Return to “General”

Re: The RTB discussion thread

To be honest, I've become rather unconcerned about things like "+1 day" ever since RTB. It is especially strong this week. But hear me out -- it's actually a result of something very good, it's not because I don't care about LT!! ;)

Anyone who's been keeping up with the devlogs for some time will know that I'm a high-anxiety person, especially with respect to other peoples' expectations. I feel tremendous magnitudes of guilt if I believe that I haven't done exactly what I should have done / as best I could. The natural result is a lot of apologizing, something I think many around here are used to :lol:

And yet, something is different here...what could it be? Well, I will give you a hint: I've not changed substantially as a person, nor have I found some miracle drug to cure my anxiety :lol: So the remaining possibility? Am I actually, for once, confident that my work is exactly what is should be and is proceeding as fast as could be expected of me (or faster!?)

Yes. Yes I am. I can't remember, the last time I felt like this. Maybe Januray 2013 or so :ghost: I wake up each day with a vision of an infinite, procedural universe in my head, I go to bed with it, I live, eat, and breath Limit Theory right now. I have to make a concerted mental effort to remember to eat two meals a day, I nearly loose control of my bladder each time I need to use the bathroom, because just one more minute with my work will be worth that pain :ghost: :crazy: I've got a plan that's getting clearer every day, I've got a dream with which I'm falling back in love more and more each week, I've got an excitement that's setting me on fire more and more and more, and I've got a toolset that turns more and more miles into an inch each month. For once -- perhaps in the entire development process of LT -- I feel that I am living up to what you all expect of me. What a feeling. But more than that, it is the feeling that my dream is really, actually coming to life with alarming speed, right here on my screen. And that yes, it can actually be everything I wanted it to be.

There was a day when I would have been feeling piercing anxiety each time I look at the date and see "February 1" right now. A day when I would have been, in this moment, so completely caught up in the 'meta' that I would have no chance whatsoever of piercing through, grabbing off a piece of the vision, and stepping toward it, which is, of course, the only real solution to the angst. That day is gone :)

I hope you all can forgive me for this! If I seem distant, unconcerned, far...well, it's because I am :oops: Each day I live more and more inside LT, both as a game and a concept. Each day it becomes more tangible, more audible, more exceptional -- and, consequently, it becomes harder and harder to look away. It is especially hard to take things like concerns about the validity of an 8-day RTB cycle seriously. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean when I say that! It's just...I'm in the driver's seat right now, and I can see how this is working. I can see the effect. And I wouldn't change it for anything. Seriously. I'm just...I"m just not worried about this anymore, because I see that it's exactly as it should be :)

RTB is not abandoned -- anything but. I always say LTSL and the script engine have been my best decision throughout development. As of right now, RTB holds #2, after only three weeks. If the curve is indeed as magical as it appears to be, I think I'll be saying RTB was the best decision I made so far by the end of February :D

Limit Theory is really happening, folks :] You have trusted me this far. You have trusted me when I was less motivated, less capable, less responsible, less passionate, and less disciplined than what I am now. So now -- all you've got to do is hang on. Hang on, and I promise you won't be disappointed. This is it.

:) :wave:
<3

(I WILL write devlogs again SOON**!!)

(** Subject to JoshTime conversion quirks :ghost: :ghost: )
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Zanteogo, it looks like you may have been right about Josh teasing us :)

Thank you for the inspiring and passionate response Josh, I'm glad to hear that you aren't intentionally "neglecting" us. In the end, if asked to choose between regular updates with a good game and fewer updates with a great game, I would pick the latter in a heartbeat. I suppose I just miss reading (and seeing!) the development of LT on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, but hey, if things are really going as well as you say they are, I'd be satisfied in waiting for the right time for you to tell us what you have done for LT during RTB.

Just please, don't keep us waiting for too long. I don't think I could handle the hype :lol:

You are right to be as unconcerned as you want to be, Josh. Do what you have to do to meet whatever deadlines you have - just please (and I'm speaking for myself here) can you take more care in sharing them? You may not be concered, but it's kinda influencing confidence in whether or not you're able to meet deadlines at all, at least on my part.

Disclaimer which may or may not be getting increasingly necessary: I really, really hope no one thinks I'm speaking for them out of turn here. This is entirely my opinion, which I share here as a forum member, and I do not consider Josh obliged in any way to care what I think.

JoshParnell wrote:RTB is not abandoned -- anything but. I always say LTSL and the script engine have been my best decision throughout development. As of right now, RTB holds #2, after only three weeks. If the curve is indeed as magical as it appears to be, I think I'll be saying RTB was the best decision I made so far by the end of February :D
Ah. So "Road to Beta" is pretty much entirely equivalent to "code in LTSL" and does not actually contain any "and keep the faithful updated roughly weekly on my progress" as I thought it did.

This is useful for setting expectations. Thanks! (I'm not being sarcastic here. I sincerely appreciate clarity.)
JoshParnell wrote:Limit Theory is really happening, folks :] You have trusted me this far. You have trusted me when I was less motivated, less capable, less responsible, less passionate, and less disciplined than what I am now. So now -- all you've got to do is hang on. Hang on, and I promise you won't be disappointed. This is it.
Sure. There's not much alternative. :D

There is another side to this that's maybe worth adding. Some of us have been here since the Kickstarter, through all the ups and downs, the happy moments and the frustrating ones. We've been able to contribute in various ways to the conversations in this forum because we always had some idea of what was happening, even if sometimes it was just swapping opinions on a nebulous concept not even directly related to LT.

With no daily devlog, and the "weekly" part of RTB now seeming to have no meaning, there's not much more we can do here. It's pretty much like most other forums for games in development. Trust is all we can give you.

You certainly don't owe us any communication, regardless of comments in a Kickstarter update. I was spoiled by daily devlogs, but switching to radio silence is no worse than any other game, so I can't complain about that. If the devlogs come back, great; if not, OK.

I guess I'll be back when there's something tangible to talk about.

Kambalo wrote:Gosh I thought for a moment that Josh will say that he found a girlfriend and that cure his anxiety LOL :lol: :lol:
That is a thing that happens? people are cured of their anxieties when they find themselves in a new relationship? Man, I've been doing this all wrong my whole life. ;)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now