Return to “General”

Post

Separate Forums Post-Release?

#1
Regarding new players having crazy, wild, and uninformed opinions on the forum:

Why not make a Backers/Pre-Release Moral Support forum for all of those who registered before a certain date? I'm not a backer, per se, but I'd like to think I'm a bit more than the average fare of space gamer out there :)

Planetary Annihilation did this quite early, and it's working out *okay* after release. Mostly because they didn't police it too much and forgot to lock it to just backers XD


I'm sure the KS backers already have a forum like this, but why not us so we can express our unfiltered but better opinions in peace after release/beta?
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#2
Mered4 wrote:Regarding new players having crazy, wild, and uninformed opinions on the forum:
I haven't seen too much of that going on, or do you mean the onslaught of new members once LT goes retail?
Mered4 wrote:Why not make a Backers/Pre-Release Moral Support forum for all of those who registered before a certain date? I'm not a backer, per se, but I'd like to think I'm a bit more than the average fare of space gamer out there :)

Planetary Annihilation did this quite early, and it's working out *okay* after release. Mostly because they didn't police it too much and forgot to lock it to just backers XD


I'm sure the KS backers already have a forum like this, but why not us so we can express our unfiltered but better opinions in peace after release/beta?


Personally I don't like this idea, we are one community irrelevant of whether people backed or not. There are many very vocal posters here already who missed the KS. That doesn't mean their, or your, opinions are not valid or welcome. Post away ... just follow forum rules and try to search for existing topics before posting same again - usual stuff. :thumbup: :wave:
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#4
there were multiple times where this has come up

My personal view is:

All of the pre-release forum members (we) get a "lounge" subforum free from the loud masses of new people.

New people dont get access to this lounge until they have proven not to make problems or default not to the "im anonymous on the internet so i can be a dick".

A place where we can continue our peaceful and mannered culture, and dont devolve into the usual internet forum bog.
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#5
Cornflakes_91 wrote:there were multiple times where this has come up

My personal view is:

All of the pre-release forum members (we) get a "lounge" subforum free from the loud masses of new people.

New people dont get access to this lounge until they have proven not to make problems or default not to the "im anonymous on the internet so i can be a dick".

A place where we can continue our peaceful and mannered culture, and dont devolve into the usual internet forum bog.
Seconded.
Mistycica wrote:^ this.
No need to go elitist over how much people spent and if they were at the right place at the right time. Non-backers are valuable people, and newbies can learn, and it's our responsibility to set them straight if they blunder. I believe even betatest feedback is going to be public, like LTP was.
I think he was suggesting people who registered before a certain date (probably release) would get their own forum, regardless of if/ how much they contributed.
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#6
It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd LT attracts when it gets released. The forums are a great place to hang out and chill but once you get a full release it could get very busy and how do you handle that. The mods are volunteers and it's a big job to keep everything in order particularly when you get numerous threads starting up in the same topics over and over again.

One way to deal with it all is to have a really good and visible FAQ section. Also it's worth remembering that it can be intimidating coming to a forum for the first time and asking questions but this forum seems to be a nice polite place. It's always better to point someone politely in the right direction than to immediately jump on them and shout "n0ob!" at them.
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#7
Cornflakes_91 wrote:there were multiple times where this has come up

My personal view is:

All of the pre-release forum members (we) get a "lounge" subforum free from the loud masses of new people.

New people dont get access to this lounge until they have proven not to make problems or default not to the "im anonymous on the internet so i can be a dick".

A place where we can continue our peaceful and mannered culture, and dont devolve into the usual internet forum bog.
This. Though we're always welcoming to new members, I don't want to lose connection with all these wonderful people in the noise of the new mass of forum members after release.
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#8
Sebby McWester wrote:I think he was suggesting people who registered before a certain date (probably release) would get their own forum, regardless of if/ how much they contributed.
Well I'm glad you said release (I already missed the KS - I don't want to miss out yet again!) :wink:

Part of me likes the idea of a "quiet little corner" - but most of me thinks that just dealing with undesirables with the normal forum policies would achieve the same thing in the long run.

I like it here - I've read topics for a while, but only just registered. I like the fact that there are lots of sub-forums where I can find little nuggets of discussion and I don't want to see that change too much. I like how reasonable people are for the most part - to perpetuate a xenophobic myth - it's like I've wandered into Canada :mrgreen:

Thankfully I can be reasonable too :P
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#9
Cornflakes_91 wrote:there were multiple times where this has come up

My personal view is:

All of the pre-release forum members (we) get a "lounge" subforum free from the loud masses of new people.

New people dont get access to this lounge until they have proven not to make problems or default not to the "im anonymous on the internet so i can be a dick".

A place where we can continue our peaceful and mannered culture, and dont devolve into the usual internet forum bog.
This is what I was going for, but I sounded all elitist :D :monkey: :squirrel:
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#13
Spoiler:      SHOW
[Drama]
Yes, but it's delicious gore; I like to ooze the blood-red paste onto flesh-dogs transplanted into amputated buns made of wheat-meat, and then I sink my teeth into them like some kind of fiend, gnawing away viciously so that I may swallow them to make their meat part of my own.
[/Drama]
Post

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#15
Now I know what the poster last week was talking about when he said the forum was realy cliquey.

The last page of posts is so unwelcoming to new posters or new fans of this game, its ridiculous. Why would you guys get some special area to talk that others cant go to? Because you liked something for x amount of time longer than someone else? How exactly does that make your ideas as one poster said "better" than others?

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron