Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

I have it up. I need to work on this though:
I'll personally be keeping an eye on it to read over anything you submit and I'll also comment on it - how you can improve, what the weak spots are, the parts I like about it best, and so on.
I did read the stuff you guys did but I think I forgot to do the commenting. :oops: Not good, to say the least. Not sure how it happened, either.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

HS, I am much, much too lazy for this route. BUT: my next project consist of making a procedural building generator: using the same type of function as the city but basically with a square/regular "sea-level" boundary to align them later on roads.

Anyway, it will never be as interesting as hand-crafted, so I real look forward seeing your renders.

By the way, one question to all the computer wizards out there: I hear on the internet that e-on Vue Complete can use a max. of 8 threads.
My current iMac has a quad-core with hyper threading, thus uses 8 threads (800% processor usage; i7@3.1GHz). In the last 6 years of so (the age of my computer) the processors did not become much quicker but you can easily buy iMac with 8 cores at 4.xGHz. So, can I expect becoming about 1.3x faster (4.x vs 3.1GHz, same amount of threads) or about 2.6x faster (double the cores and increase frequency)?
I am toying with the idea of changing my computer, but as my current one works fine, I don't want to do it for a meagre 30% speed boost.

I'm pretty sure it does use 8 cores, I'll check when I get a chance!

Bear in mind, GHz isn't everything. Changes in architecture mean that a CPU should be doing more per cycle than the previous generation. My CPU is a circa 2010 i7-920, chugging away at 2.67 GHz... Even though more modern CPUs have a modest increase in GHz, I'd bet they run a lot faster than +15% or so.

Best have a wee look at some benchmarks if you know what your CPU is.

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:38 pm
Yup, it says it's using all 8 available threads :twisted:
Yeah, I fear I was not clear: because today, with 4 cores and hyper threading, Vue already uses 8 threads indicating 800% Processor, I am wondering if tomorrow with 8 cores (and arguably still using 8 threads as it seems to be the limit of the license; but I actually don't know that, was only mentioned in some forum discussions), I will have a significant performance gain or not.
Actually, by browsing (p. 46) a PDF drawn before the e-on website disappeared, I found a bit of a different story: 8 CPUs (up to 12 CPUs with R3+ update - I have R5). So if they say 8 CPU, does it mean on 8 cores with hyper threading, I would get 16 threads - 1600% Processor? and up to 2400% with 12 cores? That would be a real speed bump!

Just looking for info, I see that Vue complete has "5 RenderCow licences" included - would that mean I could use a new and the old computer to divide the work? Any experience with that (preferably on Mac)?

As you see, still out of my depth there...

CSE wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:38 pm
Yup, it says it's using all 8 available threads :twisted:
Yeah, I fear I was not clear: because today, with 4 cores and hyper threading, Vue already uses 8 threads indicating 800% Processor, I am wondering if tomorrow with 8 cores (and arguably still using 8 threads as it seems to be the limit of the license; but I actually don't know that, was only mentioned in some forum discussions), I will have a significant performance gain or not.
Actually, by browsing (p. 46) a PDF drawn before the e-on website disappeared, I found a bit of a different story: 8 CPUs (up to 12 CPUs with R3+ update - I have R5). So if they say 8 CPU, does it mean on 8 cores with hyper threading, I would get 16 threads - 1600% Processor? and up to 2400% with 12 cores? That would be a real speed bump!

Just looking for info, I see that Vue complete has "5 RenderCow licences" included - would that mean I could use a new and the old computer to divide the work? Any experience with that (preferably on Mac)?

As you see, still out of my depth there...
Yah, that'd probably use 6 cores, with two threads per core, I'm guessing..... I don't think it'd use 16 as it appears to be a limitation with the software. Mine's the same as yours, a quad core using hyperthreading and it claims to be using 8. I did a quick test by opening the task manager and starting a render and, yup, CPU usage went straight to 100% on all 8 threads.

I'm not tried splitting the rendering as all of my old computers are too slow to be of any use. Though, thinking on it, that'd be a good use if I upgraded this machine................... :twisted:

Online Now