Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

N810 wrote:Seeing as how I placed dead last in the previous contest, and geting several bad reviews...
hardly encourageing. :|
You entered first... after that I sort of raised the bar by quite a bit with my entry, and then we had Daniel bump it up even higher, followed by HowSerendipitous. :P You had the hardest spot.

It isn't really so much about the quality, though. I'm mainly using the contest as a means to get better at my work - and it's proving an excellent incentive for that. But really, even if I knew I couldn't win (I have a feeling it'll be very difficult to beat Just_Ice's comic, if not impossible), it's just fun. :)

i.e. I'm not good at getting it across, but it would be awesome if you entered.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
N810 wrote:Seeing as how I placed dead last in the previous contest, and geting several bad reviews...
You entered first... after that I sort of raised the bar by quite a bit with my entry, and then we had Daniel bump it up even higher, followed by HowSerendipitous. :P You had the hardest spot.

It isn't really so much about the quality, though. I'm mainly using the contest as a means to get better at my work - and it's proving an excellent incentive for that. But really, even if I knew I couldn't win (I have a feeling it'll be very difficult to beat Just_Ice's comic, if not impossible), it's just fun. :)

i.e. I'm not good at getting it across, but it would be awesome if you entered.
Exactly. I'll be finishing my entry tomorrow. It's just for giggles, but I'm quite pleased with what I've done so far. If I get the explosion right, it'll almost look like some kind of movie poster.

Hm. More inspiration!

:twisted:

Well, someone always has to come in last. No reason to be so discouraged. This is all in good fun. If you really are just in it to win, you might have the wrong mindset. Just do your best and let the pieces fall where they may.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

DarkCrescent wrote:In my opinion, negative reviews are the greatest thing ever. They're a great launching pad for improving. Assuming they're not trolls, of course.
No, if the judging of this contest turns into a trollfest where honest hard work gets steamrolled for the lulz, then I'd be happy to be permanently banned from these forums.

Jury members aren't obligated to give feedback, but can if they want to. Personally, I think it's important to let people know what they did right, or wrong. But everybody also needs to consider that the points are subjective. There's no such thing as objectivity when it comes to art.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:
DarkCrescent wrote:In my opinion, negative reviews are the greatest thing ever. They're a great launching pad for improving. Assuming they're not trolls, of course.
No, if the judging of this contest turns into a trollfest where honest hard work gets steamrolled for the lulz, then I'd be happy to be permanently banned from these forums.

Jury members aren't obligated to give feedback, but can if they want to. Personally, I think it's important to let people know what they did right, or wrong. But everybody also needs to consider that the points are subjective. There's no such thing as objectivity when it comes to art.
The other thing people need to keep in mind is that it seems as though this isn't just one category of a contest. If the contest was say, a photoshop contest, it would be much easier to see how entries relate. But when one person writes a story and one person creates a video--how exactly do you try to compare them so they're on a fair level? It's hard to see how much effort goes into an entry when you're comparing apples to oranges. :crazy:

However, I'm sure if Katorone wanted to theme each contest, we might see better judging results. :angel: ;)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now