Return to “General”

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

Victor, if I might be so bold, I think you're slightly missing the point. :) No offense intended, of course. He's finishing territories - this means you'll be able to pilot your ship deep into enemy turf, or overthrow the greedy corporations that are oppressing and enclosing a helpless colony, or stake out your own little spot for a mansion in a distant asteroid cluster.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:Victor, if I might be so bold, I think you're slightly missing the point. :) No offense intended, of course. He's finishing territories - this means you'll be able to pilot your ship deep into enemy turf, or overthrow the greedy corporations that are oppressing and enclosing a helpless colony, or stake out your own little spot for a mansion in a distant asteroid cluster.
No, I'm not missing the point, Talvieno. I can assure you of that. ;) And I see no offense in what you're saying. I didn't say anything about the rest of the dev log entry but fleet management, and that which is allied to it, leaves me cold. :angel: My lone wolf game will look on such things as of marginal interest. :angel: My ship will be my mansion. :thumbup:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Godz wrote:Not meaning to intrude victor but the fleet mechanics will also be very important to your imersion even playing as a lone wolf. Just watching the AI controling tens/hundreds of ships will be beautiful
And for me that is its only saving grace, Godz. :)
Was that intentional? 'Cause if it was, then you get all my respect. :lol:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

I'm generally a forum lurker and occasional IRC chatter, but I'm not very active, as you can see by my low post count. Anyway, today's dev log made me very excited and I just had to post something.

It has been a while since we've seen any significant development work focused on new game play mechanics... The last few months have been largely devoted to LTSL integration and UI improvements, which are quite important of course, but fleets (both PC and NPC) as well as zone/territory control are a welcome change of pace for me.

I imagine that this month's development work could easily snowball into work on more advanced small- and large-scale combat mechanics, which would be incredibly interesting to see. I'm especially interested to see how a combat AI testbed will allow for rapid iteration of fleet tactics algorithms. Hopefully Josh can start to experiment with the genetic programming / machine learning concepts that he has alluded to in earlier dev logs.

Flatfingers wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:Collision detection re-write.. say now, could this be a chance at opening up even larger fleet battles? :squirrel:
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, 512-ish ships flinging hot electric death at each other in a single system isn't enough for you?

Madness!
I remember once stating that Josh could get a million high-def ships to work with no lag on an Atari. :oops:

I was only joking. Feel free to take it as a challenge though. :shifty:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now