Return to “General”

Re: The RTB discussion thread

TGS wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Space Dandy wrote:Looks good I really like the ability to move th UI around, I just hope we will be able to RESIZE the UI too.
Who can look at pictures is at an advantage...

Josh resized half the elements in his example change...
Yeah I believe he mentioned shift dragging being the method to resize elements.
Yup:
My Signature

This gives me hope for custom widgets written from a LTSL editor within LT itself!
Meaning it would be possible to make a list of all stations in system buying the goods in your cargo hold, the best prices they buy for, and the volume they are buying!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Hearing Josh talk about things getting complex in the last video and all the posts about the release date moving and mentions of pressure and so on, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to start or even precede the beta with a "break this game" / "break the modded game" - type of event.

You know, something where people try the ridiculous things possible in a game this flexible. Maximum size ships on transport nodes (or if there is no maximum, ships like scaled up to the size of a solar system). One million ships. One million prolonged laser beam shots. Stations the size of a fingernail. Scripting transport nodes to move around (who knows, maybe players can place or move them in the regular game, too) while ships are on them.

Knowing some bugs and limitations in the extreme typically turns up also quite many serious bugs and makes dates for a sensible release far more solid. Josh might save some time spent with finding / fixing bugs while people have a bit of fun with the engine.

On the downside, it'd be quite pointless if Josh didn't have a bit of time to process the feedback and test cases that are contributed.

PS: Why an event specifically? Because developer time. If it's *all* the beta long rather than, say, a weekend reserved for sifting through what people said and easy fixes, feedback will probably sap a lot of time right out of the one man team that is Josh. If you ever have experienced that you'll feel the pressure to be really feature complete by beta, which is also not really good. Just my 5 cents of dev / QA experience, though.

Flatfingers wrote:Also bear in mind that widgets can (last I heard) send messages to each other.

I can't wait to see what "play the game for you" uses people put that to....
Somehow, I hope someone creates an LT Turing test. :lol:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

TGS wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Space Dandy wrote:Looks good I really like the ability to move th UI around, I just hope we will be able to RESIZE the UI too.
Who can look at pictures is at an advantage...

Josh resized half the elements in his example change...
Yeah I believe he mentioned shift dragging being the method to resize elements.
Bless your hearts!

I hadn't noticed at 3 or 4 am in the morn when I skimmed through the kickerstart page, ty for pointing it out so nicely.

Color me a tad underwhelmed with week 2. the new things in the UI are nice but I was hoping for more gameplay content... circles, squares, hexagons, whatever, shouldn't bigger features like a messaging system or construction be a higher priority than UI version 0.8.2.16?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:Color me a tad underwhelmed with week 2. the new things in the UI are nice but I was hoping for more gameplay content... circles, squares, hexagons, whatever, shouldn't bigger features like a messaging system or construction be a higher priority than UI version 0.8.2.16?
Cargo and asset management? Also, it's a bit hard to show implemented systems if there's no ui for them.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Color me a tad underwhelmed with week 2. the new things in the UI are nice but I was hoping for more gameplay content... circles, squares, hexagons, whatever, shouldn't bigger features like a messaging system or construction be a higher priority than UI version 0.8.2.16?
Cargo and asset management? Also, it's a bit hard to show implemented systems if there's no ui for them.
I agree. Creating a functional UI for every parts of the game that are already implemented seems quite a priority.
Implementing game systems is important but if there is still no way to interact with it ... there is no gameplay at all :ghost:

I agree that the RTB process is proving pretty good so far. It's really nice to see, in the words of Josh, that "yes, this is a tangible step to having a proper game". However, I'm concerned that these updates seem to be taking more and more time. One poster already mentioned the "salami effect", where 8 days is seen as almost as good as 7, then 9 almost as good as 8, and so on. Keeping to a strict 7 day cycle would really drive home the message that RTB is about steady and significant updates, not perfectionism and massive features (even though Josh is good at providing both :) ).

Online Now