Return to “General”

The December, 2014 Devlog Discussion

So, it's the 3rd (and final?) December of LT development. Very cute first baby picture, interesting to note that it is of a planet surface and not of space. :think:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: The December, 2014 Devlog Discussion

JFSOCC wrote:If he doesn't already have enough for an hour update I would be surprised.
What he already has? Rails, new UI for market, ltsl font, visual and sound enhancement... and thats it?
LT is missing so many gameplay mechanics right now that all optimism about update outgoing from community looks almost inappropriate. Especially in terms of "early 2015" release date. And I 100% sure, market UI will be rewritten at least one more time.

What I would like to see is actual gameplay: interaction with AI, interaction with colonies, AI-to-AI interaction, exploring, data market, fleet management, faction management, colonies management, faction "projects", diplomacy, colision model, crafting, buildings generator, different resources, etc. It's not even a full list of missing aspects of the game.

So you still waiting for another UI? Alrighty then.

SixTwo wrote:
JFSOCC wrote:If he doesn't already have enough for an hour update I would be surprised.
What he already has? Rails, new UI for market, ltsl font, visual and sound enhancement... and thats it?
LT is missing so many gameplay mechanics right now that all optimism about update outgoing from community looks almost inappropriate. Especially in terms of "early 2015" release date. And I 100% sure, market UI will be rewritten at least one more time.

What I would like to see is actual gameplay: interaction with AI, interaction with colonies, AI-to-AI interaction, exploring, data market, fleet management, faction management, colonies management, faction "projects", diplomacy, colision model, crafting, buildings generator, different resources, etc. It's not even a full list of missing aspects of the game.

This.
Lost faith.

SixTwo wrote:

Just remember, Josh's devlogs are only indicative of what he's found interesting that day. He does a lot of work that never gets a mention in the dev-logs.

For example:
[color=#FF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:
blacktea wrote:You a right, but this is not my point... We had it working already, in the last few Updates. Probably not perfect, but... How about Pilots, Crew and Cargo management? The whole research System? Honestly, this will be the first thing, i will be working on, as a modder, when some usable version of the game becomes aviable to me. Because i want to shape this game, how my own perfect game should be. Just like you Josh. Just want to point things out, which i see most important :) Dont realy know, if i am alone in this..
It's interesting -- as much flak as I get for "stop working on UI," the truth is that there is a lot more game implemented than you guys get to see in any given update video, precisely because of the fact that UI is not complete for all of those elements.

Research, production, assembly chips, cargo, hardpoints, power distribution, formations, factions, missions, market orders, player stats, drones (currently just prospecting), even crew (!) are implemented in the game currently. It's pretty staggering how much stuff actually exists in there :shock: Some of them need polishing, of course, but the main thing that they need is exposure to the player via the UI (and, to some extent, exposure to the AI via AI behaviors). Without that exposure, it's as though they don't exist.

So this is why I spend so much time on UI. Also, it's why I spent so much time on warp rails this month -- this was one of the core mechanics that simply didn't work well. After that, probably the most important mechanic that doesn't exist is construction. I hope to tackle this one very soon :)
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Sevron wrote:
SixTwo wrote:

This.
Despite us not really seeing everything that's going on in each update, still this.
Grumblesaur wrote:we're going to need
Kvallning wrote:to get beyond Thunderdome
The Four Word Story Thread|IRC Needs You!|Game FAQ
There is NO PREORDER OR DONATION POSSIBILITY
In Josh we trust.

SixTwo wrote:Thanks for this quote, Just_Ice_au. Good to know that I'm wrong in my understanding of LT development progress.

However, if all this stuff implemented, why not to show it to us? Especially when people in threads are going crazy? It could calm down hot heads like me.
Because he doesn't have the UI capabilities to do so. :roll:
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

Sevron wrote:
SixTwo wrote:

This.

Agreed. I just want to see the game being played. There honestly doesn't even need to be comentary... I just want to see what its like to play it which will give a good idea of if it will be fun or not.

Remember that he's one guy. He's doing an outstanding job for a one-man team, and I'm quite certain that the final pieces of the puzzle will begin to fall into place faster and faster as he goes along... He does need to make sure he stays focused, but that doesn't mean things aren't looking bright.

And remember also that actual gameplay would be a very, very long update... but it would be nice if he'd let us know how much of the game is playable at this point, just to satisfy our curiosity. Then again... if he caved in to our demands now, where would it end? :ghost:

Wow, I ninja'd Josh. :D Cool beans.
Last edited by Talvieno on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

General observed sentiment: I really want to play this fucking game now.
Josh's general sentiment: I really want to finish this fucking game now.

Relax gentlemen. We're all on the same page here :lol:
SixTwo wrote:Thanks for this quote, Just_Ice_au. Good to know that I'm wrong in my understanding of LT development progress.

However, if all this stuff implemented, why not to show it to us? Especially when people in threads are going crazy? It could calm down hot heads like me.
As Basmannen said, mostly because UI content is not there yet. Hence the fixation on market UI -- it's the first big push into bringing the game to the surface under the finalized UI. Again, please note the difference between UI tech and content. This month had very little to do with the former!

Also, SixTwo, you might be interested in reviewing some of the previous dev updates. A good bit of what you described has been shown (in previous UI / tech states) in older videos. Crafting, fleet management, basic project mechanism, prospecting resources, etc. Also please note that faction management and colony management are part of the post-release updates, as per the stretch goals (faction ownership / planet ownership).

And the rest? It's coming ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

That's what I'll be doing when the game actually comes out: gameplay vids. It'll obviously be too late for the LT forum crowd, but it's exactly what will sell the game to a few thousand more players.

Edit: this was replying to cfhd. Looks like there have been a couple new replies.
Spacecredentials: looks at stars sometimes, cheated at X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, killed a titan once.

Talvieno wrote:Remember that he's one guy. He's doing an outstanding job for a one-man team
I know, but the lack of information makes me thinking that Josh doesn't have the vision and he jumps between different development stages spending time on something that doesn't have backend support or interaction with other gameplay mechanics. But now we are proven that its not true, so ok then. :)
JoshParnell wrote:Also, SixTwo, you might be interested in reviewing some of the previous dev updates.
Things like fleet commands and tactical view have been there before LTSL. The fact that you don't cover them after LTSL-update makes people nervous: are they still there, have they been rewritten to LTSL, how do they look now after shift of UI-paradigm and so on.

Online Now