Return to “General”

Re: LT potential sales just rocketed overnight !

Zvanya wrote:I'm definitely concerned about the way Elite has been going lately.

It's being released too soon minus features that they lead us to believe would be implemented at launch.

The way they announced the removal of offline mode - waiting until this close to release when they clearly have known for some time it wouldn't happen. Although I'm pretty sure the idea of getting a refund based on that will go nowhere.

The language of recent communications. Blatant marketing bullshit. It's almost insulting.

Color me disappointed. I hope I'm wrong. There is a lot to like about what the game has so far.

No matter how good or bad Elite ends up being I'm still on board for LT. Hurry up Josh, I want to play.
elite came after star citizen's success and copied its marketing technique to a tee. it's very obvious from the start that they wanted to make a quick buck, including using braben like how citizens had roberts.

ed is like the arena shooter of the genre. it's nothing without a catchy gimmick and salescraft

SC is in the making since forever and will be at that a couple of years. That so many people is caught in such a dubious business model for so long is... interesting. But, in the end, if they don't deliver, the fall will be a blast and will do this Elite incident seems like a... well, peanuts.
Last edited by Lum on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:The Limit Theory Complex does not accept Commie mutant scum.

Zuikaku is here in the Limit Theory Complex.

Therefore Zuikaku is certainly not Commie mutant scum, and is welcome.

Ah, logic.
:shock: :o I'm Connie "scum" (not sure about mutant).

And so is Josh. *chuckle*
Connie? Or Commie? Big difference. ;)

It's another reference (following Gazz's) to the wonderful tabletop RPG Paranoia, in which an all-powerful Computer running a post-apocalyptic city is convinced that the lack of communication with other places is due to Communist influence. Or mutant sabotage. Or maybe both. Which players are encouraged to exploit for their personal benefit. (You can imagine how quickly a game of Paranoia devolves into a hosing-them-before-they-hose-you affair.)

"Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend." is a popular tagline from the game.

Limit Theory needs a tagline.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Connie? Or Commie? Big difference. ;)
Quite right, my friend. :thumbup: My bad. ;)

I couldn't make the connection. :angel:

Oh man, and here I thought it meant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW5fG8FGz4g

I blame my 11 year old daughter for it. I shouldn't have even known it existed. :mrgreen:
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

johncage wrote: elite came after star citizen's success and copied its marketing technique to a tee. it's very obvious from the start that they wanted to make a quick buck, including using braben like how citizens had roberts.

ed is like the arena shooter of the genre. it's nothing without a catchy gimmick and salescraft
I don't agree with any of that. I can't help but notice your anger.

I always loved the Wing Commander series for its story and combat sim stuff.. and Elite/Frontiers/etc for the trading and never for the combat. I'm backing SC for Squadron 42 mainly but also for the combat sim.. I just hope they don't get too sidetracked with all the other sub-genres they are including in the game.. I've really no interest in FPS within SC... they're wasting a lot of resources on that in my opinion. Sure.. have the ability to land on a station or planet's colony zone, get out and maybe get into a shooting match over a trade gone bad.. but that's not what they are doing.. it's like they're attempting to create Mass Effect in MMO form.. and I'm just not sure how that's going to go down..

Flatfingers wrote: It's another reference (following Gazz's) to the wonderful tabletop RPG Paranoia, in which an all-powerful Computer running a post-apocalyptic city is convinced that the lack of communication with other places is due to Communist influence. Or mutant sabotage. Or maybe both. Which players are encouraged to exploit for their personal benefit. (You can imagine how quickly a game of Paranoia devolves into a hosing-them-before-they-hose-you affair.)
Citizen, you where accused and found guilty of betrayal against our beloved friend the computer, you can add the names of other commie traitors in the bottomline of your printed termination form. Since this is your second violation of trust, your security level has been classified to green again and one of your clones has been send to educational ceremonies into the white sector.

Do you feel happy? (Dont forget to visit a medical counter to obtain your ration of "smile-o-smile" tablets before you head on to the termination center.)

P.S.: If you read this and you have a clone number above 3 destroy this letter at once and dont report to the termination center.

P.P.S.: If you read this you disobeyd a direct order from our beloved computer, please report to the termination center at once.

P.P.P.S.: If you read this and you have a clone number above 4 destroy this letter at once and dont report to the termination center.

Have a nice day.
Was not there.

The FPS element of SC worries me especially with the perma death/damage system they have planned. It seems like the combination of those things will not just combine but multiply the griefing that happens in MMOs and in online FPS. My current plan for SC is to play through Squadron 42 if it is cheap enough and never so much as look at the multiplayer. The possible exception being if any of my friends starts up a private server (if that actually becomes possible)

I have wanted to play Paranoia forever but haven't been able to put together a group. Book is also kind of hard to find last time I checked.

I have no idea how Paranoia came up but I'm so pleased c: Ran a short one-off a few weeks ago, it was popular as all hell. Players naturally fucking each other over is the best damn sight :D

I'm really anticipating SC to be a big hit. Certainly can't really imagine people running around, randomly popping one into your head, that's just gonna be far too inconvenient for the griefer, but time and beta will tell. I like giving my games (and their players) the benefit of a doubt ;)
panic

Makes me even more happy I backed LT - The ED thing has really annoyed me - I backed it for the same reasons as LT, but its nice to know LT is being well optimised and DRM free.
Looking forward to trying the new build and kinda softens the blow - Frontier doing this was a bit underhanded IMO, it was explicitly sold on this point as one of its functionalities.
fraggdya's list of unreasonable demands!
1. I would like a tannoy in my ship that plays 'Ride of the Valkyries' on repeat.
2. A replica of the Icarus II ship
3. A shrubbery

Online Now