Return to “General”

Re: The RTB discussion thread

JohnDoe wrote:But what if Josh had joined ISIS? Shouldn't we at least notify the authorities?
Well, if he joined their cyber terrorist wing we are all safe. After all, it will take him 5 years before he releases his first virus, that he will announce to the world in a series of 12 over the top videos.

Also, if he closes his door to his coding cave (which at this point, will quite really be a cave), his fellow ISIS members won't sit outside and discuss for months if Josh is really in fact still inside, and if he is, if he has possiblely given up on the dooms day virus?

They will just blow the cave up.
My Signature

Everyone has different tastes. I am extremely hard to offend, so I have no problem with jokes about murderers, sex, cancer, whatever. Shock humor isn't nearly as funny to me as other types, but it has its place.
Spacecredentials: looks at stars sometimes, cheated at X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, killed a titan once.

JohnDoe wrote:But what if Josh had joined ISIS? Shouldn't we at least notify the authorities?
This is definitely a very serious thing to suggest, and a very odd one as well. I understand many people are addicted to unexpectedjihads, but this post doesn't mention any sort of "jihad", only suggesting Josh has joined ISIS. Further, you say, "Shouldn't we at least notify the authorities?" as if this is something you know has happened.

You have an odd, anonymous, and common name, "John Doe", and you have only managed to accumulate 6 posts in over two years, and that is a long time to "lurk."

You weren't really lurking, were you? Please step into the van, good sir, and make sure to pack a pair of shorts and some lotion: it's hot and sunny down in Cuba.
You have disobeyed God. Now you must pay the consequence.
[/i]

Hello.

I am a refugee from another game where after nine months of play (and I mean like all day every day) the devs suddenly reset the server on us :wtf:

So I've been trawling the web looking for the next time-sink, when I came across Limit Theory. I watched the videos. Unbelievable. That Limit Theory has been developed by just one bloke, well there simply isn't a word for that. It puts the entire video gaming industry to shame. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

But I want to add a few things.

There is no point in speculating about the current state of affairs. Disappointment is entirely understandable of course, but that's life. Our only option is to accept reality as it is, not how we want it to be. Otherwise we will merely upset ourselves (and others) for no good reason.

Most importantly, I sincerely hope Josh is ok and in good health. Really this is all that matters, not progress on the game, meeting deadlines, etc.

Assuming everything is indeed ok, then one of the most obvious issues regarding development appears to be Josh's tendency to keep the community informed of progress via weekly dev updates, frequent videos, the RTB plan, etc. Just...no. All the time wasted doing this is valuable time not spent working on the game, relaxing to recharge batteries, or doing whatever else is necessary to make this project work.

My advice to Josh is slow down, pace yourself. Develop Limit Theory at a speed that you're happy with, as this and only this will maximize the chance of success. You've come up with the mother of all games. If it works Limit Theory will revolutionize gaming as we know it. This is more than enough in itself. You don't need to worry about keeping everyone happy.

Regarding the community, I hope (as you do) that this project succeeds. I think the best way to ensure this is with a supportive approach. Speculation and negativity are entirely detrimental. Such activity will increase anxiety, which is bad for development (not to mention health). Patience and encouragement are what is required here.

I think I've got it all figured out! :thumbup:

Josh left us a cryptic, yet positive, post because when the excitement of LT kicked in he anticipated going dark for a month of dedicated content explosion, and actually being able to get to beta quickly.

Since the structure for so much of the game was in place, the procedural content he put in exponentially grew -- and the universe of LT "came alive". He began final polishing the gameplay that will eventually suck up "millions of man days" across its eventual fan base.

Then Josh Parnell made one fatal mistake... he sat down to play-test LT, and has not looked away from his screen since! ;)

That's what I believe and I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:

Josh is easily one of the most skilled developers, as well as game craftsman, I've run across -- for instance, his work on procedural music creation in school was excellent (one reason I'm sad that anewmusic.com went under construction, he had some really great stuff up there).

LT's progress has been outstanding. Sure there have with bumps along the way, but THAT is what happens when you are crash coding a project for years! It has ups and downs, sometimes you laugh, and sometimes you cry (metaphorically of course. Because I never cry :shh: ).

I'm sad that we've not heard from him for so long, and yes, I wish he'd just post a "still alive and LT'ing" message. But once it became clear that something bad hadn't happened to him, my worry was replaced by jealousy -- since he gets to spend every waking moment with LT :)

jwmickelson wrote:I think I've got it all figured out! :thumbup:

Josh left us a cryptic, yet positive, post because when the excitement of LT kicked in he anticipated going dark for a month of dedicated content explosion, and actually being able to get to beta quickly.

Since the structure for so much of the game was in place, the procedural content he put in exponentially grew -- and the universe of LT "came alive". He began final polishing the gameplay that will eventually suck up "millions of man days" across its eventual fan base.

Then Josh Parnell made one fatal mistake... he sat down to play-test LT, and has not looked away from his screen since! ;)

That's what I believe and I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:

Josh is easily one of the most skilled developers, as well as game craftsman, I've run across -- for instance, his work on procedural music creation in school was excellent (one reason I'm sad that anewmusic.com went under construction, he had some really great stuff up there).

LT's progress has been outstanding. Sure there have with bumps along the way, but THAT is what happens when you are crash coding a project for years! It has ups and downs, sometimes you laugh, and sometimes you cry (metaphorically of course. Because I never cry :shh: ).

I'm sad that we've not heard from him for so long, and yes, I wish he'd just post a "still alive and LT'ing" message. But once it became clear that something bad hadn't happened to him, my worry was replaced by jealousy -- since he gets to spend every waking moment with LT :)

Maybe the LT universe literally came alive and josh is busy trying to kill it... :roll:
HUFFI-MUFFI-GUFFI

Online Now