Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

I'm going to close the thread now, and work on opening up the next one. I left it open a few more days hoping we could get another entry. Only five entries means we'll only be handing out two prizes this month, but the two winners will be able to choose from three.

Judging for April is almost done, but not quite, so we should (hopefully) get results today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd like to pin down exactly why we didn't have many entries this month. Was it... lack of interest, lack of time, or lack of ideas? (i.e., a bad topic choice?) What do you guys think?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I had a really hard time to come up with something that was not what I did for research. Only found something 2 days before the deadline and didn't have time to finish it.
Too bad, was funny.
For sake of puns: I was going to make
In Formation
[image of ships flying in formation towards a colony]
In line with the theme, because in formation has to do with information! Of course I added a space, but LT is a space game, so adding a space is ok.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:I had a really hard time to come up with something that was not what I did for research. Only found something 2 days before the deadline and didn't have time to finish it.
Too bad, was funny.
For sake of puns: I was going to make
In Formation
[image of ships flying in formation towards a colony]
In line with the theme, because in formation has to do with information! Of course I added a space, but LT is a space game, so adding a space is ok.
Damned, damned :evil:

Why did not I have this wonderul idea - information. Perfect joke material.
Pity you did not realize something with it.

For my side: time was short. Now come the summer time, so for me juli at least will probably be a no-go (3 weeks without computer). Perhaps we may extend a bit the deadlines? As a model: 2 topics for 2 months. An entry can compete for either or both topic (in which case its point value or rank is the highest of both competition, bus without bonus as this would disadvantages multiple entry, and we want more!), and anybody is allowed one entry per topic. There is however only one combined ranking per two month period. Then the chances that everybody has an idea and time is higher, and motivated people can still do one per month.

[edit as fully unclear!]
Last edited by CSE on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Talvieno wrote:I'm going to close the thread now, and work on opening up the next one. I left it open a few more days hoping we could get another entry. Only five entries means we'll only be handing out two prizes this month, but the two winners will be able to choose from three.

Judging for April is almost done, but not quite, so we should (hopefully) get results today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd like to pin down exactly why we didn't have many entries this month. Was it... lack of interest, lack of time, or lack of ideas? (i.e., a bad topic choice?) What do you guys think?
No idea. It's such a wide thingy my tiny little brain exploded with ideas. Ah well, chalk it up to be people being busy :squirrel:

HS: do you know if there is a way to render in Vue a wireframe view of the objects (see-throuh, but actually with the final geometry of boolean objects, not with each component)? - I only think of a complex option by defining a new transparent material with a grid - but this would not display the edges...
Thanks!
(Post and not private message as this may be helpful for others)

CSE wrote: HS: do you know if there is a way to render in Vue a wireframe view of the objects (see-throuh, but actually with the final geometry of boolean objects, not with each component)? - I only think of a complex option by defining a new transparent material with a grid - but this would not display the edges...
Thanks!
I couldn't find any way with rendering, but you can do it with the preview. Just switch to wireframe mode using the little dropdown button just above the preview camera view, select wireframe mode, then maximise the camera view. It's not perfect, but you can see the geometry. :twisted:

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:39 am
CSE wrote: HS: do you know if there is a way to render in Vue a wireframe view of the objects (see-throuh, but actually with the final geometry of boolean objects, not with each component)? - I only think of a complex option by defining a new transparent material with a grid - but this would not display the edges...
Thanks!
I couldn't find any way with rendering, but you can do it with the preview. Just switch to wireframe mode using the little dropdown button just above the preview camera view, select wireframe mode, then maximise the camera view. It's not perfect, but you can see the geometry. :twisted:
Good idea. Initially, I though it failed because it was showing (in red) all unitary elements from bolean objects, but obviously (red was a telltale!) it was only for the selected object. Deselect, et voila - indeed you see the geometry :-)
Thanks.

The results for April are up!!! Congratulations to the winners! :) Prizes will now be distributed in this thread as per usual. HowSerendipitous is up first, with a choice between Titan Quest Gold, Reassembly (which he already has for sure), Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, and Natural Selection 2.

Thank you to everyone that submitted entries, and thank you to the other two judges! :D The LTFC is only possible to maintain because of all you wonderful people!
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I'm not entirely sure what's going on in this image. I see the ship, yes, but beyond that... the rest is a blur to me. Are those asteroids? Damaged ship pieces? It's difficult to tell. I feel like you did this in a hurry... but that said, I do like it all the same.
Have you tried glasses? Cause all other judges could see it just fine :P And no, I didn't actually do this in a hurry...
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now