Return to “General”

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

I...I...I...Need a Tissue! :shifty: :D :D ;)

I do need to be careful to focus on the content that really matters to people.
:lol: Thats funny... You act as though these sorts of things aren't what we were looking for for months. You have an entire forum to mine, let alone your own imagination, let alone any number of creative projects to come by people not yet aware of the game after release that will inspire... and maybe even outdo you (just imagine what Neal Stephenson could do to inspire us!)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I love ALL of the things he mentioned... and very much want to see Josh's elegant versions of them in the future.

Especially:
devlog Josh wrote wrote: Limit Theory: Subverse (introduces special wormholes that descend into unstable, sub-universes with exotic starscapes, valuable new raw materials, and advanced alien technologies -- but that can collapse in the blink of an eye).
I'll be honest: I don't think anybody will be disappointed with any form of gameplay-extending content he implements. :P I just want to see where he goes with everything. LT should be fun without having to install mods... and I think Mr. Parnell is definitely headed in the right direction with that.

(And that standalone ship builder someone mentioned isn't a bad idea at all... besides the fact that it lets us start creating mods early.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

MyNameWuzTaken wrote:As Josh was listing concepts he wants to explore in the future relating to LT, I was throwing money at my screen and screaming "DLC!"
Sort of makes me wonder... if all this finds its way into LT 1 how will he outdo himself with LT 2?

I can already expect that Chemistry/refining, Hacking, Pocket Universes will be added because he just mentioned them, and those must be the top of his to-do list for any post-Kickstarter-goal addendums.

What sort of massive concepts could be added in beyond those?

Limit Theory: Seeds of Life (new classes of being in addition to ships and stations, creating ecosystems of flora and fauna in space)
Limit Theory: The Underground (Planets are similar to star systems, in that you can now travel and build beneath the surface, perhaps creating a massive subterranean civilization with the same sort of missions and structures and whatnot as above?)
Limit Theory: The Procedural Circus (Costumes, Festivals, Fireworks, oh my!)(This is actually an Idea I am developing, will make a thread later)
Limit Theory: The Commons (The virtual internet of LT, pareidolic avatars move throughout a dreamy matrix-like world that can serve as the prototype for morrowjosh, where business deals are made, missions are issued, assassinations are carried out, etc)
Limit Theory: The Birds and Bees (The simulation of life on a genetic level, where the various traits that define the AI and appearance of players and populations and flora and fauna can be built and customized through minigames and rapidly prototyped natural selection, maybe with gratuitous alien sex scenes :lol: )
Limit Theory: Artisanal Breadmaker (Where all objects in game, including cultural objects take on their own minigames to piece the components together, mix ingredients and change the preparation to create new objects with different qualities, etc)
Limit Theory: The Procedural Procedural (Professional detective agencies investigate the scenes of crimes in colonies or on stations and the player can be one of them; trace hackers, analyze the evidence for clues, field work in the stars, all to catch the bad guys... and maybe those who pulled the strings in the first place)
Limit Theory: The Gates of Heaven and Hell (Adds a religious element to the pocket universe idea, in that many players believe in this or that spiritual belief with corresponding procedural rituals. And every so often these Heavens and hells will open out into the main game and spread their way of life among the stars, just how good that is for anyone would vary)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

I see this journey of Josh's as a man walking at first in an open field slowly the landscape changes as he strolls along. Trees start to appear at first a few here and there then a few more. Now as the LTSL has become fully implemented I worry Josh will get lost in the forest of code. Focus becoming harder and harder. Going in tangents and straying in a forest of programer wonderment. November approaching swiftly the new year on the horizon of time. No bread crumbs can help for there is no going back. Content,widgets,U.I.'s,graphics,optimizations...laser focus to get through the forest ...allocating time in supreme fashion to make it through the dazzling forest. Time waits for no man. The best anyone can do is to use theirs wisely. :) I pray he makes it through. :D

Limit Theory: Ground War (adds the ability to attack large ships, stations and planets with infantry. Customize your infantries equipment just like your ships, and manage their training/skills. Also allows colonies to build defensive structures such as shields, ground to space weapons, infantry barracks, etc. allows for colony to colony combat. Establish a foothold in one colony and use it to conquer the rest of the planet if you want!)

MyNameWuzTaken wrote:Limit Theory: Ground War (adds the ability to attack large ships, stations and planets with infantry. Customize your infantries equipment just like your ships, and manage their training/skills. Also allows colonies to build defensive structures such as shields, ground to space weapons, infantry barracks, etc. allows for colony to colony combat. Establish a foothold in one colony and use it to conquer the rest of the planet if you want!)
Hell.. ya...
My Signature

[...] fixed a large memory leak today in imposter generation [...] memory leaks become very apparent when you're rapidly reloading a small subset of the game. If that subset is leaking any memory, it becomes very evident and can be killed with relative ease!
Memory leak crackdown.
Boom! Testbed method vindicated and then some, right there, with just that. :thumbup:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

[color=#FF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:3D Asset Testbed...Ships, stations, planets, wormholes, warp tunnels, asteroids, ice, giant mysterious space whales, you name it -- if it's a 3D asset that appears in the LT universe, we can get up-close and personal with it in a matter of seconds using the 3D asset testbed. We can also regenerate / reload it in the blink of an eye with our trusty F5 key.
I
Spoiler:      SHOW
Expect
You
To
Do
Better
Than
These!
Image Ok, actually I would be okay with this :lol:

:monkey:
Imagination Fertilizer

Online Now