Return to “General”

Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#77
Nice to see the return to these sorts of things in the game.


I am curious, will zone ownership and zone management be worked on now too? I would really like to see things like exclusive mining rights, restricted areas, de-militarized zones, Curtain zones, Spherical Star forts with hedgehog defense points to continue to pester an attacker and other stuff implemented. Other ideas are zone-scale orders to construct various pieces of infrastructure such as factories, warp lanes (intrazone & interzone), zone shields/defense platforms, mines, shipyards, storage facilities, trade hubs, dojos (training centers), data banks, generators/fuel depots (if those mechanics are in place) farms/renewables (again, if that mechanic is in place), Civilian structures. Your basic RTS stuff.


As to the fleet commands, I would really like to see things like Guerrilla tactics/insurgencies, counter-insurgencies, blockades, counter-offensives, Defense-in-depth, anabasis/katabasis (Fighting your way deep into enemy territory or fighting your way out from deep within enemy territory), false flags, and so on... I would like to sometimes see the pirates win, and become the new guys in charge of things (Where they don't just loot and pillage all they conquer, but settle in)
Image
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#78
Hyperion wrote:Nice to see the return to these sorts of things in the game.


I am curious, will zone ownership and zone management be worked on now too? I would really like to see things like exclusive mining rights, restricted areas, de-militarized zones, Curtain zones, Spherical Star forts with hedgehog defense points to continue to pester an attacker and other stuff implemented. Other ideas are zone-scale orders to construct various pieces of infrastructure such as factories, warp lanes (intrazone & interzone), zone shields/defense platforms, mines, shipyards, storage facilities, trade hubs, dojos (training centers), data banks, generators/fuel depots (if those mechanics are in place) farms/renewables (again, if that mechanic is in place), Civilian structures. Your basic RTS stuff.


As to the fleet commands, I would really like to see things like Guerrilla tactics/insurgencies, counter-insurgencies, blockades, counter-offensives, Defense-in-depth, anabasis/katabasis (Fighting your way deep into enemy territory or fighting your way out from deep within enemy territory), false flags, and so on... I would like to sometimes see the pirates win, and become the new guys in charge of things (Where they don't just loot and pillage all they conquer, but settle in)
Reading this, I am once again awed by the sheer amount of things to do when this game comes out. :crazy:
Last edited by Idunno on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#80
Scytale wrote:
Idunno wrote: the shear amount of things to do
You seem to be suffering from shear stress, might I suggest orienting yourself into a more normal situation?
You didn't see anything. :shifty: :shh: :silent:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#81
Flatfingers wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:Collision detection re-write.. say now, could this be a chance at opening up even larger fleet battles? :squirrel:
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, 512-ish ships flinging hot electric death at each other in a single system isn't enough for you?

Madness!
I think we'll see that now.

Why?

Because Josh is optimizing stuff to be future proofed. Even if technology now limits it to 256 ships, it means that once newer and faster processors come out, we'll be looking back at this game in 10 years time and be like "256? Try 256k!"
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#82
DWMagus wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:Collision detection re-write.. say now, could this be a chance at opening up even larger fleet battles? :squirrel:
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, 512-ish ships flinging hot electric death at each other in a single system isn't enough for you?

Madness!
I think we'll see that now.

Why?

Because Josh is optimizing stuff to be future proofed. Even if technology now limits it to 256 ships, it means that once newer and faster processors come out, we'll be looking back at this game in 10 years time and be like "256? Try 256k!"
I think you're overestimating technological advancement rate, I mean, there is a limit to how small we can make transistors before they share charge xP
Lurker Mode: DEACTIVATED
The most intriguing fact about imagination is that its all in your head.
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#83
HKY09 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, 512-ish ships flinging hot electric death at each other in a single system isn't enough for you?

Madness!
I think we'll see that now.

Why?

Because Josh is optimizing stuff to be future proofed. Even if technology now limits it to 256 ships, it means that once newer and faster processors come out, we'll be looking back at this game in 10 years time and be like "256? Try 256k!"
I think you're overestimating technological advancement rate, I mean, there is a limit to how small we can make transistors before they share charge xP
You're right. But Intel is figuring that out right now. Their Cannonlake architecture die size is small enough where the engineers have been quoted saying that quantum tunneling is the largest concern, but is still slated for a 2016 release. Considering Intel is also on track for their 7nm and 5nm architectures, I'm guessing they have an ace up their sleeves, otherwise we won't even see the 10nm.

I'm also confident in our technological advances.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#87
I'm of the opinion that space stations will not be viable defensive structures. It's all about fleets because they are mobile. With stations, just launch huge slugs of metal at them. You know where they are going to be in their orbit. Use a planets gravity to accelerate the slug further, and you have a station killer every time. Moves too quickly to shoot down. Ships can dodge but stations can't. A-la Swiss cheese station.
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#89
MyNameWuzTaken wrote:I'm of the opinion that space stations will not be viable defensive structures. It's all about fleets because they are mobile. With stations, just launch huge slugs of metal at them. You know where they are going to be in their orbit. Use a planets gravity to accelerate the slug further, and you have a station killer every time. Moves too quickly to shoot down. Ships can dodge but stations can't. A-la Swiss cheese station.
set it up atop a wormhole, everyone who wants to get through has to pass the station.

also there isnt any gravity in LT, so you cant weaponise it
Post

Re: The October 2014 Devlog Discussion Thread

#90
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
MyNameWuzTaken wrote:I'm of the opinion that space stations will not be viable defensive structures. It's all about fleets because they are mobile. With stations, just launch huge slugs of metal at them. You know where they are going to be in their orbit. Use a planets gravity to accelerate the slug further, and you have a station killer every time. Moves too quickly to shoot down. Ships can dodge but stations can't. A-la Swiss cheese station.
set it up atop a wormhole, everyone who wants to get through has to pass the station.

also there isnt any gravity in LT, so you cant weaponise it
Yeah I know a mechanic like that wouldn't be included. Wormholes yes, they would be helpful. Will gates be required to travel between systems in LT?

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron