Return to “General”

Re: Features in Limit Theory

Yep!

Also, some more features if you guys/gals (can never know with the internet) can indulge me with answers:

21) Will larger capital ships have drawn out explosions (like those in Tachyon: The Fringe) or blow up at about the same speed as smaller ships?

22) Will larger capital ships have massive explosions with shockwaves (due to the size of their reactors going critical; ie a Warp Core Containment Breach of a larger ship) or just go "poof"

23) Will larger capital ships produce debris fields when destroyed, possibly with large enough chunks that a smaller ship could hide behind for cover?

24) Can asteroids be destroyed?

25) Will there be a ship technology that will allow us to "phase" through solid objects for a short period of time? (ie "noclipping")

26) Will there be EMP / Ion-based weaponry designed for disabling ships or starbases for a limited amount of time?

27) Will there be a complex targetting system implemented (such as the one in Tachyon: The Fringe) that tells the player where to guide their shots so that they hit the target?

28) Will smaller ships blow up if you collide them with each other if of the same size?

29) Will capital ships blow up if you collide them with other capital ships? Would smaller ship collisions destroy a capital ship?

30) Is there a "hard limit" on the number of hardpoints a ship can have? Can you upgrade an existing ship to have more hardpoints?

From what i know:

Drawn out explosions: yes

Shockwaves: i think so

the engine possibilities are there, but not used afaik
But its likely that all ships can produce wrecks

currently are asteroids indestructible, this may or may not changes until release

phasing: unlikely, no pegasus project phase cloak

emp: nobody knows, i'd hope so

"Complex" targetting system *giggle*
That was in the game since the LTP (may 13)

ships will get damaged by collisions and can blow up due to the damage

No hard limit at the moment
likely no upgrades for more hardpoints, if you want a ship with more hardpoints, develop one

Doomknight wrote:21) Will larger capital ships have drawn out explosions (like those in Tachyon: The Fringe) or blow up at about the same speed as smaller ships?
Josh has stated multiple times that he would like to rework explosions... I think he mentioned it in one of the dev logs...
Doomknight wrote:22) Will larger capital ships have massive explosions with shockwaves (due to the size of their reactors going critical; ie a Warp Core Containment Breach of a larger ship) or just go "poof"
Explosions. I'm sure they will have a shockwave particle effect, but I'm not sure if they will damage anything in the immediate area... maybe?
Doomknight wrote:23) Will larger capital ships produce debris fields when destroyed, possibly with large enough chunks that a smaller ship could hide behind for cover?
Yes. Evidenced by the dev logs.
Doomknight wrote:24) Can asteroids be destroyed?
I want to say Yes, but something is holding me back from confirming dynamic asteroids...
Doomknight wrote:25) Will there be a ship technology that will allow us to "phase" through solid objects for a short period of time? (ie "noclipping")
Same as above. Probably researchable tech that will get better with time.
Doomknight wrote:26) Will there be EMP / Ion-based weaponry designed for disabling ships or starbases for a limited amount of time?
Maybe? Same as above.
Doomknight wrote:27) Will there be a complex targetting system implemented (such as the one in Tachyon: The Fringe) that tells the player where to guide their shots so that they hit the target?
I outright don't know. My gut says maybe yes.
Doomknight wrote:28) Will smaller ships blow up if you collide them with each other if of the same size?
But of course! It only makes sense that collisions will damage your ship. It's just logic.
Doomknight wrote:29) Will capital ships blow up if you collide them with other capital ships? Would smaller ship collisions destroy a capital ship?
Same as above.
Doomknight wrote:30) Is there a "hard limit" on the number of hardpoints a ship can have? Can you upgrade an existing ship to have more hardpoints?
I think that is classified as upgrading to a bigger ship.
Josh has expressed his interest in making ships as big as the engine can handle them without breaking physics.
Lurker Mode: DEACTIVATED
The most intriguing fact about imagination is that its all in your head.

Okay thanks again for replies (bit tired atm so can't think straight so I'll return tomorrow with more questions).

I asked about the targeting system because I haven't noticed in any of the Dev Logs where there was a complex targeting solution. Yes it shows the direction of the dot on the targeting indicator, but it doesn't (afaik) show where you fire your shots (ie tells you what distance via another dot) to hit a fast moving target. It also hasn't shown that if you are within range for your missiles to get a target lock (or if missiles always target lock irrespective of distance; I'd assume not, but its a worthy question).

(Not sure on the rules for Double Posting, so if its discouraged please forgive me; I read the Forum Rules and it isn't listed there)

Additional Questions on Features:

31) Will there be Jump Inhibitors in systems that would prevent ships from Jumping/Warping out of the system, so in a battle situation it would mean that the enemy would not be able to flee from the system, but allied ships could. (something like how Sins of the Solar Empire does, which is a planetary structure that prevents ships from leaving until the Jump Inhibitor is destroyed; great for setting up ambushes that your opponent cannot flee from)?

32) Can you destroy Warp Tunnels / Warp Gates / Gates for Travel Lanes? (Why would you want to do this? Reasoning = To cut a system off from potential reinforcements if attacking it, to destroy a planet by destroying its economy [ie Trade Embargo], or because you can)

33) Do only smaller ships need to use Warp Tunnels / Warp Gates / Gates for Travel Lanes? (ie somewhat like how Tachyon: The Fringe does it where larger ships can jump to systems without the Tachyon Gate while smaller ships require it)

34) Will we ever find (as a rare occurrence) of a planet sharing its atmosphere with another planet or moon?

35) Will we ever get to watch a star go Supernova?

36) Will we be able to find systems without stars in them? (ie Maybe a system that is simply one big nebula or a system with a few planets but no star because the star went supernova and is now gone)

37) Will ships have regenerating shields?

38) Will ships have regenerating armor or will they need to visit a station to get repairs done?

39) Can stars produce Solar Flares?

40) Will we be able to encounter two AI empires clashing on a field of battle? (ie neither empire controlled by you)

All for now :) Appreciating the replies folks!

I LOVE THIS TRIVIA GAME. :D
Doomknight wrote: 31) Will there be Jump Inhibitors in systems that would prevent ships from Jumping/Warping out of the system, so in a battle situation it would mean that the enemy would not be able to flee from the system, but allied ships could. (something like how Sins of the Solar Empire does, which is a planetary structure that prevents ships from leaving until the Jump Inhibitor is destroyed; great for setting up ambushes that your opponent cannot flee from)?
I have no idea, but we're probably going to find out this month as Josh works on fleet management.
Doomknight wrote:32) Can you destroy Warp Tunnels / Warp Gates / Gates for Travel Lanes? (Why would you want to do this? Reasoning = To cut a system off from potential reinforcements if attacking it, to destroy a planet by destroying its economy [ie Trade Embargo], or because you can)
I still have no idea. I want to say Maybe leaning Yes.
Doomknight wrote:33) Do only smaller ships need to use Warp Tunnels / Warp Gates / Gates for Travel Lanes? (ie somewhat like how Tachyon: The Fringe does it where larger ships can jump to systems without the Tachyon Gate while smaller ships require it)
Small and Medium ships was the last one I saw. I'd imagine that bigger ships can use them.
Doomknight wrote:34) Will we ever find (as a rare occurrence) of a planet sharing its atmosphere with another planet or moon?
Statistically impossible.
Doomknight wrote:35) Will we ever get to watch a star go Supernova?
Probably not. :c
Doomknight wrote:36) Will we be able to find systems without stars in them? (ie Maybe a system that is simply one big nebula or a system with a few planets but no star because the star went supernova and is now gone)
It's possible... maybe?
Doomknight wrote:37) Will ships have regenerating shields?
Leaning Yes.
Doomknight wrote:38) Will ships have regenerating armor or will they need to visit a station to get repairs done?
A bit of both in regards to technology.
Doomknight wrote:39) Can stars produce Solar Flares?
Possibly not. If they do, I'd imagine it's purely for looks.
Doomknight wrote:40) Will we be able to encounter two AI empires clashing on a field of battle? (ie neither empire controlled by you)
YES. DEFINITELY. The AI can, and probably will, do anything the player can. So this will be happening as you play the game.
Lurker Mode: DEACTIVATED
The most intriguing fact about imagination is that its all in your head.

Doomknight wrote: 31) Will there be Jump Inhibitors in systems that would prevent ships from Jumping/Warping out of the system, so in a battle situation it would mean that the enemy would not be able to flee from the system, but allied ships could. (something like how Sins of the Solar Empire does, which is a planetary structure that prevents ships from leaving until the Jump Inhibitor is destroyed; great for setting up ambushes that your opponent cannot flee from)?
You can destroy the gates / discharge the wormholes to limit you enemies mobility, and if you are fast enough you could counter his charging wormhole with a discharger.

Big maybe on wormhole inhibitors, as jumpdrives will already be limited to open connections next to already existing ones (anywhere to wormhole)
Doomknight wrote: 32) Can you destroy Warp Tunnels / Warp Gates / Gates for Travel Lanes? (Why would you want to do this? Reasoning = To cut a system off from potential reinforcements if attacking it, to destroy a planet by destroying its economy [ie Trade Embargo], or because you can)
Why not? You can build them, you can destroy them
Doomknight wrote: 33) Do only smaller ships need to use Warp Tunnels / Warp Gates / Gates for Travel Lanes? (ie somewhat like how Tachyon: The Fringe does it where larger ships can jump to systems without the Tachyon Gate while smaller ships require it)
Interstellar it will be like in tachyon.
Warp lanes can be used, but you dont have to as star systems are continous.

Interstellar: gate/jumphole/jumpdrive
Interplanetar: as you please, any of the above + warp lanes + normal engines
Doomknight wrote: 34) Will we ever find (as a rare occurrence) of a planet sharing its atmosphere with another planet or moon?

35) Will we ever get to watch a star go Supernova?
Werent the 3 instances of "rare things are rare and will not be in the game until a considerable time after launch" not enough?
Doomknight wrote: 36) Will we be able to find systems without stars in them? (ie Maybe a system that is simply one big nebula or a system with a few planets but no star because the star went supernova and is now gone)

37) Will ships have regenerating shields?
Yes
Doomknight wrote: 38) Will ships have regenerating armor or will they need to visit a station to get repairs done?
Likely no regenerating armor, as you will be able to carry drones which repair your ship
Think of combat drones in x3 but with repair units
Doomknight wrote: 39) Can stars produce Solar Flares?
If yes, then likely only for show
Doomknight wrote: 40) Will we be able to encounter two AI empires clashing on a field of battle? (ie neither empire controlled by you)
Yes
Doomknight wrote: All for now :) Appreciating the replies folks!
You are tiring :P

@CornFlakes; Tiring in a good way or a bad way, that is the question XD.

Yes, its true that you did say that those other 3 were probably going to be rare occurrences. However, I haven't given an exhaustive list of all possible rarities one might find in space (from say watching Star Trek, Farscape, Star Wars, Andromeda, Red Dwarf and Firefly as references for those rarities), so I don't know what is going to be possibly a rare occurrence OR not be in the game at all... hence the extra questions. If I had an exhaustive list of yes or no(s) for rare occurrences then I wouldn't need to ask individual questions. Felt I should explain my reasoning.

I mention Solar Flares less because of the visual impact, but more the Electronic-System impact of being hit by a Solar Flare. I'd think that a Solar Flare would disable some ships, or some systems like the Scanner, if Solar Flares were a thing.

@HKY09

How is a planet sharing its atmosphere statistically impossible (particularly as the FULL laws of physics will not apply to things in Limit Theory)? I've seen examples in Star Trek and Mass Effect 2 (yes not great examples as both are games, but anyway) of planets sharing atmosphere with other planets. Alternatively, something like that done in that Voyager episode where a device was used to suck off all the water and atmosphere from a nearby planet and instead putting all the water and atmosphere around it, essentially creating an artificial water world.

@HKY09; What would it add gameplay wise? Maybe diversity in content, something cool to look at, something that you could brag about seeing firsthand (ie Encountering the Cow Level in Diablo 3). You could say the same argument could be applied to most things, including Nebulae. If you can't explore them (ie enter the Nebula) then all they add is a pretty backdrop. The same could be said here for planets sharing atmosphere; it makes a pretty unique look.

Online Now