Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

HowSerendipitous wrote:
CSE wrote: Because anyway I already had the main price: you guys motivate me to get a new 3D software and to plunge again in the wonderful world of rendering. I had forgot how much fun it is... Thanks to HS for pointing me at Vue. I look forward to a bit more quiet times to have some serious session :geek:
Good stuff! Now get your arse on there and start rendering stuff! :twisted:

Speaking of which, so should I..... :squirrel:
As you see, I did...
And so you have... :clap: for your entry! Feels like a finished piece, not like mine :oops:
Btw, with which software do you make post productions? Cutting the scenes and adding the titles/music?

And what is your rendering size (pixels?).

CSE wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:
CSE wrote: Because anyway I already had the main price: you guys motivate me to get a new 3D software and to plunge again in the wonderful world of rendering. I had forgot how much fun it is... Thanks to HS for pointing me at Vue. I look forward to a bit more quiet times to have some serious session :geek:
Good stuff! Now get your arse on there and start rendering stuff! :twisted:

Speaking of which, so should I..... :squirrel:
As you see, I did...
And so you have... :clap: for your entry! Feels like a finished piece, not like mine :oops:
Btw, with which software do you make post productions? Cutting the scenes and adding the titles/music?

And what is your rendering size (pixels?).
I think your entry shows more imagination than mine though :thumbup:

For post production I used Adobe Premier CS2... It's pretty straightforward, surprisingly.

As for render size, I go with 1280x720 - at least for video. No point in going any higher because that's going to be the final res. Good to see you giving Vue a try! :squirrel:

HowSerendipitous wrote: I think your entry shows more imagination than mine though :thumbup:

For post production I used Adobe Premier CS2... It's pretty straightforward, surprisingly.

As for render size, I go with 1280x720 - at least for video. No point in going any higher because that's going to be the final res. Good to see you giving Vue a try! :squirrel:
Thanks for the compliment - I like the terrafroming idea as well.

Btw, did you use animated textures? With the function editor in Vue you can apparently connect parameters with the "time", thus making textues evolve over time (e.g. from grey to green to emulate veg growth). This in "fast forward" (so with clouds/sky changing very rapidely), coupled with a terrain animation (in direction of erosion), could make a really cool effect.
I am not however familiar enough with Vue to do it myself (yet).

You have no logo on the render. Does it mean you bought some version of Vue? Is it worth it?

Finally 1280x720? That would make my 20s render last about 4 days. I guess I need to cut on "volumetric lighting", this seems to kill the render speed.

Congrats to the other paticipiants as well!

> DanielW - how did you draw this? Is this "real" painting? Amazing
> Chad - many cool ideas in there!

DanielW wrote:Thanks to all. :)
And great work everyone.
@Slymodi: Whatever the story would be, I think it would have to do with some ginormous terraforming spaceship thing. :D
@CSE: Yeah it's a digital painting, done with a graphic tablet and pen.
As to how I paint this stuff, I have some painting videos recorded, if you're interested in the process:
Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/DanielWachterArt/videos

You should make more of those videos :)
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

CSE wrote: Btw, did you use animated textures? With the function editor in Vue you can apparently connect parameters with the "time", thus making textues evolve over time (e.g. from grey to green to emulate veg growth). This in "fast forward" (so with clouds/sky changing very rapidely), coupled with a terrain animation (in direction of erosion), could make a really cool effect.
I am not however familiar enough with Vue to do it myself (yet).
Yah, I was a bit pushed for time otherwise I'd have played about with eroding the terrains. For the planet orbital views, I generated the texture map, then again with slight changes, and again etc... 8 times overall, texture and bump map. I then changed the texture at 2 second intervals and Vue filled in the gaps. Pretty straightforward really.
You have no logo on the render. Does it mean you bought some version of Vue? Is it worth it?
Yup, I'm using Vue d'Esprit 8, it's a few years old now. I've also got a couple of the addons, Ecopainter, Ecosystem.... One or two others. When doing this render I really missed having the Zephyr addon! I'm considering upgrading to a later version though, as 8 has some weird quirks which have started to annoy me.
Finally 1280x720? That would make my 20s render last about 4 days. I guess I need to cut on "volumetric lighting", this seems to kill the render speed.
I used spectral lighting for mine - I'd have to do some comparisons to see what the difference would be. But the scene with the thick cumulus clouds took about 12 hours to render 6 seconds of footage... That was the most intense scene.

Thank you for all the feels, wishes and awesome contest entries! I'm touched by the concern and compassion.

Got to clear a few things up:
Rewards for October:
HowSerendipitous : natural selection 2, I'll make sure you get this key asap.
Shuul, would you like Landmark, Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY?

November:
The prizes for November are still undecided sadly. They'll be announced on sunday the latest.
Expect the scoring for November early next week.

December:
The theme for December will be about the end of the year, holidays and festivity, in an LT atmosphere.

Thanks again, everyone!
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now