Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

IronDuke wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 am
I'm curious; how do you create that level of detail? Do you really manually create every single bump and protrusion on that thing, or do you run a tool/algorithm?

--IronDuke
I used to :twisted: Then I realised that was completely bonkers, so I found an easier way. I updated Wings3D and t turns out you can randomly select a number for faces on an object (10%, 20%, etc) which makes it much easier.

Congratz HowSerendipitous
A really neat idea. The news items themselves instantly give those Freelancer vibes, it's great! The design can be better, though; Microsoft Word limitations show themselves clearly here.
I agree that word is not the best to do this in, unfortunately it was the best that I could think of that was available for me :(. If someone has any tips on better programs to make stuff like that in (preferably free programs), feel free to tell me :)
The text justification makes this almost unreadable to me.
Yes, I know :V, the only reason I did it was because all my references images (google search for old news papers :V) had justified text, it didn't really turn out like I would've liked it to though. I tried to make it look better but since I made this during my exam period I didn't really want to sink too much time in it :s
It's a very neat idea, though I have to question the ethics behind mentioning a judge (T. Vieno) in your entry. ;) I still took no points off for that, however.
Oops :oops: I didn't really think about him being a judge when I wrote that :oops: I swear it wasn't my intention to influence a judge.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Woo, thanks :twisted: And congrats to everyone else!
A Judge wrote: •Well-written, with wit and humor, there's nothing negative I can say about the story, apart maybe from being a bit confused by the amount of characters introduced all at once.
Thanks. That's a fair point, I could've spaced it out a bit better. Though it was already longtastic.
Another Judge wrote: • I wouldn't want to be on Strauss' shitlist! Great read!
Thanks... And no, nor would I :twisted: That said, I've got a soft spot for the evil fecker.
Yet Another Judge wrote: • Not an entirely unexpected plot twist, but I very much liked this piece. If this was part of a novel, I'd eagerly read the whole thing. Unfortunately, I doubt you have the time or reason to write a novel, so I'll have to be satisfied with what I have.
Thanks... I did muse on maybe writing a group of short stories about the cadets and their flailing though officer training. Who knows!

Congratz HS!
Intriguing. I would've loved to have read more of this story! You set up an excellent atmosphere. I really enjoyed it. It was far too short, but take that as a compliment.

It's well-designed, even if unoriginal. Loved the REKT references! However, the perspective doesn't change where it should (in the very end, it continues as if from the eyes of the main character while it should be third-person), and the dialogues are still a bit unnatural (although clearly an improvement upon earlier works).

A fun story and enjoyable read.
Ho. That's a nice face-plant I did there^^ Hopefully left a nice dent there! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the critique though^^ I'll see what I can do about those points!
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Congrats to HS and to all other contestants!
Thanks for the nice comments!
I am traveling right now with only temporary access to the web, so I cannot say much nor use my computer... will be back in a good week!
Nicely done. Sadly the code was illegible to me, even when zoomed in.
Sorry, this was difficult to have the code legible while being embedded in a nice environment. This is why I provided a very legible :twisted: copy of the plate.
I took a solid stab at deciphering this, but was unable. While I was frustrated by this, it was still a lot of fun, so you have that to your credit. Still, it would've been nice to know what it was. :P I feel like I'm missing an important part of this entry.
Thanks for trying, Talv... euh anonymous judge :-). I will reveal the whole when I have access to my computer. It is always difiicult to judge what is too easy, and what too hard. I thought that having 3 symbols would shout trinary and than using simple ascii was the first code every would use (with several grouping options) - because I wanted to add a difficulty making it not in english was an added complexity, but it is obviously easier when you design it than when you have to find it out!
Haven't tried deciphering it; I just assume it's the usual CSE's punchline that's hidden there :) The sheer quality of the work is astounding. My only problem is that all the gorgeous tubes take the focus away from the topic of this contest.
You'll be disappointed by the message.... and thanks for finding my nice factory gorgeous! Was fun to model!

CSE wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:47 pm
I took a solid stab at deciphering this, but was unable. While I was frustrated by this, it was still a lot of fun, so you have that to your credit. Still, it would've been nice to know what it was. :P I feel like I'm missing an important part of this entry.
Thanks for trying, Talv... euh anonymous judge :-). I will reveal the whole when I have access to my computer. It is always difiicult to judge what is too easy, and what too hard. I thought that having 3 symbols would shout trinary and than using simple ascii was the first code every would use (with several grouping options) - because I wanted to add a difficulty making it not in english was an added complexity, but it is obviously easier when you design it than when you have to find it out!
IRC wrote:

Code: Select all

Cornflakes: trinary groups of 3 gives 27 possible symbols, thats the alphabet with one spare
Talvieno: no, i already tried that and it doesnt work out!
Told you so tal :P

Online Now