Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am
This month has not gone quite as expected, and I haven't had regular Internet as expected, so I'm a bit late in getting this started back, but I'm going to get it up today! :D Stay tuned, folks. This month's topic should be considerably easier than last month's, so hopefully that'll bring more entrants.
Cool - thanks for the next topic. Indeed an easier one...

Regretfully, it came just after the period with more free time (christmas holiday) into a period with professional trips and few time on the computer. Will do what I can...

CSE wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm
Regretfully, it came just after the period with more free time (christmas holiday) into a period with professional trips and few time on the computer. Will do what I can...
I apologize for that, but I figured it would be best to do it at the start of the month instead of the middle. Makes it easier to say "This is the January 2018 contest" instead of "This contest is kinda in january, and kinda in february". :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 pm
CSE wrote:
I apologize for that, but I figured it would be best to do it at the start of the month instead of the middle. Makes it easier to say "This is the January 2018 contest" instead of "This contest is kinda in january, and kinda in february". :P
No problem. Makes sense to make it January, of course! That just mean I need to come with a solution that need less computer quality time :).
A propos - my entry will be a bit more text-driven. Would there be a native english speaker out there willing to correct the main mistakes in the text before posting? I guess I would have a draft next week-end, so that leaves a few days for corrections...

CSE wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 pm
CSE wrote:
No problem. Makes sense to make it January, of course! That just mean I need to come with a solution that need less computer quality time :).
A propos - my entry will be a bit more text-driven. Would there be a native english speaker out there willing to correct the main mistakes in the text before posting? I guess I would have a draft next week-end, so that leaves a few days for corrections...
Sure, CSE, I'd be happy to proof-read for you.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:58 pm
Think I might enjoy this competition..... :twisted:
How do you come up with the shapes and details for your models? Is it just ad hoc or is it more planned? That's what I struggle with most.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

CSE wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:48 pm
FormalMoss wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 am

Sure, CSE, I'd be happy to proof-read for you.
Thanks! I am traveling right now. When I am back home, I’ll put everything together and send you per pm a link to the file. Can you open/edit open office?
I have Libreoffice on my Linux Mint O/S :)
Not an issue if I have to install Open Office :P
Last edited by FormalMoss on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
How do you come up with the shapes and details for your models? Is it just ad hoc or is it more planned? That's what I struggle with most.
Heh, usually I wing it. I come up with an idea of a shape, take a cube, then extrude the hell out of it until I've got something that resembles a spacecraft! Once you've got something that's vaguely shippy, then you can start adding details to it. I usually do that by chopping up the faces and either extracting or extruding them. for things that need to be a different colour, extraction'll create a face in the shape of the area you've got selected, then you can fiddle with it to create the details.

This ship's a bit different though. I based it on a previous model that you can see in pretty much everything I've ever entered. I actually loaded the original model and modelled this one beside it so I could get the size and proportions similar, but looking more advanced. But if it's inspiration you're looking for, just go into Google Images and poke around; just typing 'destroyer spaceship' came up with loads of ships that could give you ideas for hulls and greebles. And Hyperion came up with that lovely thread of concept art that'd also help.

And if anything, just go play about with the 3D software and you'll come up with something! :twisted:
Attachments
New-Ship2 copy.jpg
New-Ship2 copy.jpg (76.66 KiB) Viewed 7333 times

CSE wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Stay tuned... this is the exact topic of my entry this month :mrgreen: :shh:
This'll make for an interesting entry! :twisted:

Also, Black--Snow, I stumbled on this. Another good way to find inspiration!

Sauce!

Online Now