Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

Well it's not that I don't have time at all, it's that I don't have a lot of large blocks of it. Creating something kinda requires a free afternoon or two, whereas judging I imagine I can do in smaller parts.
Anyway, I say I give it a try for a month and I'll see if it works out.

Might have time to do this again in, say, a year or so, but we'll see :)
(idea is for Femsawer and I to look for a place together somewhere next year, closer to where we both work (so less time lost in driving to work) and also no longer requiring us to go out as much to see each other :D )
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

CSE wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am
The Vue equation editor is not self-explaining, but... with sweat it is possible to (mostly) make it what I want. Still lot's of issues, though.
A propos, HS - do you per chance know if there is in the equation editor any derivative/slope/normal function I can use? Not on coordinates, but on numbers.
Context: I use a noise node to get a pattern based on the location (x, y, z)->[0-1]. This pattern has distinct regions of the same value (imagine for example a political map: countries in one colour; one with 0.2, another with another colour 0.5 for example). I try to get the frontiers, so the locations where the value change (from 0.2 to 0.5 in our example) in order to make a line pattern (so from a (x, y, z), I get 1 if on the frontier, 0 if not). Could not find anything... it seems that as soon as the coordinates are transformed in a number, they loose the "view" of their neighbours.
Thanks for any hints...

CSE wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 pm
CSE wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am
The Vue equation editor is not self-explaining, but... with sweat it is possible to (mostly) make it what I want. Still lot's of issues, though.
A propos, HS - do you per chance know if there is in the equation editor any derivative/slope/normal function I can use? Not on coordinates, but on numbers.
Context: I use a noise node to get a pattern based on the location (x, y, z)->[0-1]. This pattern has distinct regions of the same value (imagine for example a political map: countries in one colour; one with 0.2, another with another colour 0.5 for example). I try to get the frontiers, so the locations where the value change (from 0.2 to 0.5 in our example) in order to make a line pattern (so from a (x, y, z), I get 1 if on the frontier, 0 if not). Could not find anything... it seems that as soon as the coordinates are transformed in a number, they loose the "view" of their neighbours.
Thanks for any hints...
Hmmm, that's a good question. Could you achieve the same effect with a mixed material using some kinda' cellular function, I wonder? Must admit, that's a tricky one :twisted:

0111narwhalz wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:44 pm
Have you tried using some kind of offset? If you have (u,v) and measure points adjacent to it (like (u+d,v) and so on) you should be able to determine whether a given point is on an edge by comparing the values of those points. With smaller values of d you'll more closely approach a derivative, and your edge detection output will be stronger.
This is a very good idea. Offset in one direction (x), then the other (y), substract both times with initial, take absolute value, add both, filter to a certain threshold... pity it's 1:30am and I just switched off my computer - need to try tomorrow!
Thanks HS and Narwhalz for your input!

Online Now