Return to “General”

Re: So, Scott Manley has Taken and Interest but...

I should have explained myself better. I was trying to say that it wouldn't hurt to get back to some of the people who are interested and let them know the timeline. I don't know when Josh would allow access for this sort of thing but I know that if I were Scott it would be nice to at least hear back from the dev. I know Josh is very busy, especially around the end of the month, but I wanted to put something up in case he didn't see it or it slipped his mind.

Scott doesn't seem to follow Mr. Parnell's busy schedule. If we could get him over to the forums, we could explain it to him a lot better... Twitter is too brief and using YouTube as a messaging service is extremely unreliable because there's no guarantee he'll see what you write.

I agree, though. Josh has a good deal of respect for Mr. Manley, from what I understand, so it seems likely it simply slipped his mind. Getting the two to talk to each other for a bit would be awesome.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Josh pulls his infamous silent treatment... apparently, even victor, a man who gave him more than my yearly disposable income, struggles to get a peep out of him. Scott might just get his reply in the form of a download link... er... actually LT will probably be so small it can be an email attachment.

Dear manely Manley,

Here you go.

XOXO,
Josh
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Talvieno wrote:Relevant thread. Scott Manley is going to get beta access, word of Josh. Someone should notify them both. :P Getting the game to Scott Manley would bring a huge boost in free advertisement.
Why do people keep assuming that Josh needs advertisement? Especially before the game is finished?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hyperion wrote:Josh pulls his infamous silent treatment... apparently, even victor... struggles to get a peep out of him.
:lol: I'm glad you've noticed, Hyperion. :thumbup:

He's not the easiest person I've dealt with during my time in this world that's for sure. If you write something that grabs his attention he can be very attentive but I think I've been classed as a "muggle" in his eyes due to my lack of interest in his chosen calling (and not the project I hasten to add). So I tend to receive short shrift from the coding warrior. He's a busy young man and I've only occasionally felt the urge to throttle him. *chuckle*

DWMagus wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Relevant thread. Scott Manley is going to get beta access, word of Josh. Someone should notify them both. :P Getting the game to Scott Manley would bring a huge boost in free advertisement.
Why do people keep assuming that Josh needs advertisement? Especially before the game is finished?
I'm not. :P It's not been released yet. This is for after it's released. And good press is never, ever a bad thing... unless, of course, you don't want people to know about whatever it is you're doing.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: So, Scott Manley has Taken an Interest but...

It's an odd decision for an independent game developer to need to make.

Suppose some high-ish profile person-who-talks-publicly-about-games didn't pony up for beta access during the Kickstarter. Should they be given an early copy of the game for free because they have a lot of followers?

Or should they pay for the game when it's released like everyone else, and review it then?

If some people should get special early access, how do you decide who gets it and who doesn't? Where do you draw the line?

Actually, it's an easier decision for an independent game developer than it is for a larger company.

With a larger company, no one person can say "This person gets it, and this person doesn't." With a one-man venture, however, it's easy: you pick and choose. The only thing that decides who gets it is the whim of the person involved. If Josh wants his second cousin thrice removed to get a free copy, then Billybob gets a free copy. It's pretty much as simple as that. :)

If you wanted to do that with a larger company you'd have to have well-defined rules that all the higher-ups agreed on, and there would have to be applications, and the applicants would need reviewed, and all that mess. With Josh, he can just pick and choose.

And, frankly... none of us are Scott Manley. Or major YouTube personalities, or well-known members of the press, etc. Even if we were... Say, one of us has 14mil followers on YouTube with the screen name TheoryLtd. Just because TheoryLtd has 14 mil followers doesn't mean he gets a free copy if he asks for it. If Josh doesn't particularly like him, Josh doesn't even have to respond to the request. Actually, it's not so much a matter of them asking - it's more of Josh just giving it to a few select people he wants to have a copy. That's really all it is. As to the final version, I doubt anyone's getting a free copy of that (except perhaps family members) - at that point anyone can have it. Beta participation is special, though.

Heh, it's 3 AM here, so I don't doubt I missed the point. I'm having trouble sleeping as of late.

I think it's very possible that Scott Manley, like many others, simply wasn't aware of LT's kickstarter campaign while it was still going. Not everyone keeps a close eye on Kickstarter. Most people don't, actually.

edit: And I'm sorry if I offended anyone. :(

I'd never heard of Kickstarter before the space sims started appearing, Talvieno. It was Elite Dangerous that made me sit up and take notice. The other, hard to miss, space sim of note was Star Citizen. If CR could see the worth of this project then I fail to see how Mr Manley missed it.

He is supposed to be a bit of a legend when it comes to space games. :angel:

Edit: Get some sleep, young man. :) And I doubt if anyone was offended by what you said. ;)

Online Now