Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

CSE wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:38 pm
Yup, it says it's using all 8 available threads :twisted:
Yeah, I fear I was not clear: because today, with 4 cores and hyper threading, Vue already uses 8 threads indicating 800% Processor, I am wondering if tomorrow with 8 cores (and arguably still using 8 threads as it seems to be the limit of the license; but I actually don't know that, was only mentioned in some forum discussions), I will have a significant performance gain or not.
Actually, by browsing (p. 46) a PDF drawn before the e-on website disappeared, I found a bit of a different story: 8 CPUs (up to 12 CPUs with R3+ update - I have R5). So if they say 8 CPU, does it mean on 8 cores with hyper threading, I would get 16 threads - 1600% Processor? and up to 2400% with 12 cores? That would be a real speed bump!

Just looking for info, I see that Vue complete has "5 RenderCow licences" included - would that mean I could use a new and the old computer to divide the work? Any experience with that (preferably on Mac)?

As you see, still out of my depth there...
you could let me try with my 16 threads :ghost:

and from the phrasing i'd guess they mean threads, not CPUs.
looks to me like its a marketing doc made by marketing people

CSE wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:31 am
I really should finish my entry..... It's mostly there, just needs some tweaking!
Yep, we are still expectantly waiting. No pressure.
Just doing a high quality test render.... If that's good, I'll bump the resolution and do the final one. I'm using a spectral atmosphere, and while it looks good it eats CPU like a fat man eats cake :squirrel:

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm
Is.... Is it time to start coughing? :twisted:
The patient seems almost clinically dead. Perhaps indeed a cough could revive it a bit (speaking of the forum, not our Talv).

Btw, HS, pretty neat lights effect in your entry, and nice ships, both on water and in the air.
If I may a small critic: the squary texture in the first plan buildings do not map very nicely on rounded shape, in my opinion, that make it look a bit unnatural, while the background city is amazing!

CSE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:55 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm
Is.... Is it time to start coughing? :twisted:
The patient seems almost clinically dead. Perhaps indeed a cough could revive it a bit (speaking of the forum, not our Talv).

Btw, HS, pretty neat lights effect in your entry, and nice ships, both on water and in the air.
If I may a small critic: the squary texture in the first plan buildings do not map very nicely on rounded shape, in my opinion, that make it look a bit unnatural, while the background city is amazing!

Constructive criticism is always appreciated... I must admit, I was on a clock with this one so I kinda' had to just roll with it at times. I thought any building would be a bit rubbish up close, so I made sure to put lots of things in between! :squirrel:

I really don't know what to do with the LTFC. I've been unusually busy lately and (obviously) LTFC has taken a side seat. It's been a couple weeks since I made my last REKT post too (which everyone is still waiting on). Between trying to find a job, getting ready to (hopefully) move, and trying to help my gf emotionally cope with her dying father, I'm stretched a bit thin.

What do you guys think we should do with LTFC? It feels a lot different now, knowing that LT isn't actually coming out. Not only that, but things have changed for me financially as well. I need to set up a poll for this last contest, and I'll offer a prize for that as promised, but at the moment I'm down to emergency funds, and unless I can find a job somewhere (tough prospect without a college degree) I won't have the spare funds to continue offering prizes. Not at all sure what to do about that either.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 pm
I really don't know what to do with the LTFC. I've been unusually busy lately and (obviously) LTFC has taken a side seat. It's been a couple weeks since I made my last REKT post too (which everyone is still waiting on). Between trying to find a job, getting ready to (hopefully) move, and trying to help my gf emotionally cope with her dying father, I'm stretched a bit thin.

What do you guys think we should do with LTFC? It feels a lot different now, knowing that LT isn't actually coming out. Not only that, but things have changed for me financially as well. I need to set up a poll for this last contest, and I'll offer a prize for that as promised, but at the moment I'm down to emergency funds, and unless I can find a job somewhere (tough prospect without a college degree) I won't have the spare funds to continue offering prizes. Not at all sure what to do about that either.
FIrst: we are thankful for everything you did and have no expectation (we may have hopes, but this is different) for the future; so do not feel in anyway put under pressure. Real life is always more important, so please take all the time you need to support your gf and to find the perfect job (man - with your talents you should have already scored a few propositions... but I understand the lack of formal diploma is always a big issue nowadays - if you need a "recommendation letter" for what you did here - Community management, writing stories incl. REKT, programming bots - we can sure try making something up).

Second: I guess there is a general uncertainty with what will happen with this place. We hope it won't die, and as you are the only responsive "red"-guy around, it falls (again) on you. I guess before answering about LTFC, an answer (or a discussion) about the future of this place is in order; but you (not being owner of the domain and the server) may not be in position to make any statement. Perhaps still, after almost 3 months, we should start at least discussing about possible futures.

Third: for LTFC: obviously, nobody expect prizes. Do not worry at all about this. The international fame linked with a good result is reward enough ;) . And this is valid also for past competitions - do not use your emergency funds for that, please! I can only speak for myself, but the presence of an external motivation and deadline did have a huge impact on my productivity; I am basically not doing anything serious since LTFC stopped. This is why we sort of hope it may continue in some form. Depending on the future of this place (well, mostly depending on the possible lack of future of this place) I may need to find another location where I can get motivation and feedback. It will be tough to find such a community again...

For (2) - do you think we can start such discussion, or the decency is to wait for Josh to speak his mind, whenever he will feel like coming back to the living?

CSE wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 pm

FIrst: we are thankful for everything you did and have no expectation (we may have hopes, but this is different) for the future; so do not feel in anyway put under pressure. Real life is always more important, so please take all the time you need to support your gf and to find the perfect job (man - with your talents you should have already scored a few propositions... but I understand the lack of formal diploma is always a big issue nowadays - if you need a "recommendation letter" for what you did here - Community management, writing stories incl. REKT, programming bots - we can sure try making something up).

Second: I guess there is a general uncertainty with what will happen with this place. We hope it won't die, and as you are the only responsive "red"-guy around, it falls (again) on you. I guess before answering about LTFC, an answer (or a discussion) about the future of this place is in order; but you (not being owner of the domain and the server) may not be in position to make any statement. Perhaps still, after almost 3 months, we should start at least discussing about possible futures.

Third: for LTFC: obviously, nobody expect prizes. Do not worry at all about this. The international fame linked with a good result is reward enough ;) . And this is valid also for past competitions - do not use your emergency funds for that, please! I can only speak for myself, but the presence of an external motivation and deadline did have a huge impact on my productivity; I am basically not doing anything serious since LTFC stopped. This is why we sort of hope it may continue in some form. Depending on the future of this place (well, mostly depending on the possible lack of future of this place) I may need to find another location where I can get motivation and feedback. It will be tough to find such a community again...

For (2) - do you think we can start such discussion, or the decency is to wait for Josh to speak his mind, whenever he will feel like coming back to the living?
Eh, you pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly :twisted:

Online Now