Return to “General”

Re: The November 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

QuestionableAntics wrote:Hello Limit Theorians! I've been lurking this game since back when it was a Kickstarter. I must say that I have rarely seen a community so completely positive and engaged in its topic and I would like to thank you all for all of the interesting ideas, conversations, and wit displayed~

This game is one of two projects that I follow almost religiously (the other being the development of the Oculus Rift) and with Josh's latest statement (what with the potential modding in of cockpits) and one of his original hopes from back in the Kickstarter (support for the Rift, though I understand this was at no point guaranteed), I was wondering how feasible it would be to integrate support for its usage into a viewpoint from the cockpit.
Heyaa, QuestionableAntics!! Such a polite individual is most certainly welcome in this community! :clap: I hope you stick around and enjoy your stay. :) Oculus Rift is something many of us here are excited about as well.

And, as far as feasibility goes? Absolutely feasible, but it would likely be a cockpit mock-up and not a view from the actual inside of the ship at first, I would assume - which is fine, because that's what many flying simulators do anyway. As so much of the game is in external scripts, it's possible we'll eventually have mods that provide walkable interiors to an extent - but that's up for debate and hard to say for sure. It'll be a mod, though - but we have a very large number of talented programmers here who are just aching to get their hands on LTSL. Cockpits are almost assuredly going to happen. :)

I just got double ninja'd. :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

[color=#BF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:within the game update loop, using a custom object built in LTSL, we are able to render an interface (with whatever widgets, text, icons, etc. you want) to a texture for later use
While I don't think this is the most important thing, it's interesting enough that even I am moved to say, "Cool." 8-)

That said... fighting with a UI library to persuade it to display things where you want, when you want, the way you want, is frustratingly tedious in a normal game.

I can't even imagine having to do all that fighting PLUS make it work on a texture in the game itself. That seems like an extra difficulty factor that I absolutely would not even consider taking on if it works like it does in other game development environments.

Which means I'm hoping that the way textures are handled in LT/LTSL is that to some extent they know how to paint themselves regardless of what's layered on top of them. If I have to rewrite the texture handing to not let UI elements "stick out," I'm going to give up and go work on something else instead.

Please understand that this is not a knock of any kind on Josh. This exasperation I'm expressing comes from trying to write a game only to find myself fighting for hours or even days to get the interface to do something that seems like it should be trivial, rather than spending that precious time creating lovely content and satisfying mechanics and deeply engaging dynamics.

For all the UI power that Josh just described, I'm really hoping that using that power won't be so painful as in other game development environments.

If we can render a camera's view to a texture too, then active camouflage can actually be part of the ship's model.
Or we could just do a transparent shader... but that's too easy.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Rabiator wrote:Cockpits.

That implies windows and a position on the hull that makes sense. EDIT: In procedurally generated ships.

Interesting challenge :think: .
not necessary, you could imagine an isolated cockpit at the core of the ship with camera outside of the ship streaming the view. I guess that would make more sense for combat ship to not expose such a weak point. on the other hand cockpit are cooler I guess.

Space Dandy wrote:I am rather new here so sorry if this has been talked/asked about before but will there be a cockpit view at some point like in ED or SC?

I plan on getting a consumer version of the oculus rift and the two go very well together.
This thread is your friend: Game FAQ
Within lie the secrets of the universe. :)

Short answer, no. The Walkable Interiors goal wasn't met by the Kickstarter funding, sadly. So, not in vanilla, but very possible in a mod. Unlike Braben, Josh doesn't care a thing about keeping his secrets safe - in fact, almost the entire game is exposed to LTSL - Limit Theory Scripting Language (yeah, Josh wrote his own scripting language). Shaders, models, UI, structure, system layout, AI, engine details - almost everything is moddable and easily accessible to the general public, provided you've bought the game. :) If you can dream it up, and a computer can handle it, then there's a good chance it's possible.

I can't say the mod would be as pretty as E:D, though... Nor can I say that LT will be as pretty as E:D, but remember that you're looking at a project made by one man - a one man army, maybe, but he's still human like the rest of us. (Whether he's really a mere mortal is up for debate, though.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Space Dandy wrote:I am rather new here so sorry if this has been talked/asked about before but will there be a cockpit view at some point like in ED or SC?

I plan on getting a consumer version of the oculus rift and the two go very well together.
This thread is your friend: Game FAQ
Within lie the secrets of the universe. :)

Short answer, no. The Walkable Interiors goal wasn't met by the Kickstarter funding, sadly. So, not in vanilla, but very possible in a mod. Unlike Braben, Josh doesn't care a thing about keeping his secrets safe - in fact, almost the entire game is exposed to LTSL - Limit Theory Scripting Language (yeah, Josh wrote his own scripting language). Shaders, models, UI, structure, system layout, AI, engine details - almost everything is moddable and easily accessible to the general public, provided you've bought the game. :) If you can dream it up, and a computer can handle it, then there's a good chance it's possible.

I can't say the mod would be as pretty as E:D, though... Nor can I say that LT will be as pretty as E:D, but remember that you're looking at a project made by one man - a one man army, maybe, but he's still human like the rest of us. (Whether he's really a mere mortal is up for debate, though.)
Yes I see Josh has a O.R. dev kit yay!

About the cockpits I was just looking more for a "from inside the ship view" as I fly around, I do not care if the instruments do not work and I cannot walk around inside the ship. :)
Last edited by Space Dandy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*Begins work on creating a conceptual framework for procedural cockpits in the spirit of pareidolic icons*

I will post a thread when I am happy with the concepts. But again it's going to all be about visual illusions and trickery. :twisted:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Yes...we are all very polite here. Which is why when Cornflakes comes around and asks for your assistance...it is not for a secret forbidden blood ritual that forever binds you to our forums. It is definitely for an ice cream social. What kind of ice cream will be there? More like what kind WON'T be there...yes...that's right. Toppings? Well, I don't mean to brag but...you'll have to wait and see.

The tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife. AND EAT IT.
Image PS - Cockpit mod spam within a week of release.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Online Now