Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

Well, that's not really the problem. I know you guys speak German - you and Fawkes both, for instance. Lum does too, and I'm sure there are lots of other people as well. The main problem is that all my cryptographic knowledge is based on English. I don't know, for example, the frequency of letters in German, or know anything about patterns in German words, common suffixes/prefixes, double letters, or even any German words to begin with, really. Trying to decode something in another language is possible, obviously, but not something I could easily accomplish in a few hours, and that's all I wanted to spend on it. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm
CSE wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:47 pm
I took a solid stab at deciphering this, but was unable. While I was frustrated by this, it was still a lot of fun, so you have that to your credit. Still, it would've been nice to know what it was. :P I feel like I'm missing an important part of this entry.
Thanks for trying, Talv... euh anonymous judge :-). I will reveal the whole when I have access to my computer. It is always difiicult to judge what is too easy, and what too hard. I thought that having 3 symbols would shout trinary and than using simple ascii was the first code every would use (with several grouping options) - because I wanted to add a difficulty making it not in english was an added complexity, but it is obviously easier when you design it than when you have to find it out!
IRC wrote:

Code: Select all

Cornflakes: trinary groups of 3 gives 27 possible symbols, thats the alphabet with one spare
Talvieno: no, i already tried that and it doesnt work out!
Told you so tal :P

Well, that would be an option. But what with small and large letters, numbers and punctuation? Ascii needs a bit more positions, so I'll let as an exercise to the student the number of triary bits required (as I do not remeber and am away from my computer) :-)
And Talv is right, the added complexity of another language make a brute force search with frequency unusable. I was actually thinking people would try ascii first and be perhaps several seconds puzzled by the strange language.
Turns out ascii was not the obvious first choice everybody would try - guess I am not a cryptographist :-)

CSE wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm
And Talv is right, the added complexity of another language make a brute force search with frequency unusable. I was actually thinking people would try ascii first and be perhaps several seconds puzzled by the strange language.
Turns out ascii was not the obvious first choice everybody would try - guess I am not a cryptographist :-)
I wasn't really using brute force, but no, I didn't think of ASCII. I didn't expect you to add another layer atop 0-27, as that fairly closely matches the alphabet anyway. I actually rather expected a pangram (using the method I found, I thought you were using exactly 26 different characters), but a German pangram? I didn't have much chance of figuring that out. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 pm
Katorone suggested that if we don't have enough entries this month, we let it go over the normal one-month limit until we have enough.
If you think an extension makes sense, it would be best to annouce it early.

I did not and will not start working on something as early August is impossible, being basically away the whole time with few days at home (to work) next week. I would be disapointed however if by early August, I learn of an extension to mid August and have again only to short time to start from scratch (I am not even thinking to find an idea right now), while it would have been possible if starting at once.
I would love to try doing something for such a nice topic like combat, but I will only if knowing asap that the dealine is at least mid August and hence I have the two first august week-ends to work on it.
Again, feel free to ignore my rant, just selfishly exaplaining my situation :?

Online Now