Ah, those mods... :D
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Flatfingers wrote:
[color=#BF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:I'm also considering a small mini-fridge. You know, to shave some valuable time off of those trips to replenish the Diet Coke :shifty:
Do it.

I don't often date myself, but I will in this case: I went to college in 1980 with a mini-fridge. After a detour of a decade to my mom's use, it came back to me... and I'm still using it Right Now. It's right behind me in the Grand Tower, filled with delicious beverages; it's never needed any service or Freon or anything else.

I wish everything I owned was as rock-solid as my mini-fridge has been for so long.
Yup.. definitely. I had one in my apartment when I lived by myself as my main fridge :) Still have it now even though we've moved 3 or 4 times since and we own a normal size fridge. :) Can fit a surprising amount of stuff in there and because it had a small freezer section, I can even store frozen treats there :)

Josh, if only you used Emacs instead of Vim, I suspect you'd find that org-mode was all you needed (and more) in a plain-text planning tool. As it is, even with the (reputedly fine) Vim emulation layers available, I think picking up Emacs and org-mode at this point might introduce a non-trivial delay in the development schedule :) (But seriously, some people do learn Emacs specifically so that they can use org-mode.)

Hello all! Longtime lurker here, followed this developement since its inception with great joy. As much as I want my dream game to get finished, I can't help dreading the moment when developement and devlogging stops. Feels like I've already gotten my moneys worth time and time again just by following Josh and the rest of this wonderful community on this ride. Come to think of it, it's definitely the kickstarter I've gotten most out of so far, without the game even being released yet...

Anyways, the thing that finally prompted this post was Josh's recent mention of his foray into a building a node-based planning-tool. Ever since first hearing about the node-ui and seeing the first examples, this has been a wet dream for a productivity junkie like myself.

Thing is, since then I have found a tool that works just like the one I imagine Josh is looking for. It is a node-based(!) tool/outliner called http://www.workflowy.com (no affiliation, just a happy customer) and I suspect many already have heard about/are using this.

Since this has transformed my way of working with information and has so much in common with the node-based UI (well it is a node based ui), I've been tempted to post about it before, but I imagined Josh already would have a solution he was happy with. But when I read this latest devlog I changed my mind.

I definitely urge anyone interested (in this context, especially Josh) to check it out. Even if Josh decides to go the route of building his own (which admittedly would be super awesome), I'm positive there are valuable tips and inspiration to be had from checking it out. If you ever want some usage tips I'd be happy to oblige, I've been living in this tool for two years now.

Ok, feels like the first post ended up like a commercial here which makes my slightly queasy, so I'll stop now :) Anyways, happy to be here and to be in for the long ride. Maybe even take part now that the ice is broken... :)

/Martin

Josh wrote: PS ~ Yeah, I know, that devlog deficit
Why does Josh keep bringing up this term, "devlog deficit".

search.php?keywords=deficit&terms=any&a ... mit=Search

To me, it is akin to creating un-necessary stress.
(Hidden under the surface, but still there.)

After all, the daily devlog is more for Josh to muse upon his thoughts and we're just along for the ride.

Josh:
New Year's suggestion - forget about "devlog deficit" and just update when you can. No pressure from us.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now