Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

CSE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:35 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 am
Eeeeexcellent, awesome work Talvieno, thanks :twisted:
HS, it seems you are pasting objects (cannons) on another object (ship) in Wings 3D. how do you do that? I know only a bridging, but that requires lot’s of work as everything must be first positioned correctly and tesselation of appropriate size and shape must be created.
Thanks for any hint!
Happy to help! Just make sure what you want to paste is saved as a separate file and use the merge option under 'File'.... Easy as that :twisted:

You've also got the duplicate function once the model is in there, it'll duplicate it on any axis. I've also found a clever way to scale and rotate multiple part objects around the same point, just right click on the relevant option and you can select a point/edge/face to use. Makes resizing stuff much easier.

CSE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 pm
:D One of my first LTFC entries was a vaguely similar ship.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Cool. Now that it is not a contest, perhaps... we will see some entry from you? Now they are hidden in REKT, mostly ;).

Btw thanks for running with the concept and improving it. The poll is a great idea, it may increase the feedback/discussion!
I might do that, yes. :P I could, now that I'm no longer a judge - and indeed, now that no judging is necessary.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am
CSE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 pm
:D One of my first LTFC entries was a vaguely similar ship.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Cool. Now that it is not a contest, perhaps... we will see some entry from you? Now they are hidden in REKT, mostly ;).

Btw thanks for running with the concept and improving it. The poll is a great idea, it may increase the feedback/discussion!
I might do that, yes. :P I could, now that I'm no longer a judge - and indeed, now that no judging is necessary.
Do eeeeeet, the more the merrier.

I'm getting closer to a finished ship. Needs a bit more colour, some more lights... But overall it's starting to look pretty good :twisted:
Attachments
Rarrrrrrrr.jpg
Rarrrrrrrr.jpg (117.6 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

CSE wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 am
I'm getting closer to a finished ship. Needs a bit more colour, some more lights... But overall it's starting to look pretty good :twisted:
Yeap, pretty good indeed!

Talv, I guess the texture is procedural, not a picture tiling. At least this is how I do it, normally.
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:18 pm
That looks outstanding! :D particularly like the lighting and texturing - the texturing is awesome. I can't tell that it tiles, actually - does it even tile?
Thanks guys - CSE's right, it's procedural. I used the same one from the destroyer, just scaled up two and a half times on a ship five times larger.

Sweet! I dig it...the small details in proportion to the overall size really give it a sense of scale. Also digging the Gundam-esque thingy's on the side of the bridge.

A suggestion? :think: If you have this control...looks like you're using a quite high focal length for your render camera. Have you considered shortening the focal length to add some additional perspective to the scene? It will also double-down the huge-scale feel of it all (although you might have to re-position the other assets (planet, other ship) to pull them back into the scene).

:thumbup: Excellent! :clap:
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Col. Lewis B. Puller, USMC

thesleeve wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:13 pm
Sweet! I dig it...the small details in proportion to the overall size really give it a sense of scale. Also digging the Gundam-esque thingy's on the side of the bridge.

A suggestion? :think: If you have this control...looks like you're using a quite high focal length for your render camera. Have you considered shortening the focal length to add some additional perspective to the scene? It will also double-down the huge-scale feel of it all (although you might have to re-position the other assets (planet, other ship) to pull them back into the scene).

:thumbup: Excellent! :clap:
Thanks, and thanks for the tip - turns out I can control it! Currently it's set to 69mm (hur hur) so I'll have a tinker with it tomorrow. I tried 20mm and it just looked daft, so there might be a happy medium in there somewhere :twisted:

As usually, I prefer industrial to military. Therefore I went to design a capital ship to sustain a certain industrial base in remote corners of space, allowing to refill, repair and manufacture stuff.
The first problem is raw materials, so I made an asteroid capture bay (below) as well as a container logistic center. Then there is transformation, so there is some chemical plant. Finally a large presence like this must have auxiliaries, so there are three hangar bay, a utility bay (for small ships like forklifts) below, a longer range explorer (in front) and a military defence squad (in the back). The living quarters have windows (red, on the back) while the command center is blueish in front with large field of view. Finally there are some canons and here and there some details on the hull to give a sense of scale.

I used the advise of thesleeve and changed the focal length even if I do not really understand the difference :oops: .

Online Now